“almost oval” Bahrain track

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jaeger

Re: “almost oval” Bahrain track

jjn9128 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:11
NathanOlder wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 09:20
The original turn 1 makes for much better overtaking though, in turns 1 and 4. So I would like to see them stick to the original T-1, 2 ,3 combo.
Agreed. Though with a faster T1/2 the current T4 becomes a bigger braking zone, depends where DRS is placed too. I wonder if the track is on any sims.
There is a "Bahrain International" made by CTDP for rFactor (converted to rFactor 2 too) with the Outer Circuit.

raymondu999

Don’t forget that the T4 is reprofiled to be a quicker apex - less braking too
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:11
NathanOlder wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 09:20
The original turn 1 makes for much better overtaking though, in turns 1 and 4. So I would like to see them stick to the original T-1, 2 ,3 combo.
Agreed. Though with a faster T1/2 the current T4 becomes a bigger braking zone, depends where DRS is placed too. I wonder if the track is on any sims.
But T4 is a more open corner so less braking is required anyway. Indeed, the overtakes we have seen there in the past almost certainly won't happen in this layout.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Turn 4 is the same, there is no change in its exit.

The turn 5 left handed is after the exit.

Just_a_fan

Yes, but the fact they're going to turning left at the exit means the line through 4 will change.

You can see from on board from 0.36, with Rosberg in 2014, how they keep turning right after the apex of 4. If going on to the "oval" (visible straight ahead at 0.39), the apex will be taken earlier and the corner straighter in effect. Thus less braking required in to 4 and thus less of an overtaking opportunity.

What will be interesting, is whether it will be possible stay with the driver ahead through 5 and 6 to be close enough to try in to the tight left of 7. That's really the last opportunity on the lap - the turn at the end of the next straight is too fast to try an overtake. That means only T1 is a real overtake. Take that away and make it a Hockenheim T1 / Copse style fast corner, and there is basically no overtaking at all.

jjn9128

This is what I wanted to see, has the outer circuit with normal t1/2/3 which from this I think you have to keep to have any overtaking.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

Yes, without T1/2/3, there is basically nowhere to over take. The "oval" is basically a much less interesting Hungaroring. I bet the drivers would be bored driving it.

FW17

It is going to be 50 second lap, there will be plenty of overtaking with cars getting messed up in the traffic.

Why spoil a good layout with a hair pin? When drivers can figure out an overtaking into copse and Stowe of Silverstone (which is a lot more exciting than at a hairpin) and drs making overtakes less memorable, I crave for battles that would last a dozen laps (quiet possible with a short lap and plenty of straights to relax those pirellis).

nzjrs

If for no other reason, it's worth it as an experiment alone I'd say.

Just_a_fan

FW17 wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 20:11
It is going to be 50 second lap, there will be plenty of overtaking with cars getting messed up in the traffic.

Why spoil a good layout with a hair pin? When drivers can figure out an overtaking into copse and Stowe of Silverstone (which is a lot more exciting than at a hairpin) and drs making overtakes less memorable, I crave for battles that would last a dozen laps (quiet possible with a short lap and plenty of straights to relax those pirellis).
Simple answer: physics.

Juzh

2010 gives a small glimpse of this oval layout before going into that horrible infield section

https://streamable.com/ehzddk

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 00:42
FW17 wrote:

Simple answer: physics.
You can have all the physics for the first race. We need a disruptor to conventional thinking for the second race.

raymondu999

FW17 wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 11:50
Turn 4 is the same, there is no change in its exit.

The turn 5 left handed is after the exit.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... B&usqp=CAU
No that's the 2010 layout. The almost oval uses an earlier left turn.Look at the track map in the 1st post. It's not the same road.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 16:30
Yes, but the fact they're going to turning left at the exit means the line through 4 will change.
I do not think so...looking at the video, turn 4 is defined by the outside apex behind and this will not really change. Turn 5 in this layout with a current car will not be an issue, which would compromise turn 4 in any way.
Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 19:41
Yes, without T1/2/3, there is basically nowhere to over take. The "oval" is basically a much less interesting Hungaroring. I bet the drivers would be bored driving it.
That is absolutely true. With the layout with only one quick turn after the start/finish, this would be a non-overtaking track. You have three to four turns in which you can not follow in the upper part in the track map and then another quick one at the best overtaking opp. With the standard T1/2/3 layout one can get closer on the two straights, stay very close in T1/2/3 and overtake into turn 4. Or even have battles like Ros/Ham where the lead changes twice.
FW17 wrote:
The track has a length like Adelaide or just 10% less than Indy...with much better overtaking opportunities. I do not think that traffic will be too bad.
FW17 wrote:
There will be no battle without a hairpin. It would be all quick corners, no way to relax the tires as the following car would suffer dirty air. We will see again a big dirty air problem this year and longer...unfortunately the reg change is not coming, so forget about following close over many laps.
The oval layout with a quick T1 is similar to T1 in Hockenheim...nothing happening there...
Don`t russel the hamster!

ESPImperium

Outer track, 3 DRS zones, Straight leading to main straight, main straight, and straight leading to T4.

If this layout is used, they need to make the DRS on the main straight one that is only the final 500m before the 100m board. Make overtaking tougher?