Chinese GP under threat likely cancelled

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nevill3

Re: Chinese GP under threat likely cancelled

We have to also factor in that some countries are refusing entry to foreign nationals that have visited China or at the very least self isolating themselves for 14 days. If this becomes the norm across all countries then no team will want to send their staff to China anyway.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Rodak

nevill3 wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 18:31
It is being reported that there may be a possibility to swap the Chinese and Russian GPs

https://thejudge13.com/2020/02/04/russi ... is-deepens

No confirmation or official responses yet though
Yeah, well thejudge13 is a trash site, regurgitating other sites' original work....

I don't think the Chinese will allow a huge, closely packed crowd event to take place; there would be too much risk of contagion. I'm surprised China hasn't banned all sporting events, although they may have; If I were them I would. The decision will be made for F1 and it will be cancellation.

Edited to add: No American airlines are flying to China; BA and Qantas are not; Italy is not; France is not, etc, etc.

adrianjordan

ESPImperium wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 18:00
This GP will be called off, or that another GP will be strong-armed into changing with them, the fact that the customs authorities in China have been getting more officious over the years, hence why the Shanghai date is a clear fortnight away from another event either side of that date. I read something 5 or 6 years ago it was taking 2 days to clear the customs there, and now its close to double that i hear.

However, i do think, with the trend with this virus, and if the authorities in China are misreporting the numbers, this could become a global health emergency quicker. I think that the F1 calendar will be affected much more than just the Chinese date, I'll say the Vietnam date could look doubtful. And Australia will also look flakey soon if the spread of this virus spreads outside China with the doubling every 6-7 days as the data says. Nations will soon take the decision to self quarantine, or self quarantine from certain countries. The model i have, and if i have used the 'correct' figures correctly, that sometime today we will have half a million infections in China and 68,000 dead, not the 34,000+ and the 719 that is the present figure. We do know that he Chinese Communist Party are trying to take back control on Weibo and other Chinese social media platforms. I may be a little tinfoil hat on this.

The next 14 days, maybe even 7 will be the crunch for many dates. We could see Bahrain being the first date, then Zandvoort and after that who knows.

If this is the case, i can see all the teams look towards tracks in Europe who can host them for 4 days testing with two test sessions being planned. However, the teams can ship all their gear at minimum of 6 weeks before the GP, but they would like to send this 9 weeks before as it is cheaper and also allows them more of a buffer to clear customs in China, that cost off is a week on Monday, or 16th of February. The teams, Pirelli, FIA and FOM need to come to a decision. Otherwise, I think that the decision will be made for them by the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari, Pirelli, Renault, Red Bull and McLaren who will prevent their staff from going to China, or any other country close to the epicentre via a corporate ban.

The teams will also have to think carefully about how many staff they send on specific flights, as many teams travel together, also stay together in hotels. It may be asinine to suggest that many of them will look to segment their teams, sending half on one flight via one carrier, and half on another flight via another carrier or for those who know enough about aviation, even on different waves via the same carrier or different carriers. It would also be good to suggest that they will, like they did when the circus went to India, travel with excess engineers and mechanics as well in order to avoid the "Delhi Belly" as it was then, this time to give excess resource if some or all of the team is quarantined. Again, cost.

I think a likely cancellation will happen, all it needs is a politburo in Shanghai that is controlled by the CCP to say no for them and it's curtains. Liberty will simply not make a decision, it will be made for them. Since the Bahrain uprising of 2011, F1 has never made a decision on anything that affects a GP like this. F1 has an inability to make decisions like this. It will always leave it off, kick it into the long grass and bury its head in the sand.

It will be a sad loss off the calendar this year as the racing there is always good i feel.
It's already a worldwide emergency. Give it enough time though and the media will get distracted by something else and then all the overhype will die down.

Fact is, everything we've seen says that this strain is no more deadly than regular flu. The people who are dying are doing so as a result of secondary conditions such as pneumonia, which you can develop as a result of the common cold just as easily.

Yes, it's nasty, but at present it's being treated like the new plaque, which is over the top.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 21:51
ESPImperium wrote:
This GP will be called off, or that another GP will be strong-armed into changing with them, the fact that the customs authorities in China have been getting more officious over the years, hence why the Shanghai date is a clear fortnight away from another event either side of that date. I read something 5 or 6 years ago it was taking 2 days to clear the customs there, and now its close to double that i hear.

However, i do think, with the trend with this virus, and if the authorities in China are misreporting the numbers, this could become a global health emergency quicker. I think that the F1 calendar will be affected much more than just the Chinese date, I'll say the Vietnam date could look doubtful. And Australia will also look flakey soon if the spread of this virus spreads outside China with the doubling every 6-7 days as the data says. Nations will soon take the decision to self quarantine, or self quarantine from certain countries. The model i have, and if i have used the 'correct' figures correctly, that sometime today we will have half a million infections in China and 68,000 dead, not the 34,000+ and the 719 that is the present figure. We do know that he Chinese Communist Party are trying to take back control on Weibo and other Chinese social media platforms. I may be a little tinfoil hat on this.

