COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Holm86 wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 00:06
Does anyone know if the factories are opening up again? Or is UK still under lockdown?
I think there is a phased opening up. Where people can maintain distance from others, workplaces are becoming populated again. I drove by Mercedes GP factory yesterday and there are some cars in the car park. How many employees are in there is open to guessing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313

Holm86 wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 00:06
Does anyone know if the factories are opening up again? Or is UK still under lockdown?
Especially in F1 business I do not think there is anything like an effective lockdown except for the "summer break". All modern companies like this have mobile infrastructure, so everyone can work from home.This is crucial also for last minute changes, weekends, etc....
For the production itself only few people are needed, for example the paintjobs are done by one person.

The interesting point now will be the car preparations. I guess they can work around certain people being sick now or when it comes to race weekends, but if they get an outbreak 3-4 weeks before a race and the factory goes into quarantine...they are screwed.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Wouter

basti313 wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 10:30

The interesting point now will be the car preparations. I guess they can work around certain people being sick now or when it comes to race weekends, but if they get an outbreak 3-4 weeks before a race and the factory goes into quarantine...they are screwed.
This is what AlphaTauri does:

The Power of Dreams!

F1NAC

I think they should scrap this season. I cannot imagine that one team could be prevented from participating in a race because of positive test. And they won't miss one race.... just stupid. Either they all race or there should be no racing..

nzjrs

F1NAC wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 23:56
I think they should scrap this season. I cannot imagine that one team could be prevented from participating in a race because of positive test. And they won't miss one race.... just stupid. Either they all race or there should be no racing..
?? https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/02/f1- ... -covid-19/ ??

F1NAC

nzjrs wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 00:22
F1NAC wrote:
I know about drivers, but what if said driver infects more members of his team? worst case scenario? Still even with continuing without infected driver is just not good. What if he is in contention for the championship?

MtthsMlw

Just_a_fan

F1NAC wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 08:11
nzjrs wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 00:22
F1NAC wrote:
I know about drivers, but what if said driver infects more members of his team? worst case scenario? Still even with continuing without infected driver is just not good. What if he is in contention for the championship?
A driver being contention and getting ill is no different to any other season. Drivers have in the past got ill or had accidents that have led to them missing a race or two. Drivers are very focused, driven, individuals who will follow separation requirements in order to maximise their performance. The bigger risk is a driver catching something from a team member rather than the other way round.

NAPI10

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 11:57
F1NAC wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 08:11
A driver being contention and getting ill is no different to any other season. Drivers have in the past got ill or had accidents that have led to them missing a race or two. Drivers are very focused, driven, individuals who will follow separation requirements in order to maximise their performance. The bigger risk is a driver catching something from a team member rather than the other way round.
Reserve driver role will be even more ciritical then any other year of F1 history..

strad

What if he is in contention for the championship?
Then I guess he'll learn a lesson about adhering to stricter isolation protocols. If that sounds harsh it's because I would expect drivers to realize what's at stake and be more than willing to be very strict in following the quarantine protocols.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

The smaller teams have an advantage this year. Less crowded factories. It might be a championship of human attrition (in terms of people sent home for symptoms).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 21:14
The smaller teams have an advantage this year. Less crowded factories. It might be a championship of human attrition (in terms of people sent home for symptoms).
Remember, it would only be temporary attrition ( hopefully as they are all young and fit ) so even if it was 2 sessions of 25% unable to make race day it would not be that bad. Most of the crew have several jobs and most overlap incase they are needed anyway.

Not making light of it, but as the likely time for 'catching it' is trackside, it would take until after the event to mature into debilitating, then up to a month for the bad cases to be off. This is assuming that none need hospitalisation, which is not a forgone conclusion, but would they not vet the crews for underlying conditions etc, so should be the best of the crop, so-to-speak, and possibly preference given to those who have already had their 'dose'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 21:14
But if it gets in to a factory, a smaller team could wiped out because there is no spare capacity.

3jawchuck

If it is the case that 60 - 80% of people may not have developed symptoms, then I doubt factories will be grinding to a halt.
However travelling staff and drivers will need to be very carefully monitored and protected.

LM10

I expect the teams to be intelligent enough to know how to not get infected. Team staff will be tested anyway and after that all they need to do is to stay away or stay in a safe distance from other people. It really isn’t that hard and the season surely shouldn’t be cancelled just because of “what if someone gets positive at any time in the future”.