COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phil

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Fulcrum wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 18:14
The CFR in Germany isn't increasing much, if at all, if you consider the lag effect between confirmed diagnosis and outcome (death or recovery).

If you model deaths recorded "today" as a function of prior cases, where "prior" can mean anything between 5-15 days, then Germany's CFR has remained fairly constant relative to a lag of 7 days; this rate being ~ 1.7% of confirmed cases.
I mentioned the CFR increasing in Germany relative to actual registered positive cases (currently at 0.6%). You are right though, the increase seems to be less in Germany, than in other countries - but it is increasing.

The speed at which it increases IMO is directly linked to the capacity of the health system. A health system operating well within its limit can keep patients alive. One that is operating over, can not and people die [sooner] without help. Germany is still at a very low number relative to its population. If you check Switzerland however, you'll see that our number of cases per population is in fact higher than Italy itself.

Some of these numbers are a bit skewed though, obviously. If you have the ability to count more, you are likely to have more positive cases (most countries are limited in their ability to test, not people infected). And I assume the fact that our country is only testing people with severe symptoms will also have an impact on the current CFR. However, as time goes on - people who don't have symptoms, might develop symptoms until eventually showing up at a hospital with severe symptoms and get counted then. Others who survive the illness without leaving their home might never show up in our statistics, because they'll never get counted/tested.

It is my personal opinion that we are far too early to be making any predictions or assessments if we'll go the way of Italy (and Spain) or if our countries defeat the numbers.

In Switzerland, we're 1 month (30 days) since the first case tested positive. Considering many cases develop symptoms only after 5-10 days, start out with very mild symptoms for a week until possibly developing more severe symptoms, I don't know - numbers of fatalities could explode here too to the point we'll be seeing a similar surreal CFR.

I assume Italy wasn't much different - I think people have been infected and showing signs of the illness way before they actually started testing, thus their CFR started out way higher than anyone elses. In other words; they were well into the progression of the pandemic when they started testing and people showing up at hospitals.

Compare that to Germany, where they obviously started way earlier with a well established process of testing.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 20:16

Compare that to Germany, where they obviously started way earlier with a well established process of testing.
It's also worth noting that more of Germany's cases are younger (in so far as they are in their 50s rather than in their 70-80s) than in Spain and Italy. Age is not helpful with this illness. The old are much more likely to die from it so if you have proportionally more older patients, you'll get a much bigger fatality rate.

Germany also has a good level of critical care beds / population compared to many others (nearly 3 times the level in the UK, for example).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

Here's a decent overview of covid / influenza-like virus mutation (read the whole thread)

strad

HMMmmmmm
Yesterday the CDC said that the virus showed no signs of mutating. :?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

The US CDC seem to be a rare beast in thinking that. Lots of stuff on line about changes to the virus and how they are being tracked through genome sequencing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 03:23
The US CDC seem to be a rare beast in thinking that. Lots of stuff on line about changes to the virus and how they are being tracked through genome sequencing.
I think the US organizations are under political pressure to make the virus fit a narrative. It murkies the waters a lot making it more difficult to get reliable information.

DChemTech

strad wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 02:56
HMMmmmmm
Yesterday the CDC said that the virus showed no signs of mutating. :?
Any virus mutates constantly. I do presume they know that at CDC. Perhaps they were afraid that the general population would translate 'mutates' to 'gets worse', and there are indeed no clear signs of that. Drawback of that strategy is that you do confuse people that do know what mutation is.

PlatinumZealot

It is mutating slowly is what they mean to say. A family member of mine works in genetics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

Sevach wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 19:44
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... n/4774280/

Latest idea for F1 i guess.
Bet there would be a real scramble to have the Christmas GP
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 20:10
Sevach wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 19:44
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... n/4774280/

Latest idea for F1 i guess.
Bet there would be a real scramble to have the Christmas GP
lol there would wouldn't there! I wonder if they'll start thinking about 2 races in one place, once they find they're starting in October or whatever

strad

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 13:49
It is mutating slowly is what they mean to say. A family member of mine works in genetics.
Yes that was their point. That it wouldn't show any real mutation for maybe a year. Not like it's changing faster than we can keep up with.
They also said their models were based on wrong numbers and thus their results derived from them were wrong.
Computer models are always in danger of GIGO.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

waynes

so what tech are Mercedes HPP using?

their own injection system?

genuine question and very interested how they'll be able to produce a 1000 a day (off the BBC's story)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002