The next 14 days, maybe even 7 will be the crunch for many dates. We could see Bahrain being the first date, then Zandvoort and after that who knows.

If this is the case, i can see all the teams look towards tracks in Europe who can host them for 4 days testing with two test sessions being planned. However, the teams can ship all their gear at minimum of 6 weeks before the GP, but they would like to send this 9 weeks before as it is cheaper and also allows them more of a buffer to clear customs in China, that cost off is a week on Monday, or 16th of February. The teams, Pirelli, FIA and FOM need to come to a decision. Otherwise, I think that the decision will be made for them by the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari, Pirelli, Renault, Red Bull and McLaren who will prevent their staff from going to China, or any other country close to the epicentre via a corporate ban.

The teams will also have to think carefully about how many staff they send on specific flights, as many teams travel together, also stay together in hotels. It may be asinine to suggest that many of them will look to segment their teams, sending half on one flight via one carrier, and half on another flight via another carrier or for those who know enough about aviation, even on different waves via the same carrier or different carriers. It would also be good to suggest that they will, like they did when the circus went to India, travel with excess engineers and mechanics as well in order to avoid the "Delhi Belly" as it was then, this time to give excess resource if some or all of the team is quarantined. Again, cost.

I think a likely cancellation will happen, all it needs is a politburo in Shanghai that is controlled by the CCP to say no for them and it's curtains. Liberty will simply not make a decision, it will be made for them. Since the Bahrain uprising of 2011, F1 has never made a decision on anything that affects a GP like this. F1 has an inability to make decisions like this. It will always leave it off, kick it into the long grass and bury its head in the sand.

It will be a sad loss off the calendar this year as the racing there is always good i feel.
It's already a worldwide emergency. Give it enough time though and the media will get distracted by something else and then all the overhype will die down.

Fact is, everything we've seen says that this strain is no more deadly than regular flu. The people who are dying are doing so as a result of secondary conditions such as pneumonia, which you can develop as a result of the common cold just as easily.

Yes, it's nasty, but at present it's being treated like the new plaque, which is over the top.
sure bud, that's why there are several cities in china quarantined with dozen-million inhabitants.
it's nothing, just a hype, what are people worrying about? #-o #-o #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 22:41
adrianjordan wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:

sure bud, that's why there are several cities in china quarantined with dozen-million inhabitants.
MERS is more infectious and more serious.... Yet goes unnoticed by the media and we don't have the same quarantines.

The only reason we're seeing quarantines is that people are infectious before they're symptomatic. Governments are being forced to take action because the media is building it up. That's how the world works now.

That same media hype is why we are suddenly getting hysterical people ringing 999 worried they might have it because they have a cold and we're in York last week, or bought a Chinese takeaway that tasted a bit funny. Both genuine calls to 999.

People calling this a killer disease and likening it to ebola are just feeding that hysteria. The death rate from it is low and almost everyone who has died would be at equal risk from flu or a bacterial respiratory infection.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

FrukostScones

adrianjordan wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 23:43
Manoah2u wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 22:41
adrianjordan wrote:

MERS is more infectious and more serious.... Yet goes unnoticed by the media and we don't have the same quarantines.

The only reason we're seeing quarantines is that people are infectious before they're symptomatic. Governments are being forced to take action because the media is building it up. That's how the world works now.

That same media hype is why we are suddenly getting hysterical people ringing 999 worried they might have it because they have a cold and we're in York last week, or bought a Chinese takeaway that tasted a bit funny. Both genuine calls to 999.

People calling this a killer disease and likening it to ebola are just feeding that hysteria. The death rate from it is low and almost everyone who has died would be at equal risk from flu or a bacterial respiratory infection.
sorry, I think this is factually incorrect.

I know you know your stuff, but this is maybe far more serious that we would want to believe.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

Has any of the drivers donated anything to the people in China?
They donated for animals in thebforest fire. What about this potential pandemic?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Wasn't it millions of animals though.
Against thousands of people.

Not saying its right or wrong. Just the scale. Helpless trapped animals, or Thousands of Chinese being helped by their government.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wass85

It's about time China cracked down on it's terrible eating habits.....

TAG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 18:12
Has any of the drivers donated anything to the people in China?
They donated for animals in thebforest fire. What about this potential pandemic?
China provides at least 95% of their population with some type of basic health care. Us Americans should be so lucky.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

RZS10

Now the coronavirus is officially a disaster ... damn

Jip
Jip

When are they going to plan this GP now? The calender is so tight. Maybe they need to do a back-to-back-to-back as they did in 2018, but that wasn’t a succes.

the EDGE

Personally I’m not too bothered whether it’s rescheduled or not... but I’m going to hate the 4 week gap in April... it’s bad enough in August but at least the weather is nice then