COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2020, 19:04
FrukostScones wrote:
25 May 2020, 18:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2020, 18:15
So people sat in a restaurant spread the virus, but people sitting much closer together for long periods of time in an aircraft don't? Sorry, don't buy it.
when eating out you sit most of the time vis-a-vis to other people your are with, your mouth is not covered, you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy. you talk a lot because the wine a fine, and that is what you do eating out, having fun and laughing in peoples faces.

In a plane you can make all passengers wear a mask and can make them stfu the whole flight. Maybe safer than resturant.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/ ... s/12263242 o
I know they want to sell flights, but still...
We here had at least one (super)spreading event in restaurant, now that restaurants are open in again in my country for an week now.
And in airplanes people cough, they squeeze by each other in the aisles whilst breathing (obviously). Sure, from now on you can make people wear masks but, unless it's a short flight, you're still going to be feeding them and the masks will come off then.

Oh, and as for this:
you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy.
I can assure you that I don't eat like that. If someone eats with their mouth open, they get told to eat with their mouth shut!
To eat with a shut mouth, you have to still open it to put the food inside. This is the moment saliva can shoot out of your mouth (mainly because the food on your plate is looking so yummy.)
Never intended to say that you or anyone else on F1T is eating like a pig. :)

instintively I also would think that in a restaurant it is safer than in an airplane... but better to avoid both atm.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Tea

FrukostScones wrote:
25 May 2020, 19:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2020, 19:04
FrukostScones wrote:
25 May 2020, 18:53

when eating out you sit most of the time vis-a-vis to other people your are with, your mouth is not covered, you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy. you talk a lot because the wine a fine, and that is what you do eating out, having fun and laughing in peoples faces.

In a plane you can make all passengers wear a mask and can make them stfu the whole flight. Maybe safer than resturant.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/ ... s/12263242 o
I know they want to sell flights, but still...
We here had at least one (super)spreading event in restaurant, now that restaurants are open in again in my country for an week now.
And in airplanes people cough, they squeeze by each other in the aisles whilst breathing (obviously). Sure, from now on you can make people wear masks but, unless it's a short flight, you're still going to be feeding them and the masks will come off then.

Oh, and as for this:
you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy.
I can assure you that I don't eat like that. If someone eats with their mouth open, they get told to eat with their mouth shut!
To eat with a shut mouth, you have to still open it to put the food inside. This is the moment saliva can shoot out of your mouth (mainly because the food on your plate is looking so yummy.)
Never intended to say that you or anyone else on F1T is eating like a pig. :)

instintively I also would think that in a restaurant it is safer than in an airplane... but better to avoid both atm.
Saliva is full of acids to dissolve fatty lipids. I would not bet my life on it, but I still assume saliva is a lower risk than water droplets from someones upper respiratory and sinus. I also think that eating a covid virus would not 'catch' for the same reason. I am not going to test either of these theories though

Edit, I also freely acknowledge anyone else's concepts are probably as good as my own and have no problem with being shot down
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

basti313
basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:
So people sat in a restaurant spread the virus, but people sitting much closer together for long periods of time in an aircraft don't? Sorry, don't buy it.
No idea, also contradicts my theory. But reality beats theory. And the reality is that it spreads where people eat, drink or sing and that it does not spread in planes.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
25 May 2020, 22:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
No idea, also contradicts my theory. But reality beats theory. And the reality is that it spreads where people eat, drink or sing and that it does not spread in planes.
The virologist quoted in the article you linked to disagrees. Quantas says it's ok but then they have a financial interest in people believing it. Who do you believe - the one who wants your money or the one who has nothing to gain from you going or not going on the aircraft?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Looks like Boris wants a race as he does not want to loose face with a German GP

Big Tea

FW17 wrote:
26 May 2020, 06:16
Looks like Boris wants a race as he does not want to loose face with a German GP
Edited out. Oops, sorry mods. Political
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Good old Boris, getting another job done. Roll on July!!!!!!! Were going racing baby!!!!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nzjrs

NathanOlder wrote:
26 May 2020, 15:53
Good old Boris, getting another job done. Roll on July!!!!!!! Were going racing baby!!!!!
STAY ALERT

AMG.Tzan

Nice...Virtual races have already cost 3 drivers their careers (maybe)!

