2020 F1 Regs Changes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

2020 F1 Regs Changes

I couldn't see a thread about regulations changes for 2020. I guess a mod will merge this with the relevant thread if I've missed something as they seem to have good grip of what's what in here ... :?

First of all, the regs are published here https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110

Here's a link to the 2020 Tech Regs published on 4 Dec 2019 https://www.fia.com/file/112562/download/29875

Sporting regs https://www.fia.com/file/112561/download/29874

The BBC has published a handy summary of the 4 Dec changes which includes:
Drivers will next year be able to use three MGU-Ks - one more than in 2019.

The move brings the MGU-K into line with the other parts of the power-unit in terms of permitted usage.

In addition, the engines require an electronics control box and a battery, with two of each being permitted for a season.

Among other minor tweaks, the chequered flag has been reinstated as the official signal of the end of the race. This follows a mix-up at this year's Japanese Grand Prix when a system error led to the official light panel at the start-finish line showing a chequered flag signal one lap before the end of the race.

And teams will no longer be able to use screens in front of their garages to obscure views of their cars during testing.

This is already banned at race meetings, but until now teams had blocked garages from sight in pre-season testing, mainly to stop other teams getting a view of their new designs.

The restriction will be in force from 09:00 to 18:00 local time each day and the only exceptions are when the floor of the car is not fitted or during the recovery and repair of a car damaged in a crash.

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50668906
I'm glad they've harmonised the MGU-K rule as it's embarrassing for so many drivers to start so far back.

Does anyone have info on the new control box and battery?

Finally, how long before a team introduces a section of quick drop floor during testing so they can screen the garage? (see Sport Regs 10.5a )

strad

Re: 2020 F1 Regs Changes

Richard, I would swear that under your name it says moderator :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sevach

The rumored dropingg of the Q2 tire rule hasn'tgone forward? Or that is another discussion?

NathanOlder

On the tyres,

what are the differences between the 2019 and 2020 tyres? I read the dimensions are changing, but cant find out by how much .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

MtthsMlw

And teams will no longer be able to use screens in front of their garages to obscure views of their cars during testing.
Ferrari got that covered

henry

Yet more requirements on clutch operation in section 9 of the Tech Regs to make launch more difficult for the drivers to control.

Having shuffled the pack to put them in speed order they hope to re -shuffle with the start.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Holm86

Sevach wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 04:26
The rumored dropingg of the Q2 tire rule hasn'tgone forward? Or that is another discussion?
Thats in the sporting regulations, not the technical, but yes, its been dropped

j)

With the exception of any cars that are required to start the race from the pitlane, at the
start of the race each car which qualified for Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which
the driver set his fastest time during Q2. This will only be necessary for these cars if dryweather tyres were used to set the fastest time in Q2 and if dry-weather tyres are used
at the start of the race.
Any such tyres damaged during Q2 will be inspected by the FIA technical delegate who
will decide, at his absolute discretion, whether any may be replaced and, if so, which
tyres they should be replaced with.
A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver whose car is not fitted with
the tyres with which he set his fastest time in Q2 (except if damaged tyres have been
replaced with the approval of the FIA technical delegate).

strad

They passed that a couple of years ago and the teams promptly ignored it.
A couple of team had the old screens up this season not mechanics lined up 6 abreast which I see no difference from screens.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sevach

Holm86 wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 11:45
Sevach wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 04:26
Thats in the sporting regulations, not the technical, but yes, its been dropped

j)

With the exception of any cars that are required to start the race from the pitlane, at the
start of the race each car which qualified for Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which
the driver set his fastest time during Q2. This will only be necessary for these cars if dryweather tyres were used to set the fastest time in Q2 and if dry-weather tyres are used
at the start of the race.
Any such tyres damaged during Q2 will be inspected by the FIA technical delegate who
will decide, at his absolute discretion, whether any may be replaced and, if so, which
tyres they should be replaced with.
A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver whose car is not fitted with
the tyres with which he set his fastest time in Q2 (except if damaged tyres have been
replaced with the approval of the FIA technical delegate).
I'm confused, you are saying they removed this section from the regs right?
Because it reads like it's still in.

NathanOlder

Yeah that says its still there.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

henry

The wonder of double negatives.

Holm86 is saying the PROPOSAL to drop the Q2 tyre rule has been dropped. Hence the rule continues.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Holm86

henry wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 11:27
The wonder of double negatives.

Holm86 is saying the PROPOSAL to drop the Q2 tyre rule has been dropped. Hence the rule continues.
Thank you, that's what I meant, I should have been more clear in my formulation 😄

Sevach

Bummer, that's a dumb rule.

Edit:Renault's take (that i agree with)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... d/4607819/

Juzh

it's basically top teams flexing their muscles to retain any possible advantage over anyone else.

This part says it all:
A plan to drop the Q2 tyre rule was discussed by the F1 Strategy Group this year. However, because the April 30th deadline for 2020 sporting regulation changes had passed, unanimity was required, and in the end the top teams and some of their satellites voted against any change. The rule also remains in place for 2021, even though unanimity is not needed at this stage.

Sevach

Juzh wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 16:52
it's basically top teams flexing their muscles to retain any possible advantage over anyone else.

This part says it all:
A plan to drop the Q2 tyre rule was discussed by the F1 Strategy Group this year. However, because the April 30th deadline for 2020 sporting regulation changes had passed, unanimity was required, and in the end the top teams and some of their satellites voted against any change. The rule also remains in place for 2021, even though unanimity is not needed at this stage.
They know it's bad but they don't care, F1 in a nutshell.

Maybe for 2021 they'll drop it because they can't be sure wether they'll still be out in front.