So what will F1 teams do this year?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: So what will F1 teams do this year?

AJI wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 13:42
nzjrs wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 13:33
Actually strad old pal old chap, you never actually explained your position when I politely asked (several times).
And for what it's worth, I think Greta is as knowledgeable and useful on/for GW/CC as you are.
So, are you saying that strad is equally as knowledgeable (and equally as unknowledgeable) as Greta on the subject? You understand my confusion with this logical fallacy, yeah?
Lol, yeah, oops. I think both happen to be broken clocks that are right at about the same frequency. Greta is an emblematic symbol for the youth, strad for the old. IMO we could do without symbols altogether (although I know others disagree on this point).

izzy

nzjrs wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 13:50
Lol, yeah, oops. I think both happen to be broken clocks that are right at about the same frequency. Greta is an emblematic symbol for the youth, strad for the old. IMO we could do without symbols altogether (although I know others disagree on this point).
lol, nobody on here knows as much about climate change as Greta. obviously it's not a great concept for some older guys that a teenage girl is senior to them, but that's the world and social media these days. She's somebody, and anonymous forumers aren't. Pretending to despise her isn't a solution! Or convincing :P .

So it's Generation Greta and F1 is in this scary new world and they have to respond, and that includes this year, now, and coronavirus and how to keep F1 alive when crowds are banned. They have responded a bit as i've mentioned, with going carbon neutral, but a lull in proceedings is the last thing they need. They can't just sit and wait, while young people find other things to do, like activism

So here's a question, well more a thought exercise. Lets say worst case scenario 2020 season as we know it is cancelled. What is going to happen with the various driver contracts? I can't imagine there is a clause in any contract that extends the contract for another year.

mmred

1158 wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 17:35
So here's a question, well more a thought exercise. Lets say worst case scenario 2020 season as we know it is cancelled. What is going to happen with the various driver contracts? I can't imagine there is a clause in any contract that extends the contract for another year.
It Will be Hamilton Vettel to Mercedes and Norris Leclerc to Ferrari

Jolle

1158 wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 17:35
It will all depend on what is in each of the contracts. So, there are about 20 different things that will happen.

nzjrs

If one was on the brink of retiring, would this 2020 make them more or less likely to retire?

I was wondering, do F1 teams have the vision to expect a season being cancelled and write a clause in the contract?

Freaking Merc probably does lol

Retirement is another good question. Wonder if Kimi will still hang around or say nuts to this.

strad

nzjrs; I believed then and I believe now that you are just trying to suck me into another ongoing argument.
Suffice to say I don't believe that any Global Warming is the result of us driving ICE cars.
IF there is any warming it's just part of a millions year old ongoing cycle that has happened many many times before.
I could explain more but it would be a waste of my time and yours.
I'm not gonna argue about it any more with you or anyone else.. You are free to believe what you want and so am I. No one is going to slow the juggernaut behind this.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 19:56
nzjrs; I believed then and I believe now that you are just trying to suck me into another ongoing argument.
Suffice to say I don't believe that any Global Warming is the result of us driving ICE cars.
IF there is any warming it's just part of a millions year old ongoing cycle that has happened many many times before.
I'm not gonna argue about it any more with you or anyone else.. You are free to believe what you want and so am I. No one is going to slow the juggernaut behind this.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not here to argue, I retired from the online climate wars about 10 years ago when It became too predictable. I just wanted to see where you are in the seven stages of grief that everyone eventually follows. Sometimes it's valuable just to have people write down what they believe, rarely for them, but usually for the audience.

mmred

nzjrs wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 21:03
strad wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 19:56
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not here to argue, I retired from the online climate wars about 10 years ago when It became too predictable. I just wanted to see where you are in the seven stages of grief that everyone eventually follows. Sometimes it's valuable just to have people write down what they believe, rarely for them, but usually for the audience.
The grief is strong with This one

strad

I have no grief nor am I in denial.
Try reading what the UN and IPCC say.. .05° C by 2050 for a mere 100 Trillion dollars. :lol: Not very big bang for the buck.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 23:08
I have no grief nor am I in denial.
Try reading what the UN and IPCC say.. .05° C by 2050 for a mere 100 Trillion dollars. :lol: Not very big bang for the buck.
Better value than F35... :lol: :lol:

Couldn't resist... :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pyrone89

This is a hard one for teams. Focus fully on 2020 and gamble we have races or run these regs in 2021? Or focus fully on the new generation cars and gamble that 2020 is a write off and the regs don't get postponed. Whoever takes the right gamble vs the opposition may enjoy substantial domination
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Xero

If 2020 is written off, I expect these cars will be used next season, and the new spec cars delayed a year. With the amount of money spent on developing them it would be bonkers not to race them.

Dr. Acula

Xero wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 00:47
If 2020 is written off, I expect these cars will be used next season, and the new spec cars delayed a year. With the amount of money spent on developing them it would be bonkers not to race them.
I don't think so. The teams already started to look into the 2021 cars. Also the development is going on regardless if there are races or not. So even if the FIA would postpone the new aerorules by a year. You would never see the 2020 cars on a track if they cancel the whole season. What you will see are 2021 cars build by the old aero rules next year.