I don't understand how people think...did Abt's actions have such a big impact on Audi? I don't think so...
It's just totally ridiculous that teams or companies go that far for things that don't even matter in real life! Someone else drove Abt's virtual race...so what?

All these actions against drivers (both in Nascar and Formula E) about things said or done during a Virtual race are a pure disgrace to humanity! Think again before going that far to end someone's career for things that don't even happen in real life...maybe go as far as to give the person the chance to explain himself at least!

After all, virtual races were meant to be an entertainment thing for the fans during the quarantine! No championships, no professional staff! If that was the case then Lando Norris should have been banned for taking out Arthur Leclerc in Monaco last Sunday! :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
26 May 2020, 15:53
He's done nowt useful yet... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Harvey
Harvey

AMG.Tzan wrote:
26 May 2020, 17:20

I don't understand how people think...did Abt's actions have such a big impact on Audi? I don't think so...
It's just totally ridiculous that teams or companies go that far for things that don't even matter in real life! Someone else drove Abt's virtual race...so what?

All these actions against drivers (both in Nascar and Formula E) about things said or done during a Virtual race are a pure disgrace to humanity! Think again before going that far to end someone's career for things that don't even happen in real life...maybe go as far as to give the person the chance to explain himself at least!

After all, virtual races were meant to be an entertainment thing for the fans during the quarantine! No championships, no professional staff! If that was the case then Lando Norris should have been banned for taking out Arthur Leclerc in Monaco last Sunday! :lol:
If you could work from home, and you got someone else (not affiliated with your firm) to do your work - but you said it was all yours - would you expect to keep your job? Do you not think that his deceit is worthy of punishment? It's sort of the e-sports equivalent of doping.

Also, are you saying it's a 'disgrace to humanity' for sacking someone because they used racially discriminatory language? Are you sure you want to be associated with that particular view point...?

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

Abt already hadn't the best stand in the Audi FE Team and also some Audi DTM drivers would certainly like to have a go in FE. So i would think this came just very convinient for Audi to get rid of Abt for a reason.
On the other hand, this simraces are official events with sponsor support and everything. The business side of it is quite serious so i totally understand why Audi and FE is pissed about this.

nzjrs

Harvey wrote:
26 May 2020, 18:19
Also, are you saying it's a 'disgrace to humanity' for sacking someone because they used racially discriminatory language? Are you sure you want to be associated with that particular view point...?
Please for the love of all that is sacred to you, NO CULTURE WAR TOPICS ON F1T

nzjrs

Was meant as a joke, career ruined.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/26/abt ... from-audi/

AMG.Tzan

Harvey wrote:
26 May 2020, 18:19
AMG.Tzan wrote:
26 May 2020, 17:20

If you could work from home, and you got someone else (not affiliated with your firm) to do your work - but you said it was all yours - would you expect to keep your job? Do you not think that his deceit is worthy of punishment? It's sort of the e-sports equivalent of doping.

Being a sim racer and being a racecar driver are 2 different things! Abt is not a sim racer taking part in a season long championship...he is just there to entertain people while they are in quarantine! If they want to make it professional then crashing into each other just to stop your car shouldn't be allowed...! So i don't see where the professional in all of this is!

So since no rules or championship exists in all these virtual events...it's just a game then! Another example of a driver that should have been banned if it isnt "just a game" is at Indy 500 where Pagenaud took out Norris...yet no one complained for that! It was a nice race and Pagenaud destroyed the show just for his own entertainment!

As for the racially discriminatory language...people these days are way too sensitive to WORDS and not ACTIONS! When at home alone everyone has the right to say whatever they want as long as no one is listening to them! And guess what...that's what he thought...that no one was listening to him! He wasn't referring to someone specifically! (I don't even remember his name)

And as i said back then he instantly regretted it and instantly apologized! Would you like not being given the chance to apologize or explain yourself for a moment of stupidity? It happens to everyone and it could have happened to you also...would you be ok if they ended your career when you know that you didn't mean to hurt anybody? I don't think you would be ok with that...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis