2020 pecking order prediction

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nevill3

Re: 2020 pecking order prediction

Quoted below is my own predictions from last winter before testing began....I have just been reading the similar thread to this one but for last year and it was surprising to see how few people managed to get anywhere close to an accurate prediction......

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27758
nevill3 wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 20:04
My personal speculation would be that McLaren will jump back to the top of the field to replace RedBull in third spot. They obviously have been developing next years car almost as long as Williams have.

Red Bull may slip down the pecking order due to "learning how to maximize" the potential of the new Honda engine. The gearing and mapping will take a little time to extract 100% performance as well as optimizing the packaging of the new engine and its cooling (this is where McLaren failed this year) and Honda will once again be under increased pressure to help deliver results for a front running team after a year of experimenting.

Racing Point, or whatever they end up being called, may well struggle too. Reports of increased spending within the team by hiring new experts to fill holes does not always result in increased performance straight away as the new staff have to learn how to interact with the established members and can often cause unintended eddies in the smooth flowing processes they find themselves in. Just look at what happened to Williams this year after Paddy's influence began to assert itself and they abandoned the "low drag concept they had run for years" .

Renault are the dark horses this year, steady progress just like Mercedes had when they first returned, building the foundations for dominance slowly. Maybe another 12 months before they burst to the front though but they have the drivers capable of delivering strong results should they manage to design a winning car. Their story is mirroring the Mercedes story even down to poaching a driver from a top team and everybody asking the question why?

Mercedes and Ferrari will once again be setting the pace at the front, even if they get things slightly wrong at the start they both can out-develop almost everybody else to ensure they stay at the front.

Torro Rosso will benefit from greater input from the mothership regarding suspension, gearbox and engine so should be quicker once the Honda engine is capable of matching the others in both performance and reliability.

Sauber has fewer money troubles next year and are capable delivering an outstanding chassis so look to improve too.

Haas is learning all the time but I think they have peaked for now and may well struggle to match last years results.

Williams will surprise everyone at first, they have been designing and developing their new chassis for ages. The Stroll and Martini money would have paid for next years car but development throughout the year may be curtailed once the season gets underway due to reduced funding.

Overall, winter testing can not come soon enough I anticipate many predictions just like mine to wide of the mark and next year will surprise us all.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

F1NAC

GPR-A wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 11:10
ispano6 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 18:52
GPR-A wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 01:35
Neither was 6 doubles! Neither a team ever won championships across major rule changes like in 2017 and 2019 (albeit much smaller). There is a reason why this Mercedes team is arguably, the best team of all time.
Maybe because they got started on the engine formula before everyone else?
May be. But Honda had a full year hands on access to the class leading PU in 2014. They had the liberty to work without any token restrictions for 2014, which other manufacturers had, but still, came up with a donkey. So, having started early means nothing if you can't get it right. It was Ferrari who pushed for the new engine formula as they couldn't beat RBR, who had got a good hold of aero and with the stagnated V8s. G.
No, wasn't Renault (and maybe Cosworth) pushing for L4, before Ferrari vetoed that for at least V6? I don't seem to recall that Ferrari were the ones pushing for new engines

My prediction:

Merc/Ferrari
RB
McLaren
Renault
STR/Haas(at the beginning)
Alfa
Williams
RP

Sevach
Sevach

Super early going out on a limb impressions/predictions:
Mercedes vs Red Bull, both teams hit the ground running, their cars look well balanced and consistent and they are both good at developing...
Racing Point will be very good this season by virtue of their car being a W10.
Ferrari will start slow, maybe in a fight with RP, their car is the most changed from last year and they will struggle.
Because 21 is very much different they'll also drop everything to focus on the next car.

djones
djones

Top 5 for me and in this order:

1. Mercedes (by a long way)
2. Redbull (But only Max)
3. Racing Point
4. Ferrari
5. Mclaren

JordanMugen

F1NAC wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 09:51
No, wasn't Renault (and maybe Cosworth) pushing for L4
The original proposal was the FIA "World Engine" inline four turbo 1.6L. It was used in WTCC and WRC.

However V4 would have been a nice compromise with a cool sound. 8) Shame it didn't happen.

Prediction?

