Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
langedweil

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 15:05
The lap before VER crashed into LEC in Austria shows what would happen if VER didn't use dirty tactics and push LEC off track.
The biggest "entitled millennials" in F1 are daddy's little boys Stroll and VER.
There was just nothing Lec could have done to hold on to 1st. And for good measure, he turned in on Ver .. not the other way around.
But apparently you and I (and the stewards) differ in opinion, which is fine with me. Time will tell who's right.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

sosic2121 wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 16:21
If those two races haven't opened your eyes regarding Leclerc and Verstappen, nothing will. Leclerc clearly outclassed Verstappen, and we have seen what measures Verstappen has to take to end up in front of him.
... when he's got an illegal deficit of 40+ bhp (you forgot that last part).

All races since COTA showed Lec's dominance as well I reckon?
But maybe I just have a blurred vision .. could be, could be.
HuggaWugga !

NathanOlder

langedweil wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 18:57
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
The lap before VER crashed into LEC in Austria shows what would happen if VER didn't use dirty tactics and push LEC off track.
The biggest "entitled millennials" in F1 are daddy's little boys Stroll and VER.
There was just nothing Lec could have done to hold on to 1st. And for good measure, he turned in on Ver .. not the other way around.
But apparently you and I (and the stewards) differ in opinion, which is fine with me. Time will tell who's right.
Lewis 'turned in' on Nico in 16, Nico got the penalty.

Nico got a penalty as he was seen to have not given Lewis racing room. In my opinion that was spot on. When you are inside someone on a corner, you have to adjust your speed and line accordingly to allow the car on your outside to remain on the race track. You can't just push someone off.

Max does almost the exact same thing, had no penalty. So I guess the stewards and yourself seem to think Max left Charles racing room.

Or in reality, the move deserved a penalty, Nico got one as it didn't affect his final result. Max didn't get one as it would change the win of the race for the RedBull, in RedBull land.

In other words the gutless stewards didn't have a spine. Same story for Charles win in Monza. He pushed Lewis off, and nothing come of it. Ferrari in Ferrari land. Gutless stewards.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 19:29
langedweil wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 18:57
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Lewis 'turned in' on Nico in 16, Nico got the penalty.

Nico got a penalty as he was seen to have not given Lewis racing room. In my opinion that was spot on. When you are inside someone on a corner, you have to adjust your speed and line accordingly to allow the car on your outside to remain on the race track. You can't just push someone off.

Max does almost the exact same thing, had no penalty. So I guess the stewards and yourself seem to think Max left Charles racing room.

Or in reality, the move deserved a penalty, Nico got one as it didn't affect his final result. Max didn't get one as it would change the win of the race for the RedBull, in RedBull land.

In other words the gutless stewards didn't have a spine. Same story for Charles win in Monza. He pushed Lewis off, and nothing come of it. Ferrari in Ferrari land. Gutless stewards.
I guess you are right.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 11:27

Yeah so the designer on his own can't win in the Hybrid era, so Newey is in a way overrated, as he is beaten more often than not.
I personally don´t like this sort of comments, sorry Nathan :oops: but imagine someone using DaVinci failed inventions to state he was not a genius and he´s overrated #-o it´s similar, no genius produce a 100% of brilliant ideas

Also genius like Newey don´t compete with retards, there are similar genius at any other top team, so since humans are not robots and don´t perform at their very best level constantly, some season the best will be the best, and some season the best will not be the best, as simple as that, but that does not mean he´s not a genius, only that he´s a human

Add to that F1 is a team competition so the overal perfomance will depend on the work of a lot of people apart from him, and even the very best genius ever (not saying Newey is) may strugle to win a single title if all the rest of his team is not at the very best level too. The whole F1 grid is composed by the very best in their fields, difference between the more brilliant genius in the grid and the third or fourth is not that high, so the rest of the team will always play a crucial role to win or not. That´s the greatness of any team competition. Look at football/soccer with Messi not winning a single America´s cup or World Cup despite several attempts at each. Does that mean he´s not a genius? I don´t think so, and I´m a Real Madrid fan :wink:

Andres125sx

Gerhardsa wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 18:01
Verstappen gets into everyone's head and most that try to take him on wheel to wheel (most of the time) come out 2nd best, even Lewis! That says a lot.
Or not. He´s on a top car, fighting the title contenders, but without being a title contender himself. I think that says a lot more :P

Just kidding, his car is not at the necessary level to be a title contender, but I was heading the post to this fact intentionally. When he´s had the chance to fight Lewis or Vettel because in that specific track his car performed great, he didn´t have the pressure and points necessity Lewis and Vettel had, so he could go all in, the fight was not completely fair.

