F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1jcw

Re: F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 20:37
Wass85 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:52
I've heard Max thinks the Mercedes times are not that impressive.
Source? I'm surprised any driver is publicly down-playing another team's performance at this stage.
Another person said this was the real statement

Max was asked about DAS:

"'I'm not worried about it,' said Verstappen, who drove half a day in the RB16 on Friday. 'My focus is now only on our own package. That's the only thing we can check. And then we see where we are at the first race weekend in Melbourne. It is up to the team (Red Bull Racing, ed.) Whether they invent things like that and I then provide feedback about my experiences in the car.'

Verstappen looks back with satisfaction on the first test week. 'So far everything has been running very smoothly. That is exactly what we want in such a first week. You have to get to know the car.'"

Wass85

I think it's safe to say these are the fastest F1 cars that have ever graced the earth and will stay that way for a good few years.

Jambier

Wass85 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 20:56
I think it's safe to say these are the fastest F1 cars that have ever graced the earth and will stay that way for a good few years.
Indeed, I'm not sure 2021 cars will be as fast.
This year cars... are truly amazing

Wass85

Jambier wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 21:22
Wass85 wrote:
A shame I don't think I'm going to get the chance to see them Trackside.

Mandrake

Wass85 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:02
Red Bull and Ferrari are definitely playing hard to get, onboard Hamilton didn't look all too amazing.
I was wondering about S3 the last chicane at times. Hamilton had to correct the steering quite often. Don't know how much fuel was on board, but it certainly didn't look super composed at all times.

Wass85

Mandrake wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 21:42
Wass85 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:02
Red Bull and Ferrari are definitely playing hard to get, onboard Hamilton didn't look all too amazing.
I was wondering about S3 the last chicane at times. Hamilton had to correct the steering quite often. Don't know how much fuel was on board, but it certainly didn't look super composed at all times.
Be careful what you say your post will get a negative vote.

The car looked very stable on the longer runs but on lighter fuel on the softest tyres he didn't look comfortable at all.

donskar

Fortunately, it is too soon to reach any definitive conclusions. Let's hope Ferrari OR Red Bull or SOMEONE can give Mercedes some competition. I can't see how one-make domination is good for any sport.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Big Tea

f1jcw wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 20:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 20:37
Wass85 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:52
I've heard Max thinks the Mercedes times are not that impressive.
Source? I'm surprised any driver is publicly down-playing another team's performance at this stage.
Another person said this was the real statement

Max was asked about DAS:

"'I'm not worried about it,' said Verstappen, who drove half a day in the RB16 on Friday. 'My focus is now only on our own package. That's the only thing we can check. And then we see where we are at the first race weekend in Melbourne. It is up to the team (Red Bull Racing, ed.) Whether they invent things like that and I then provide feedback about my experiences in the car.'

Verstappen looks back with satisfaction on the first test week. 'So far everything has been running very smoothly. That is exactly what we want in such a first week. You have to get to know the car.'"
To be fair, 'not worried about it' is not the same as not impressed. I mean as in Ah, yes, very impressive but I have a job to do here now. If there is nothing he can do about it, or eve if he plain has not had a good hard look at it, and what he has coming before Oz, spending time and energy on it is counter productive. It could be just a good mind set and he is doing his job?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

etusch wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:28
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:16
DAS banned for 2021. Didn’t the 2021 regs pretty much state that anyway?
Why they don't ban it this year too. If someone try to built same system on their car when they can not use it next year is a kind of waste
Saying it is banned are news outlets trying to get clicks... it was ‘banned’ last year for 2021 (when the rules were released), and the teams knew about it before then. Saying that Mercedes installed a system which they knew would be illegal next year is not near as exciting as saying it’s banned.

Ringleheim

Jambier wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 21:22
Wass85 wrote:
Next year's formula will be slower for sure, but that's OK.

This curent formula can't disappear fast enough for me.

Zynerji

We just need another 2010 with 5 drivers in it until the last race.

ChrisF1

Zynerji wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 03:17
We just need another 2010 with 5 drivers in it until the last race.
We don't even need that - just three drivers within 10 points in the final round would be immense. (Then change the venue of the last race to somewhere more exciting!)

izzy

There's quite a good article by Mercedes about how they analyse other teams' laptimes: https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2 ... s-learned/
Alongside the gradual capture of the testing fuel levels, the strategists are watching the speed and acceleration traces that come from the GPS system to look for changes in PU power. As the teams cycle through the power modes, we can get estimates of what power levels are available to each type of PU, and when they have been employed. This allows us to refine the pace estimates for each team, correcting for the mode usage in each run.

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

jumpingfish

izzy wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 12:20
There's quite a good article by Mercedes about how they analyse other teams' laptimes: https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2 ... s-learned/
Alongside the gradual capture of the testing fuel levels, the strategists are watching the speed and acceleration traces that come from the GPS system to look for changes in PU power. As the teams cycle through the power modes, we can get estimates of what power levels are available to each type of PU, and when they have been employed. This allows us to refine the pace estimates for each team, correcting for the mode usage in each run.
"What we can say is that we predict the battle in Melbourne at the front is going to be tight." As Ferrari fan I hope it will happen :) thanks for this good article