Any other ways to watch F1 in the UK?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wass85

Re: Any other ways to watch F1 in the UK?

The only benefit I get from Sky is the ability to record all sessions, I can't do the same on my Firestick.

flexcon

Jolle wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 10:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 10:48
gdanielwesley wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 05:40
How much does f1tv cost? Is there someplace that will tell me if it's available in my country (India)?

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
Go to https://www.formula1.com/en/subscribe-to-f1-tv-pro.html and it will detect your location and offer you the packages available and their price. In the UK, we can only get live timing / live data stuff along with some historic videos. We can't get the F1 TV Pro with live races streamed etc.
If you’re using apple devices, you could buy a apple iTunes card from for instance the Netherlands and open a Dutch iTunes account. Then with a VPN you could stream from there. I used to do that to get US Netflix (and now iPlayer from the UK)

This needs to be stickied.

create a US APPLE ID
buy US itunes gift cards and apply to account
Download the F1tv app from US store
Subscribe via the app to pay from gift cards

Subscribe to smartdnsproxy.com for $2 a a month and it works great

Been doing this for past 6 months and no issues at all.Like not one single issue

dodds_turbo

NOW TV offering 9 months Sky Sports (including F1) for £20 instead of £33.99. Cheapest legal way to watch F1 in the UK. Offer expires 27th March 2022.

https://www.nowtv.com/sports-purchase

Just_a_fan

dodds_turbo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 11:59
NOW TV offering 9 months Sky Sports (including F1) for £20 instead of £33.99. Cheapest legal way to watch F1 in the UK. Offer expires 27th March 2022.

It's still £180 for the season (actually £220 if one doesn't cancel the "free trial" offer for the boost thingy and then ends up paying the extra £5/month on top of the £20/month). And sadly it supports the "hide F1 behind paywalls" model and thus should be avoided. If we keep paying Sky et al, F1 will never again be freely available on TV.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dodds_turbo

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 13:09
dodds_turbo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 11:59

It's still £180 for the season (actually £220 if one doesn't cancel the "free trial" offer for the boost thingy and then ends up paying the extra £5/month on top of the £20/month). And sadly it supports the "hide F1 behind paywalls" model and thus should be avoided. If we keep paying Sky et al, F1 will never again be freely available on TV.
I appreciate it is a fair amout of money. However the Sky multi-year deal has been agreed long time ago and won't change if we sign up or not. Liberty Media have voiced their concern on pay-to-view only audiences and have made strides on YouTube and their own platform. unfortunately they cannot terminate the UK Sky deal early without losing out.

In the UK our options are pretty limited:

1. watch replay highlights on Channel 4 (limited to 60 minutes)
2. move abroad to take advantage of foreign broadcasters
3. don't watch F1

to ensure we don't support Sky?

Have I missed any options? Finding a free online stream is too much hassle and risk of sketchy website. plus I don't have the time to continually avoid pop-ups to end up watching the race in 640x480 resolution.