OT: Ford v Ferrari (the movie)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph

OT: Ford v Ferrari (the movie)

I thought it was really good, a bit too long, but good. I think it’s called Le Mans 66 in Europe, for some reason?
I’m glad this movie reinstates Ken Miles and his role in the GT40 project. I mean, I was familiar enough with the story, but somehow his name seems to have been left out a lot.

And the ultimate team order disaster, I can’t imagine how Miles must have felt when Hill was declared the winner over such a moronic technicality.

However, for me the quaintest thing about the movie was the pit stops. A couple of minutes, lol, or laps...

waynes

Re: OT: Ford v Ferrari (the movie)

havent seen this but i cant see it being better than "The 24 Hour War" on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/title/80158800

if you've got it, can find somewhere to acquire it, i highly recommend you do so.

zeph

yeah, the documentary was great. The movie takes a lot of dramatic liberties, obviously. Still worth seeing, though. The racing action was filmed very well.

strad

I haven't seen it yet but from the trailers I see way too much CGI stuff.
Seems that these days a movie is judged by how much CGI it has.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FrukostScones

strad wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 21:41
sadly, from Terminator 2 onwards it only went downwards with vfx.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 23:54
strad wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 21:41
sadly, from Terminator 2 onwards it only went downwards with vfx.
oh man, what memories, T1000 passing through the jail door was simply mindblowing. First 100% realistic VFX ever. I still remind I couldn´t believe it even when I was seeing it with my eyes. One of those memories I will never forget

And yeah, from then there was one or two decades of movies whose only appeal was vfx, with scripts any child could have improved. But lately things have changed again and some movies have much better scripts. I´ve not see the movie yet, but a good friend told me it´s pretty good, actually he said it´s one of the best movies he´s seen in a while

Mattchu

I thought the movie was pretty good all things considered, the way things were back in those days just seemed more natural for racing enjoyment, everything is to data focused nowadays!
Christian Bales English accent is funny sometimes, some very tongue in cheek "tally ho" moments.
Anyway, Iv`e a copy of it on Mega [for F1technical members only], pm me if you want a link...please remove this is you don`t like it mods.

ubuysa

I've recently seen it and found it a very engaging and enjoyable film. They take a few liberties with the real story and over dramatise some of the personal conflicts. I was also amused by the shots of drivers staring each other out at 190mph but it was great entertainment and definitely worth seeing.

BTW. Ken Miles was from Sutton Coldfield just north of Birmingham (no, the English one) and a favourite Midlands phrase in my youth there was 'going round the Wrekin'. Ken Miles says it in the film, I wonder whether anyone told Christian Bale what the Wrekin is...?

Sent using Tapatalk

dren

Great entertainment. It doesn't even go into the Shelby Daytona, but it was a good fun watch. It's definitely worth seeing in theaters.
Honda!

Just_a_fan

The Shelby Daytona is a different story in fairness.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

going round the Wrekin'.
Maybe you could enlighten us on this side of the pond?
the Wrekin???
The implication is that it refers to a place.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Mattchu

It just means going the long way round or doing something the hard way...

Big Tea

Mattchu wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 14:19
It just means going the long way round or doing something the hard way...
Am I correct in believing it was originally the name of a local 'hill"? As you say, instead of a direct rout, around the "Wrekin"
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mattchu

Not that I`m aware off, it`s more like a patch of waste ground you avoided. There is a hill called "The wrekin" but I don`t know if it`s anything to do with the saying.

Big Tea

Mattchu wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 16:08
Not that I`m aware off, it`s more like a patch of waste ground you avoided. There is a hill called "The wrekin" but I don`t know if it`s anything to do with the saying.
I wil lask my #Black country (NOT Birmingham or he gets cross :D ) mate
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.