How Much Did Australia Cost?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Radley

How Much Did Australia Cost?

Wondering roughly how much the teams spent to get to Australia? I know they like to pre-stage their freight so was equipment already in Bahrain too?

Just_a_fan

Re: How Much Did Australia Cost?

Don't know, but Pirelli are scrapping 1800 tyres...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phillyred

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 23:41
I will take a set please. I'll even pay for a portion of the shipping.

3jawchuck

Just_a_fan wrote:
Why, can't they be used in other events this season?

Just_a_fan

3jawchuck wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 23:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
Apparently the tyres were stripped from the rims as the teams wanted their rims back and wouldn't pay to have them shipped with the tyres. Once the tyres are stripped from the rims, Pirelli throws them away in case they suffer unseen damage from the process. It's a safety thing.

Where the tyres can stay on the rims, the tyres are just shipped to another race and used there.

It's just one of those things.

tnajner

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 00:09
3jawchuck wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 23:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
Apparently the tyres were stripped from the rims as the teams wanted their rims back and wouldn't pay to have them shipped with the tyres. Once the tyres are stripped from the rims, Pirelli throws them away in case they suffer unseen damage from the process. It's a safety thing.

Where the tyres can stay on the rims, the tyres are just shipped to another race and used there.

It's just one of those things.
I don't really get it why they had to scarp it. I understand there is a safety risk after they were stripped from the rims, but there are many ways how to handle this. Why don't they sell them to fans? Something like special memoriabilia and use money received for some charitable purpose? At least fans would get somehting out of this Australia GP. Really, a great CSR opportunity missed.
Are those tires scrapped or some portion is recycled?

Just_a_fan

They won't sell them to fans - probably because they don't want a team to buy them. Or another tyre manufacturer.

I read somewhere that the tyres are destroyed and then will be burnt in an energy from waste facility. So not recycled but at least not thrown in to landfill.

RZS10

IIRC they scrap all unused tyres after every race anyways, no? Something with making sure all teams get tyres from the same batch and quality control/assurance ...

strad

they are glued to the rims and the teams want the rims and when you break them down it ruins the tires and they can't be glued on again.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

I don't understand 1800 number

Ever if the teams does all their 13 sets on Thursday (doubtful considering number of tyres allocated for each day)

Still it is 20 x 4 x 13 = 1040 tyres

mclaren111

FW17 wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 07:08
I don't understand 1800 number

Ever if the teams does all their 13 sets on Thursday (doubtful considering number of tyres allocated for each day)

Still it is 20 x 4 x 13 = 1040 tyres
There will be Wet & Intermediate tyres as well...

Ringleheim

The destruction of all the tires is just a tiny reminder that F1's entire existence is enormously wasteful, expensive, harmful to the environment, etc., etc., etc.

I always laugh when an issue or new rule comes up and the rationale is "more environmentally friendly" or "helps contain costs" and this type of thing.

If you care about the environment and/or want to conserve money, eliminate F1 entirely and immediately!

If you want to enjoy the pinnacle of world motorsport, let F1 goes its own way, and don't talk to me about costs or environmental impact or anything else .

It's a luxurious, wasteful exercise done mostly in the name of entertainment.

Either we are all OK with that or we're not. So which is it going to be?!

Just_a_fan

By showing an attempt to be "green" the sport hopes to continue providing entertainment for years to come. By saying "m'eh, let's just not care", they'd last a few years and then be killed off.

What your real argument is, of course, is "I don't like current F1 so it should be changed to something I like or scrapped". :wink:

FW17

Michelin can make tyres that can last 750 kms (an entire weekend), and performs well, while F1 keeps Pirelli around just for the entertainment value of 2 second pitsops

JordanMugen

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 16:05
By showing an attempt to be "green" the sport hopes to continue providing entertainment for years to come.
Drag racing gets by just fine as a niche sport without the pretence of being green -- it's quite happy to not have the bluechip sponsors or corporate boxes that F1 prefers. They are quite happy to throw the pistons away every 400m... the transparency of fans being able to congregate around the workspace as the steaming hot engine is rebuilt is certainly something that F1 could learn from!