WCC standings
1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari

4. Racing Point

5. McLaren
6. AlphaTauri
7. Renault

8. Alfa Romeo
9. HAAS
10. Williams

WDC standings:
1. Verstappen
2. Hamilton

3. Bottas
4. Leclerc
5. Perez
6. Albon
7. Vettel

8. Sainz
9. Stroll
10. Norris

11. Gasly
12. Ricciardo
13. Kvyat
14. Ocon
15. Giovanazzi
16. Magnussen
17. Raikkonen

18. Russell
19. Grosjean
20. Latifi

Very boring prediction. :oops:

f1jcw
f1jcw

I wonder now if people would make corrections

godlameroso

It's clear that Mercedes are faster than last year, but it's not known how much faster they are. 15.7. Perhaps they have another .7 or .8 up their sleeve? It's still testing, and the car we see here may not represent what some teams bring to Melbourne. So we don't really know who's where, thank god everyone is more or less there. The entire field is separated by 1.7 seconds.
Saishū kōnā

dtro
dtro

godlameroso wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 23:02
It's clear that Mercedes are faster than last year, but it's not known how much faster they are. 15.7. Perhaps they have another .7 or .8 up their sleeve? It's still testing, and the car we see here may not represent what some teams bring to Melbourne. So we don't really know who's where, thank god everyone is more or less there. The entire field is separated by 1.7 seconds.
If pole around Barcelona last year was 15.4, I surmise that Merc has a tad more than .7-.8 up their sleeve.

It is nice to see the teams at the back of the field claw back some time, that's for sure.

Wass85
Wass85

The question is will this years pole time be faster than any lap around here before they introduced the terrible chicane at the last corner?

Pyrone89

1.14.xx is already on the cards so yeah
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

godlameroso

I almost wish these cars would go on for one more year. Imagine how fast they'd be. In 2016 Hamilton put it on pole with a 1:22.000

Think about that, his opening stint in testing is faster than 2016 pole, and he only goes faster from there.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 02:36
I almost wish these cars would go on for one more year. Imagine how fast they'd be. In 2016 Hamilton put it on pole with a 1:22.000

Think about that, his opening stint in testing is faster than 2016 pole, and he only goes faster from there.
I was thinking similar, but more for tightening up the field through convergence.

If one team runs away with 2021, and we are stuck with another Dynasty (no matter the team), I'm pretty sure I'll go find something else to follow.

Pyrone89

Zynerji wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 02:48
godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 02:36

I was thinking similar, but more for tightening up the field through convergence.

If one team runs away with 2021, and we are stuck with another Dynasty (no matter the team), I'm pretty sure I'll go find something else to follow.
Seeing how the 2014, 2017 and 2019 regulation changes went I suggest you already start making some preparations, especially if your favorite colour is not silver :wink:
And remember 2009 was also the same team acing it (Brawn became Mercedes). So basically the last 4 regulation changes the year after the Brackley team under whatever name was the clear favorite, with 2009 beimg the only year not being followed up do the resource limitations and late purchase by Mercedes giving RB the ability to overhaul them in that regulation set.
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 22 Feb 2020, 02:54, edited 2 times in total.

Racer X

WCC standings
1. Mercedes
2. Pink Mecedes
3. Ferrari
4. Redbull

5. McLaren
6. AlphaTauri
7. Renault

8. Alfa Romeo
9. HAAS
10. Williams

WDC standings:
1. Hamilton
2. Bottas

3. Perez
4. Vettel
5. Max
6. Stroll
7. Lec

8. Sainz
9. Albon
10. Norris

11. Gasly
12. Ricciardo
13. Kvyat
14. Ocon
15. Giovanazzi
16. Magnussen
17. Raikkonen

18. Russell
19. Grosjean
20. Latifi
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Pyrone89

Racer X wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 02:52
WCC standings
1. Mercedes
2. Pink Mecedes
3. Ferrari
4. Redbull

5. McLaren
6. AlphaTauri
7. Renault

8. Alfa Romeo
9. HAAS
10. Williams

WDC standings:
1. Hamilton
2. Bottas

3. Perez
4. Vettel
5. Max
6. Stroll
7. Lec

8. Sainz
9. Albon
10. Norris

11. Gasly
12. Ricciardo
13. Kvyat
14. Ocon
15. Giovanazzi
16. Magnussen
17. Raikkonen

18. Russell
19. Grosjean
20. Latifi
:lol: