COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Persons have lost their jobs for less in the "me too" movement so I'm not sorry for him. If you compliment a female co-worker on how curvaceous she is, you might be flirting not with her, but a lady called unemployment! Is it fair? hmm.. it depends.. Just like Formula 1 People must adjust, if not fully accept, or get caught out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

3jawchuck wrote:
29 May 2020, 10:36
he's not getting hung at dawn.
Hanged.

Meat and pictures are hung. Men are hanged.

Sorry, this has been a public service post...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

3jawchuck

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 May 2020, 21:38
3jawchuck wrote:
Hanged.
That's archaic, it should fall out of use. It's kept around for no other use than as yet more legalese and obfuscation.

Just_a_fan

3jawchuck wrote:
29 May 2020, 22:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:
Hanged.
That's archaic, it should fall out of use. It's kept around for no other use than as yet more legalese and obfuscation.
It's English. It's a rich language that doesn't need to be "dumbed down", thanks.

3jawchuck

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 May 2020, 22:30
3jawchuck wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Hanged.
It's English. It's a rich language that doesn't need to be "dumbed down", thanks.
Indeed it is, however, I resent the implication that using the language correctly is "dumbing down".

The distinction between hung/hanged is not actually a rule in the English language, the distinction comes from legal language meaning execution by hanging. In reality, both words have been used interchangeably for all meanings for far longer than people have cared.

The distinction we face these days is not correct for everyday usage, it is just widely accepted. It's like not ending a sentence with a proposition or not splitting infinitives. These are not actual rules of language, but people try and enforce them anyway.

Anyway, I suck at languages (and staying on topic), but I do have a distaste for people correcting me using rules that don't exist.

Jolle

But, there is a slight difference in being well hung versus well hanged.

erlik

I don't know if were some discussion before but virtual 24h Le mans will gather some big names from F1, motor sport and sim racing: Alonso, Button, Max, Lando, Charles, Barichelo, Massa and much more

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Scorpaguy

Jolle wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:03
But, there is a slight difference in being well hung versus well hanged.
...placement of the rope is everything 8)

Just_a_fan

3jawchuck wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 May 2020, 22:30
3jawchuck wrote:

Indeed it is, however, I resent the implication that using the language correctly is "dumbing down".

The distinction between hung/hanged is not actually a rule in the English language, the distinction comes from legal language meaning execution by hanging. In reality, both words have been used interchangeably for all meanings for far longer than people have cared.

The distinction we face these days is not correct for everyday usage, it is just widely accepted. It's like not ending a sentence with a proposition or not splitting infinitives. These are not actual rules of language, but people try and enforce them anyway.

Anyway, I suck at languages (and staying on topic), but I do have a distaste for people correcting me using rules that don't exist.
Split infinitive aversion is because Latin doesn't have the split infinitive. That's because it can't, of course. It was an attempt to make English a purely Latin-derived language. Which is a shame, and a sham, because English is a bastard child of Germanic (Saxon) and Romantic (Latin).

As for prepositions, everyone knows that they are something that one should never end a sentence with. :wink: :lol: :lol:

"Hanged" when applying to people is only archaic because hanging is no longer carried out in the UK. The distinction is still correct unless one considers men to be no more than meat on a rope.

Anyway, as mentioned, it is off topic: I only mentioned it because I'm feeling grumpy. My apologies. :oops:

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Wouter

...... post removed.
Last edited by Wouter on 30 May 2020, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

It is official now. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

In addition to the good news from @Morteza:

Approval for Spielberg GP without fans

Today, 14.42 Uhr (Update: 14.55 Uhr)
After months of standing still due to the coronavirus pandemic, Formula 1 can take off in Austria in July.
As the Ministry of Health announced on Saturday, the health concept presented for the two races on July 5 and 12
meets the current requirements. Spectators are not allowed in the two races.

"The organizer has presented a concept for implementation that is based on the special requirements of the Formula 1 GP and the necessary protective measures against the spread of the corona virus," emphasized Health Minister Rudolf Anschober (Greens). The races are legal, as there is no audience, "not to be regarded as an event, but as a sports facility (...)", so "the teams are allowed to enter the premises to practice their profession - applicable restrictions on persons are therefore no longer applicable", the legal justification stated.
https://sport.orf.at/stories/3063107/

Minister of Health Rudolf Anschober has given his consent for Formula 1 in Spielberg. This would make it possible to start the World Cup in early July with two races on July 5 and 12, excluding the spectators.

The final assessment announced by the Greens Minister for Pentecost became official on Saturday.
https://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichte ... reich.html
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Silverstone looking very likely now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52872157
Formula 1 has been given the go-ahead by the UK government to hold two races at Silverstone this summer, BBC Sport has been told.
Personnel will be tested before travelling to ensure they are virus-free, flown on charter jets and tested every couple of days while at the events.

Teams will be kept apart from each other and stay in different hotels, to which they will travel by bus to minimise contact with the public.

F1 is poised to confirm the European part of a rescheduled 2020 season early this week, with plans to start the campaign with two races in Austria on 5 and 12 July, followed by a third in Hungary on 19 July.

The Silverstone events would follow in early August, before - it is believed - further races in Spain, Belgium and Italy.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 00:21
Silverstone looking very likely now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52872157
Formula 1 has been given the go-ahead by the UK government to hold two races at Silverstone this summer, BBC Sport has been told.
Personnel will be tested before travelling to ensure they are virus-free, flown on charter jets and tested every couple of days while at the events.

Teams will be kept apart from each other and stay in different hotels, to which they will travel by bus to minimise contact with the public.

F1 is poised to confirm the European part of a rescheduled 2020 season early this week, with plans to start the campaign with two races in Austria on 5 and 12 July, followed by a third in Hungary on 19 July.

The Silverstone events would follow in early August, before - it is believed - further races in Spain, Belgium and Italy.
As long as they all travel together, as in not mixing with those not of the group, is it not the same as a family self isolating? Once they have been together for 7 days, as long as none intermix with 'outsiders' the group should be free of the virus.

Yes, I know it would need to include handlers etc, but if it becomes a full time 'gang' is there a real problem?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 13:19

Yes, I know it would need to include handlers etc, but if it becomes a full time 'gang' is there a real problem?
I don't see why it should be an issue. It's going to be a lot easier to enforce conditions on a group of like-minded individuals who want to be there.