Are Mercedes creating the longest period of dominance on record?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Are Mercedes creating the longest period of dominance on record?

dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:43
Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:35
I am not sure the rule changes were suited to Merc. It could just appear that way because they were sharp enough to be ready to embrace or overcome them sooner than anyone else. I actually thought at the time(s) and I do not remember exactly what or why, that they were intended to baulk Merc rather than aid them, but they got around them.
Banning of FRIC?
Did that not harm Merc more than others? Their system was slightly late, but seemed a better one
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Pyrone89

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:46
Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:41
Big Tea wrote:

I am not sure the rule changes were suited to Merc. It could just appear that way because they were sharp enough to be ready to embrace or overcome them sooner than anyone else. I actually thought at the time(s) and I do not remember exactly what or why, that they were intended to baulk Merc rather than aid them, but they got around them.
Which ones? The wider more draggy cars? the new engine? The new anti-high rake front wing? The custom tyre adjustments? The 2021 anti- high rake cut in front of the rear wheels?
Which would have favoured Merc as they were running at the time and not other teams?
I do not remember any of the other teams protesting that it was giving Merc an advantage.
(mind, I'm old and forget things conveniently :D )
Cannot protest rule changes, but Newey on multiple occassions made know how he felt
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:48
dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:43
Big Tea wrote:
Banning of FRIC?
Did that not harm Merc more than others? Their system was slightly late, but seemed a better one
I was suggesting something that was intended to baulk Merc.
197 104 103 7

Pyrone89

No it wasnt, it was used by others before. And the subsequent ban meant RB couldnt use their rake lowering squatting on straights to help them with their straightline deficit.

Just_a_fan

Newey wants an aero-dominated rule set. What we have now is a balanced rule set where you need decent aero and a decent engine. Sure, the early part of the hybrid era worked well for Mercedes because their PU was the best, but then they invested a lot of time and effort in their power unit. Red Bull choose to have someone else's PU. And then publicly bad mouth them if they're not winning.

I expect to see RedBull publicly bad mouth Honda if they're not winning lots by the end of the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

notsofast

Since no one else seems to be interested in answering OPs question, I'll give it a go.

As an engine supplier, Ford won 7 WCCs in a row. All other streaks seem to have stranded at six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... _Champions

dans79

Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:57
No it wasnt, it was used by others before. And the subsequent ban meant RB couldnt use their rake lowering squatting on straights to help them with their straightline deficit.
A quick Google search suggests many news agencies disagree with you.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

Doesn't Mercedes biggest rival in the past few years have a veto on rules?

If you look at the Mercedes team, it's well build up. It looks like their way of organizing their organization is not only effective, but also less dependent on certain people, but the real talented people that are here, have all the room to shine. With the (healthy) turnover Mercedes had in senior staff over the last few years, any other team would be dropping back, while Mercedes just seems to get stronger....

with maybe one exception, just like Schumacher was a perfect match for Ferrari in the early 2000's and Senna with McLaren, Lewis Hamilton is a perfect fit. If you take him away, it might even been exciting for a couple of seasons. The last time he crashed out of a GP, half the field wasn't even in F1 yet....

With this system in place, which looks more like McLaren from the eighties and nineties then Ferrari, there isn't really a weak point for the next few years. They don't have an engine partner that can bail... with the limits on budget and testing, doesn't look like a team is going to out engineer them. With the cost cap, it also makes F1 more protected from financial downfalls of Daimler. The weakest link might be Hamilton, if he quits in 2 or 3 years, they must have someone that can deliver on track.

Pyrone89

dans79 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:01
Pyrone89 wrote:
Lotus (who were a front running team at the time).
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 13 Jul 2020, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

notsofast wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:00
Since no one else seems to be interested in answering OPs question, I'll give it a go.

As an engine supplier, Ford won 7 WCCs in a row. All other streaks seem to have stranded at six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... _Champions
Well, Cosworth.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Pyrone89 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:19
dans79 wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:
Lotus
I wasn't referring to who had the first implementation of it, I was referring to why it was banned, And who it hurt the most!

Not to mention what lotus developed for 2012 never saw a single lap, because it used hydraulic cylinders in the braking system if memory serves to adjust ride height.
197 104 103 7

Pyrone89

dans79 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:27
Pyrone89 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:19
dans79 wrote:

Lotus
I wasn't referring to who had the first implementation of it, I was referring to why it was banned, And who it hurt the most!

Not to mention what lotus developed for 2012 never saw a single lap, because it used hydraulic cylinders in the braking system if memory serves to adjust ride height.
The news articles I got are about how Mercedes is complementing Lotus with FRIC and later how especially Lotus is hurt.

dans79

Lotus was hurt by a lack of funds more than anything else. Like for example when they stopped paying Kimmi.
197 104 103 7

Pyrone89

The lack of funds surely didnt help.
http://en.espn.co.uk/lotusf1/motorspor ... 71191.html