That´s what he had to do, not criticizing Max here, but to compare him with Lewis we have to wait until they fight in equal conditions, with both drivers and teams fighting for the titles. Then we will see how they compare in wheel to wheel racing. And I´m eager to see it btw!! I think they´re (with Ricciardo) the very best in that

Wouter

langedweil wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 19:06
sosic2121 wrote:
If those two races haven't opened your eyes regarding Leclerc and Verstappen, nothing will. Leclerc clearly outclassed Verstappen, and we have seen what measures Verstappen has to take to end up in front of him.

:D \:D/
The Power of Dreams!

LM10

langedweil wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 19:06
sosic2121 wrote:

Can you show me a proof of your 40+ hp claim or is it just your wish?

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 19:40
NathanOlder wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 11:27

Yeah so the designer on his own can't win in the Hybrid era, so Newey is in a way overrated, as he is beaten more often than not.
I personally don´t like this sort of comments, sorry Nathan :oops: but imagine someone using DaVinci failed inventions to state he was not a genius and he´s overrated #-o it´s similar, no genius produce a 100% of brilliant ideas

Also genius like Newey don´t compete with retards, there are similar genius at any other top team, so since humans are not robots and don´t perform at their very best level constantly, some season the best will be the best, and some season the best will not be the best, as simple as that, but that does not mean he´s not a genius, only that he´s a human

Add to that F1 is a team competition so the overal perfomance will depend on the work of a lot of people apart from him, and even the very best genius ever (not saying Newey is) may strugle to win a single title if all the rest of his team is not at the very best level too. The whole F1 grid is composed by the very best in their fields, difference between the more brilliant genius in the grid and the third or fourth is not that high, so the rest of the team will always play a crucial role to win or not. That´s the greatness of any team competition. Look at football/soccer with Messi not winning a single America´s cup or World Cup despite several attempts at each. Does that mean he´s not a genius? I don´t think so, and I´m a Real Madrid fan :wink:
So do you consider Vettel to be the best? as his success came at the same time as Neweys. Since then we all know Seb is nothing like what he previously was. So why can't Newey be in the same boat?

I stick to my original opinion in that Newey is now, overrated. I'd agree he is possibly the best of all time in his field. But it doesn't mean he can now be overrated.

Also if you don't want to end up on many ignore lists, please don't use the word r##tard. It's extremely offensive.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

PlatinumZealot

Nah Newey is worth every penny. Far from overrated. His cars have had the most consistent downforce in the last two years and almost zero balance issues. If Honda gets closer to Mercedes Max is going to be a serious threat every race to the Merc boys.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Newey is spoke about in a way that he can make a poor engine win, when its clear that's never going to be possible in the hybrid era. He needs an equal engine to compete for a championship. Like I said earlier, the guy probably goes down as the best of all time, but currently his best years are behind him.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

godlameroso

Could Verstappen win over a season vs Hamilton in a car that is on average .2 seconds slower? Last year Verstappen was Mercedes closest competitor in a car that was between .3 and .7 seconds off the pace in all but the high altitude races. I expect the gap to be closer, where the Max Bull will be between a match for the Mercedes, up to .3 seconds off the pace, and a season average of .2 down. If Verstappen beats Hamilton in a slightly slower car it will cement him as one of the greats. Then again we don't know what Ferrari is really capable of, or anyone else really.
Saishū kōnā

ENGINE TUNER

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 00:01
Newey is spoke about in a way that he can make a poor engine win, when its clear that's never going to be possible in the hybrid era. He needs an equal engine to compete for a championship. Like I said earlier, the guy probably goes down as the best of all time, but currently his best years are behind him.
This may be the hybrid era, but aero and tires are still the greatest differentiating factors in F1. Williams and Racing Point have the same PU as the champs and haven't gotten even a podium or win with it. F1 is all about aero and tires.

VER does not maximize his points effectively enough to be a championship level driver at this point, regardless of the equipment under him. He has been a crasher his entire career and still was in 2019.

Crashed into SAI in Bahrain
Crashed into BOT in Monaco
Crashed into HAM in Monaco
Crashed into LEC in Austria
Touched LEC at Silverstone
Crashed into Kimi in Spa, TWICE!
Crashed into someone at Monza T1
Crashed into HAM in Mexico
Crashed into BOT in Mexico
Crashed into MAG in Mexico

The proof is irrefutable, lucky for him the stewards are lenient on him, or he probably should have enough penalty points for a race ban.

langedweil

LM10 wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 20:53
Can you show me a proof of your 40+ hp claim or is it just your wish?
Silly whataboutism .. it's only just the number that was used by the whole world in literally every article, post or discussion concerning the fuel flow engine directive back in November (actually, most used guestimate was around 50bhp, so I've even been mild).

Look, Lec is an absolute talent, no doubt about that. But using the phrase 'dirty tactics' against one guy whilst appraising the other guy with an illegal PU, feels somewhat .. shortsighted.
That's all fine with me, just whataboutism-ing your way out of an argument isn't very sexy.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 01:25
The proof is irrefutable ..
Irrefutable even ..
=D> =D> =D>
HuggaWugga !