Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 21:55
Every first-time champion goes through a stage of learning to win a championship almost akin to learning to ride bicycle. Agreed? You raise the training wheels up, push off, try to balance and keep those training wheels in the air as long as you can. After a while, you learn keep balance longer till you are ready to remove the training wheels altogether and repeat the cycle till it is burned into your subconcious mind. This does not happen in one day. Time to learn is the factor.
Verstappen is an awesome driver but the 2020 calendar will be so tightly packed, he simply won't get time to internalize and analyze his executions and apply that to the track. Not to mention reacting to the big picture and applying his championship strategy accordingly. This 2020 champion is not about learning. And it will be too variable to be about instinct. In my estimation it will be about going balls to the wall, and applying past championship tactics and strategies, while executing in surgical precision. In other words this is a fight for those with championship experience.
So, how's that crow eating going :mrgreen: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

raymondu999

To praphrase... One win does not a championship make
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Racer X

I want to repeat what I said before the season started given a strong enough Car Max can more then win THIS season.

He just needs a strong enough Car to fight Hamilton if RedBull can give him a car that is within 1 second.

Then Max and a solid strategy can get the job done.

But yes obviously Hamilton is not easy to beat.

Which would just make anyone beating Hamilton all the more impressive.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

raymondu999

Like don’g get me wrong I think Max is definitely a multi-WDC calibre driver and I think most would agree with that. But given the current circumstances of their cars I don’t think MV + RB will beat LH + Merc in 2020
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Wouter

raymondu999 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 07:53
Like don’g get me wrong I think Max is definitely a multi-WDC calibre driver and I think most would agree with that.
But given the current circumstances of their cars I don’t think MV + RB will beat LH + Merc in 2020

Did you see these current circumstances yesterday? These are good and will only get better. :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

GPR-A

Wouter wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 09:47
raymondu999 wrote:
Like don’g get me wrong I think Max is definitely a multi-WDC calibre driver and I think most would agree with that.
But given the current circumstances of their cars I don’t think MV + RB will beat LH + Merc in 2020

Did you see these current circumstances yesterday? These are good and will only get better. :wink:
Haven't we seen such rare occurrence every now and then? Canada and Hungary 2014, Malaysia and Singapore 2015, Canada and Brazil 2018, Austria 2019? How often it has gotten better in a season? Given that RB16 is still such a twitchy car in qualifying, slower by a second and generally over half a second slower in races, what's the hope? Can they run the same shallow rear wing in Barcelona and take care of their tyres, the way they did in Silverstone, with C1, C2 and C3 back with usual tyre pressures? :wink:

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 09:47
raymondu999 wrote:

Why will they only get better? Are they planning to run high pressured soft tyres at all the remaining races?

raymondu999

1 race thus far. There is no trendline to be plotted as of yet. I am not saying it wont get better, I’m saying it’s not necessarily a trend yet
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Andres125sx

RBR strategy usually is one of the best if not the best, but GBR1 mistake could be the difference between winning or not, at least if Mercedes problems with tires are repeated on some other GPs

Today:
Hamilton 107 points
Verstappen 77 points

Those 30 points difference may be 16 if they´d have kept Max on track instead of pitting for the fast lap, as he´d have scored 7 more points and Lewis 7 less. 14 points can easily be the difference between becoming WDC or not

Now imagine if RBR would have win last 2 GPs, things would be pretty interesting

Sieper

Well, look in the race thread and see how that opinion goes down. Even when you do actually agree that Lewis will win this by some margin.

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Every first-time champion goes through a stage of learning to win a championship almost akin to learning to ride bicycle. Agreed? You raise the training wheels up, push off, try to balance and keep those training wheels in the air as long as you can. After a while, you learn keep balance longer till you are ready to remove the training wheels altogether and repeat the cycle till it is burned into your subconcious mind. This does not happen in one day. Time to learn is the factor.
Verstappen is an awesome driver but the 2020 calendar will be so tightly packed, he simply won't get time to internalize and analyze his executions and apply that to the track. Not to mention reacting to the big picture and applying his championship strategy accordingly. This 2020 champion is not about learning. And it will be too variable to be about instinct. In my estimation it will be about going balls to the wall, and applying past championship tactics and strategies, while executing in surgical precision. In other words this is a fight for those with championship experience.
This was the opening post. The point of this thread. The last few sentences almost read as a description of last race.

El Scorchio

Sieper wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 15:31
PlatinumZealot wrote:
This was the opening post. The point of this thread. The last few sentences almost read as a description of last race.
With the important addition of his rivals cars shredding their tyres. Max is great, but this wasn't really a straight fight between the two different cars running at their proper capability and shouldn't be spoken about as such. It was taking advantage of a significant handicap in a competitor. I've no doubt Max will win another race or two this season and all you can do is race each situation as it develops, but I don't think they should expect too many more 'gimme' weekends.

Sieper

Probably not, but he did execute and push the mercs early on, I think that played a role in the outcome. Merc will get on top of it, agreed.

ENGINE TUNER

Sieper wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 16:03
Probably not, but he did execute and push the mercs early on, I think that played a role in the outcome. Merc will get on top of it, agreed.
No it didn't, he didn't pass them, Merc made the mistake of puitting too early in the first stint. He was behind them and they should have stayed out as long as they were ahead and building a gap to the cars behind max. Max not driving "like a grandma" was inconsequential, Merc's idiotic strategy was of consequence. Merc made bad strategy calls all weekend long and handed this win to Max.

PlatinumZealot

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 15:24
RBR strategy usually is one of the best if not the best, but GBR1 mistake could be the difference between winning or not, at least if Mercedes problems with tires are repeated on some other GPs

Today:
Hamilton 107 points
Verstappen 77 points

Those 30 points difference may be 16 if they´d have kept Max on track instead of pitting for the fast lap, as he´d have scored 7 more points and Lewis 7 less. 14 points can easily be the difference between becoming WDC or not

Now imagine if RBR would have win last 2 GPs, things would be pretty interesting
It's only five races. And Hamilton has an equal status teamate whereas Max has a number 2 so Max has all of the best RBR points to himself and will be always closw in the points to the Mercedes drivers simple Maths.

The 70th GP was a performance anomaly where the Mercdese drivers could not drive the car how it should be driven. So basically a handicap for them. Max only will have a chance if these conditions become more common. In essense the RedBull will become the dominant car if hot races become the norm.

30 points is four wins difference, but again, Max is still not considered to be in the championship fight yet. He and Lewis have been racing on two different peices of track so far.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