Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
langedweil

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 00:18
But with a driving style similar to what Hamilton has already, I think a polar opposite set of tools to what Hamilton has will be needed to overcome the lack of experience.
Well, we will see how it'll work out as soon as Lewis no longer has a car that is 0.800secs faster in qualy or race.
He's certainly good, though he ain't God ..
HuggaWugga !

coaster

Theres a guy named Adrian Newey who has a habit of designing cars that win, it will be Verstappens to lose. Judging by all the pressure Marko is heaping on him to perform, think about Gasly, Rudbull is pressure cooker and that could be bad for driver performance also.

raymondu999

coaster wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 07:50
Theres a guy named Adrian Newey who has a habit of designing cars that win, it will be Verstappens to lose.
They had Newey in 2006-2009 and 2014-2019 too though. It wasn't RB's to lose then.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

Maybe Newey is now overrated ? 4 WCC titles in 20 YEARS!!!
He wont 6 in 8 years before the turn of the century.

Looking at the form,

80's - 0 titles, (I know he only just got properly in to F1 with March)
90's - 6 WCC , 6 WDC
00's - 0 titles.
10's - 4 WCC , 4 WDC
20's.... 0 titles ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wouter

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 11:13
Maybe Newey is now overrated ? 4 titles in 20 YEARS!!!
So if you have the best car designer, you are guaranteed of the World Championship?
It really does take a little more to reach a WC. For example a strong engine and driver.
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 11:23
NathanOlder wrote:
So if you have the best car designer, you are guaranteed of the World Championship?
It really does take a little more to reach a WC. For example a strong engine and driver.
Yeah so the designer on his own can't win in the Hybrid era, so Newey is in a way overrated, as he is beaten more often than not.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Fulcrum

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 11:27
Wouter wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 11:23
NathanOlder wrote:
Yeah so the designer on his own can't win in the Hybrid era, so Newey is in a way overrated, as he is beaten more often than not.
He's lost more often than he has won, but he wins significantly more than random chance dictates is likely. By the same logic, everyone would be a loser.

Mercedes are operating at such a high level across all domains (engine, chassis, aerodynamics, drivers, etc...) they nullify any potential advantage Newey may bring.

The sport is ultimately still driven by money. The biggest spenders buy the perceived best talent. Has the perception of Newey's ability changed? His salary suggests otherwise.

Just_a_fan

The simple summary is that no one wins without a winning car. Sure, you can win the odd race because of circumstances, but no one wins titles without a good car. Anyone claiming that "X only wins/won because of the car" is missing the simple fact that no one wins titles in a bad car.

If Max wins the title it will be because he's in a good car with a team that is performing well. He then tops that off with his skill. Likewise Hamilton, etc.

Doing well in a bad car is a better indicator. If you don't have the best car and still perform then you're someone to watch. Several drivers match that description: Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen. Sadly, I'm not sure Vettel does. Michael did, Senna did, Prost did etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 15:23
The simple summary is that no one wins without a winning car. Sure, you can win the odd race because of circumstances, but no one wins titles without a good car. Anyone claiming that "X only wins/won because of the car" is missing the simple fact that no one wins titles in a bad car.

If Max wins the title it will be because he's in a good car with a team that is performing well. He then tops that off with his skill. Likewise Hamilton, etc.

Doing well in a bad car is a better indicator. If you don't have the best car and still perform then you're someone to watch. Several drivers match that description: Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen. Sadly, I'm not sure Vettel does. Michael did, Senna did, Prost did etc.
The next 5 pages will be about Monza 2008 now you said that :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Wynters

Just_a_fan wrote:
Monza 2008 (I know, I know :D )? Youngest driver to win races for two different teams? His Championship battle with Button?

For me, one of the bigger tragedies of the sport has been Vettel's decline. When Kimi basically matched him over the last 2/3rds of the 2018(?) season it was only a matter of time...

Racer X

I know i'm here late but if Verstappen has the car to win the Championship in 2020 he will. Hes an experienced driver hes not new he already had* his overly aggressive years. Now he knows his limit also hes experienced to where he know what the younger drivers will try and know's how to approach the Veterans(on the track). Hes in that perfect phase now in my opinion.
Last edited by Racer X on 18 Jun 2020, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 16:20
Just_a_fan wrote:

The next 5 pages will be about Monza 2008 now you said that :lol:
That fits in the "odd race because of circumstances", I'd say.

NathanOlder

Good point, case closed. Nothing to see here, move on people.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan

Racer X wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 16:49
I know i'm here late but if Verstappen has the car to win the Championship in 2020 he will. Hes an experienced driver hes not new he already had* his overly aggressive years. Now he knows his limit also hes experienced to where he know what the younger drivers will try and know how to approach the Veterans. Hes in that perfect phase now in my opinion.
If he's in the running for a title against, say Leclerc or Hamilton, neither will give him the room that he's been given in the past. Hamilton has said that he's given Max room when around him because he's looking at the long game picture, not the single moment with Max, and he knows that Max is in the "I'm going to stick the car in and you either let me through or we crash" style. But if he and Max are fighting for the title, I think Hamilton will get much more elbows-out than he has been. We already know that Leclerc has decided to be that way as witnessed at Silverstone last year.

In that situation, Max will need to find new tricks to pull off wins - assuming the car isn't fast enough to run away in to the distance.

PlatinumZealot

NathanOlder wrote:
Maybe Newey is now overrated ? 4 WCC titles in 20 YEARS!!!
He wont 6 in 8 years before the turn of the century.

Looking at the form,

80's - 0 titles, (I know he only just got properly in to F1 with March)
90's - 6 WCC , 6 WDC
00's - 0 titles.
10's - 4 WCC , 4 WDC
20's.... 0 titles ?
The Mclarens of the 2000's were all based on his blueprints. I think the latter Ferraris too were also copies of his style some where along the way.. which Mclaren stole back again to refresh their memories lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