FIA-Ferrari PU Statement Controversy

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy
izzy

Re: FIA-Ferrari PU Statement Controversy

SiLo wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 13:59
I think we are all in agreement that the FIA likely could not prove that Ferrari actually cheated, only that they COULD cheat. They would have to be caught in the act or be provided evidence of the actual cheating happening for them to really come down hard.
i'm not in agreement, sorry :lol:

If they'd wanted to label it cheating they could've done, i mean they had the supersmart Ferrari fuel pump and all Mercedes' data and analysis, and they've dished out penalties on less than that before. They knew enough to have their supplier come up with a meter that varies its frequency so it can't be synchronised. Once you've got the pump and meter on a test bench with HPP boffins and you know what you're looking for with oscilloscopes and all that, they're not really going to stay too mystified to do anything

But they were stuck, with it being Ferrari. They had to be realistic and so do we, after all if they had labelled it 'cheating' with a hardware design like this, where would it have ended? Somewhere F1 didn't want to be

But the teams wanted it to cost, with some drama, to help it not happen again and to flag the fair policing issue generally with the cost cap coming and the new contracts, and now i bet standards have changed a little bit, John Elkann will have probably not liked it and made some promises to Ola and Jean and passed that down the chain

Xwang
Xwang

izzy wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 14:23
SiLo wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 13:59
I think we are all in agreement that the FIA likely could not prove that Ferrari actually cheated, only that they COULD cheat. They would have to be caught in the act or be provided evidence of the actual cheating happening for them to really come down hard.
i'm not in agreement, sorry :lol:

... they had ... all Mercedes' data and analysis, ....
Maybe Mercedes's data and analysis were a video made by Karun Chandhok for Sky :-)

I'm joking.
In any case Mercedes has already withdrawn by the seven teams, and it is really interesting being themselves the ones which led the seven and wrote their statement.
In less than two weeks they change idea.
I will call it "mud machine".

dans79

Xwang wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 14:39
Probably more like some random FIA official told them what Ferrari was doing off the record if they agreed to walk away.
Last edited by dans79 on 18 Mar 2020, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

izzy
izzy

Xwang wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 14:39
In any case Mercedes has already withdrawn by the seven teams, and it is really interesting being themselves the ones which led the seven and wrote their statement.
well Mercedes pulled out after John called Ola and just happened to mention huge joint car projects that Daimler and Fiat are working on! :idea:

it doesn't affect what we can see about FIA magically deciding to get a hackproof meter added, Mattia explaining his car unluckily has a massive amount of drag this year and loads more reliability, the TD's and everything. afaics Ferrari fans just have to accept it all and either approve or not, apply your own values. If you disapprove of the idea of hacking the fuel sensor then that's all good, or if you're going to go with it then you can just say all's fair in love and F1 :)

izzy
izzy

The superlicence points system is another one tho, that nobody says anything about but obviously had nothing to do with Max Verstappen at all as all that needed was an age limit, it was about nuking the competition that was Renault V8, free to air and even entry!

Ferrari, their engineering is great and the style and i was looking forward to them under Mattia so it's been a bit of a disappointment, so far. But hopefully as i said the culture can change from the top, now. I think this episode must have done the brand a bit of damage, that they won't be liking

Reference to a removed and derogatory post removed, as is allegation. Please try to stay on topic

jumpingfish

Q/A with Turrini
@bosone. Hey, who passed certain tips to the Fia, imagine through whom!, I don't know and if I knew, I couldn't write it, not having the proof. In Ferrari they were amazed at the accuracy of the data suddenly came into the possession of those who were investigating and this paradoxically helped the Red, because it was so obvious the violation of the industrial secret ... I add that I am who I am (Goldonian quote, the Marquis of Forlimpopoli) and it seems to you that I write certain things if I do not have reliable sources?
It's interesting what John Elkann could say to Ola Källenius that Mercedes immediately abandoned all claims to the 2019 Ferrari engine? (except the version about damage to reputations)

https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... een-5.6225

dans79

izzy wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 16:39
I think this episode must have done the brand a bit of damage, that they won't be liking
All this episode did was bruise certain egos most likely. Out side of hardcore F1 fans, The FIA has done a good job of making sure know ones knows anything about it. Not to mention if you want a Ferrari and can actually afford to buy one, you probably done care what might or might not have happened in the 2019 f1 season, or what secrets deals have been made to keep it all quiet.
197 104 103 7

santos
santos

dans79 wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:46
izzy wrote:
I think this episode must have done the brand a bit of damage, that they won't be liking
All this episode did was bruise certain egos most likely. Out side of hardcore F1 fans, The FIA has done a good job of making sure know ones knows anything about it. Not to mention if you want a Ferrari and can actually afford to buy one, you probably done care what might or might not have happened in the 2019 f1 season, or what secrets deals have been made to keep it all quiet.
Totally agree with that… McLaren keeps selling cars, even if they are biggest cheaters in the history of F1 (they had the biggest fine, so.. the size of the cheat was huge). Renault also didn't stopr selling more cars because of the crashgate.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

santos wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:55
dans79 wrote:
izzy wrote:
Totally agree with that… McLaren keeps selling cars, even if they are biggest cheaters in the history of F1 (they had the biggest fine, so.. the size of the cheat was huge). Renault also didn't stopr selling more cars because of the crashgate.
McLaren's fine was so large because Max Mosley hated Ron Dennis. The infamous "$5 million for the offence and $95 million for Ron being a twat" line.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 18:16
santos wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:55
dans79 wrote:

McLaren's fine was so large because Max Mosley hated Ron Dennis. The infamous "$5 million for the offence and $95 million for Ron being a twat" line.
Which really tells all that needs to be said about 'regulation' in this series... :(

izzy
izzy

dans79 wrote:
The same would go for when they win then, but the reputation, status and everything trickle down into the brand which is why they're all in F1. So yes it's not huge as i said but the board won't be liking it either. And that's partly why the others made a fuss, to cost them status and make it not pay off

Cos Mattia might be thinking "win win win" but the Board will be thinking "brand brand brand"

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Today Jean Todt in his personal capacity has triggered his first legal action against an F1 SITE (libel and defamation) brought about by article/s/comments in response to FIA’S secret FERRARI fuel flow conclusion. Wait for the FIA as a regulating body next.

izzy
izzy

Jean Todt has his solicitors threatening to sue grandprix247 for defamation over it:
https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/03/18 ... -our-site/

dans79

izzy wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 21:36
Jean Todt has his solicitors threatening to sue grandprix247 for defamation over it:
https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/03/18 ... -our-site/
Hmmm, his personal legal staff is based in South Africa, that seems fairly odd consideirng he lives in Geneva..............
197 104 103 7

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Streisand effect in 3 ... 2....