COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

nevill3 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 23:55
A worrying fact has emerged today, some cases have been reported that former Covid-19 positive patients who appeared to recover and test negative have been found to have tested positive again later. This would mean they have become re-infected and do not appear to have developed any immunity, much like the common cold virus.
Its bi-phasic, like Anthrax.

JonoNic

nevill3 wrote:A worrying fact has emerged today, some cases have been reported that former Covid-19 positive patients who appeared to recover and test negative have been found to have tested positive again later. This would mean they have become re-infected and do not appear to have developed any immunity, much like the common cold virus.
That is very worrying
Always find the gap then use it.

LM10

JonoNic wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 06:10
nevill3 wrote:A worrying fact has emerged today, some cases have been reported that former Covid-19 positive patients who appeared to recover and test negative have been found to have tested positive again later. This would mean they have become re-infected and do not appear to have developed any immunity, much like the common cold virus.
That is very worrying
That’s not a new phenomenon. Every virus mutates. You can get infected by Influenza A and then by B as well, for example.

geogate

now a case of internally transmitted virus in Haslemere, UK. If there is an outbreak (highly likely one would suppose) thats bad news for Mclaren. A lot of staff come from that part of Surrey

3jawchuck

nevill3 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 23:55
A worrying fact has emerged today, some cases have been reported that former Covid-19 positive patients who appeared to recover and test negative have been found to have tested positive again later. This would mean they have become re-infected and do not appear to have developed any immunity, much like the common cold virus.
They may also never have fully recovered from the illness. Anyway, if they were reinfected, this isn't an unusual phenomenon.

the EDGE

Hearing reports on yahoo & sky that France have banned gatherings/events of more than 5,000 people

Oakstreet

the EDGE wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 18:46
Hearing reports on yahoo & sky that France have banned gatherings/events of more than 5,000 people
Only indoor events.

Wouter

COVID-19 in Monaco.

28-02-2020.
The Principality's health authorities have been informed that a person who was cared for in the morning
and taken to the Princess Grace Hospital Center is tested positive for COVID 19.
His state of health is not cause for concern.

The Power of Dreams!

adrianjordan

Let's put some perspective on this, the virus is less deadly than Flu, yet we don't ban events because of flu.

As others have said, higher temperatures will limit the spread of the virus.

Finally I was talking to an infectious diseases doctor the other day (I'm a healthcare professional) and they fully expect this virus to be fully global within a month and the containment efforts to stop. At the moment all the quarantine efforts etc are to try and reduce the spread, but as expected they're failing.

This virus is reported as having a fatality rate of less than 2% and that is probably an overestimate as there will be people who are infected but asymptomatic.

Fatality rates are expected to be similar to Influenza A.

The biggest hope is that a vaccine can be developed quickly that can halt the spread of the disease and introduce some herd immunity to protect the more vulnerable.

Bringing this back to F1, I don't see any more races being cancelled - because the containment phase will end and it will just become another virus that's out there and life will go on.

I'm basing all of this on the daily updates we're getting at work from the Department of Health, NHS England and WHO, with just a dash of professional knowledge and judgement added in.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:16
Let's put some perspective on this, the virus is less deadly than Flu, yet we don't ban events because of flu.

Finally I was talking to an infectious diseases doctor the other day (I'm a healthcare professional) and they fully expect this virus to be fully global within a month and the containment efforts to stop. At the moment all the quarantine efforts etc are to try and reduce the spread, but as expected they're failing.

This virus is reported as having a fatality rate of less than 2% and that is probably an overestimate as there will be people who are infected but asymptomatic.

The biggest hope is that a vaccine can be developed quickly that can halt the spread of the disease and introduce some herd immunity to protect the more vulnerable.

Bringing this back to F1, I don't see any more races being cancelled - because the containment phase will end and it will just become another virus that's out there and life will go on.

I'm basing all of this on the daily updates we're getting at work from the Department of Health, NHS England and WHO, with just a dash of professional knowledge and judgement added in.
That’s not true...

The death rate is believed to be around 1% which is 10x deadlier than the flu

JonoNic

I read that Israel have made a breakthrough, but the vaccine is close. Yes this virus is like flu, but those with pre-existing ailments are quite vulnerable. I might survive but someone else who comes in contact with me might not. I do not want that on my conscience.
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1 ... us-vaccine.
Always find the gap then use it.

the EDGE

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:21
adrianjordan wrote:

That’s not true...

The death rate is believed to be around 1% which is 10x deadlier than the flu
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/no-worse-flu- ... 14554.html?
Last edited by the EDGE on 01 Mar 2020, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Cookers

adrianjordan wrote:
....This virus is reported as having a fatality rate of less than 2% and that is probably an overestimate as there will be people who are infected but asymptomatic.
the true fatality rate is moving towards 4%

the true fatality rates only emerges when the rate of spread has fallen - as in China
yes this is 4% of those who have developed significant illness

so about 1% of the whole population ?

'coming to a town near you ! '

nzjrs

Some are missing some wood for the trees.

I'll ignore the lethality for now, let's say 5% of people get critically ill (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-51689667).

How many ICU hospital beds does your country have?

That number, multiplied by the infection rate (which is high for this novel virus) is quite worrying. Everyone getting it at once is a problem and to the degree that containment slows it down and buys time for vaccination development or warmer weather (although even this is still only a hypothesis) I believe it is a good idea.

bluechris

In Greece all Carnival things that suppose to happen are Canceled by the government as a precautionary measure. I am ok with that but i dont get the stupidity to leave the Football matches to continue normally with fans in the grandstands (some matches will have more that 30000 people attendance).