COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Austria GP is a friggin mirage. It is over. Game Over.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Tea

FW17 wrote:
09 May 2020, 19:20
These quarantines are only for people who do not have access to tests. If fom plans to have tests available for the traveling people, the results should be sufficient.
Not sure of this as it takes a few days of infection to show up in a test. But, they do not have to be quarantined from each other, just the rest of the world. As long as they have sufficient staff to cover a period when someone is too ill to work it could be similar to a family isolating.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

FrukostScones wrote:
10 May 2020, 02:43
Why do you think that? Austrian govt is pretty serious about it, and they've had one of the best responses in Europe. If I fly to Austria tomorrow I can get a covid test in the airport while I wait...

FW17

German states opening tourism

I find little logic in Austria first and uk next. Why not stay and finish all the European locations and then head to uk?
Last edited by FW17 on 10 May 2020, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

FW17 wrote:
10 May 2020, 10:59
Germany states opening tourism

I find little logic in Austria first and uk next. Why not stay and finish all the European locations and then head to uk?
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hungary and German slot in before UK for the reasons you suggest.

FW17

There is also little sense on travelling to americas and east Asia by air when the entire season can be done in Europe and middle east on road only.

Specially in a season which will generate only half the income even if the same number of races are held, why not do some cost saving?

If they are so bent on 3 continents for a WC , the FIA sure to find a way around it.

Big Tea

FW17 wrote:
10 May 2020, 11:07
There is also little sense on travelling to americas and east Asia by air when the entire season can be done in Europe and middle east on road only.

Specially in a season which will generate only half the income even if the same number of races are held, why not do some cost saving?

If they are so bent on 3 continents for a WC , the FIA sure to find a way around it.
Its in the rules that to qualify as a world champion it has to be on so many (3??) continents, but europe asia and usa are doable. but not in the order thy have them

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
10 May 2020, 13:07
FW17 wrote:

Its in the rules that to qualify as a world champion it has to be on so many (3??) continents, but europe asia and usa are doable. but not in the order thy have them
That could be changed if required.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 May 2020, 13:10
Big Tea wrote:
FW17 wrote:

I suspect the only probable for 'America' would be USA as Canada is a city base and Brazil is in big trouble.
There seem to be several candidates for Asia. Is Azerbaijan Turkey asia?

FW17

The 1950's championships had just 2 continents, and most teams attended only one.

Asia - They should stay only in the middle east. There are 5 venues - Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu-Dhabi, Dubai and Qatar

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
10 May 2020, 13:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 May 2020, 13:10
Big Tea wrote:

I suspect the only probable for 'America' would be USA as Canada is a city base and Brazil is in big trouble.
There seem to be several candidates for Asia. Is Azerbaijan Turkey asia?
Azerbaijan is mostly Asia with a little bit in Europe. The Caucasus mountains are the generally-accepted border between the two and those run along the northern edge of the country. So a race there would tick an "Asia" box if required.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

FrukostScones wrote:
Genius argumentation. Why didn't anyone else think of this before?

FrukostScones

Juzh wrote:
11 May 2020, 13:10
FrukostScones wrote:
Genius argumentation. Why didn't anyone else think of this before?
I see no argumentation. So it can't be genius. :mrgreen:

If UK quarantine rules come into effect you can forget it.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14936 ... quarantine

and even if it works, whole operation could be a game of Vabanque.

And of course I want the season to start, but not at any costs.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

nzjrs

FrukostScones wrote:
11 May 2020, 13:23
If UK quarantine rules come into effect you can forget it.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14936 ... quarantine
What's your opinion of the mitigations discussed in the article (negative test exemption?)

Typically UK seems to reluctantly do what other countries discover 3 weeks prior, so they will likely exempt negative test results like other countries do (i.e. Austria)

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!