Alex Albon (THA) joins Narain Karthikeyan (IND) for a guarantee of most-successful non-Japanese Asian driver in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3

Alex Albon (THA) joins Narain Karthikeyan (IND) for a guarantee of most-successful non-Japanese Asian driver in F1

Alexander Albon (Thailand) and Narain Karthikeyan (India)

In fact both drivers scored a highest Grand Prix finish respectively (Albon P3 in Mugello 2020 and Karthikeyan P4 in Indianapolis 2005). I hope also Albon will more successful than Karthikeyan in the future

Your opinions?
Last edited by theriusDR3 on 14 Sep 2020, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Re: Alexander Albon (Thailand) joins Narain Karthikeyan (India) for a guarantee of most-successful non-Japanese Asian dr

:mrgreen: I can not believe how young Narain looks there
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Alex Albon (THA) joins Narain Karthikeyan (IND) for a guarantee of most-successful non-Japanese Asian driver in F1

My opinion...

The talent is there obviously. Asia has more than 3 billion people. Motorsport is likely only accessible to the rich so whoever does make it to F1 is once in a lifetime maybe and not necessairily the best out there due to obvious circumstances.... His feature on netflix's "Drive to survive" was a touching story. He has typical south asian expectation put on him by his family to be the man of the house at an early age. He has been through some challenges that's for sure.

But.. I would say Albon has done well and I do expect him to grow. Being alongside Max Verstappen is never easy and we must not deride Alex too much for his efforts. I look forward to see how he develops. He needs to get tougher though.

I guess this is a big achievement for the people of thailand.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

Re: Alex Albon (THA) joins Narain Karthikeyan (IND) for a guarantee of most-successful non-Japanese Asian driver in F1

Lol @ Karthikeyan, he was 'so succesfull' that i absolutely forgot he ever actually existed.

If i'm going to be critical though,
does Albon really qualify under that 'Asian' label though?

He was born in London, to a British father. His mother is Thai, but he grew up in Suffolk, and never ever participated in any single 'Asian' racing Formula,
his 'home base' always was Great Britain, Europe. I think it's safe to say he is far more 'brit' than Thai.
He has all the right to drive under the 'Thai' flag so i'd say he probably 'feels' Thai, but if i'm honest,
I feel like there's a very 'honest' picture to call him 'Asian', compared for example to a Thai person that is born to Thai parents,
grew up in Thailand, and has competed in various Asian racing formulas before getting into F1.

Karthikeyan for example WAS born in India, gew up in India, drove in Indian formula racing, participated in the Formula Asia Championship, Formula Asia International,
and the Formula Nippon 3000.

That said however, Karthikeyan in Indianapolis 2005, is also a bit 'playing' it. Sure it's an official result, but that entire GP was a facade.

BTW, looking at 'Thai's',
Birabongse Bhanudej was another former F1 driver, and a 100% Thai and scored 8 points in his career. Less than Albon, sure,
but well....how many non-Japanese F1 drivers have there ever been?

Apart from those 3, there was Rio Haryanto (0 points), Alex Yoong (0 points),.

Totalling thus a mere 5 non-japanese 'asian' drivers ever.
And again, i think it's 'debatable' whether Albon is as 'Asian' as Narain, Haryanto and Yoong where for example.

Just to be clear, i'm not trying to paint any form of 'discrimination' here.
I think Verstappen for example is as much 'Dutch' as he is 'Belgian'. But both make him 100% European.

I'm just saying, I personally believe Albon is much more 'European' (British) than he is Thai.

Don't get me wrong though, I think he's a pretty great driver and I do root for him. Even though I don't believe he's RBR mothership material. I am very happy for his P3 though, and i am very disappoint he was knocked out by Hamilton on an occasion that he may have finished even better.

I also think it's pretty much guaranteed his future will be better than Narain whatever happens, and I think Albon definately has career in F1 even outside of RedBull should that ever come to a halt.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

BTW, arn't we forgetting Karun Chandhok?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karun_Chandhok

In 2000, Chandhok was Indian National Racing Champion winning seven out of ten races in the Formula Maruti series.
He scored pole position and fastest lap in all ten races.
In 2001, Chandhok was the Formula 2000 Asia champion, becoming the youngest ever Asian Formula Champion, driving for Team India Racing.

Chandhok tested with British Formula 3 champion team Carlin Motorsport in 2001. He raced in the National class in 2002, driving for T-Sport, finishing sixth in class.
He stayed with T-Sport in the National Class for 2003, and finished third in the final class standings
In 2004 Chandhok stepped up to the main British Formula 3 class with T-Sport, and finished 14th in the standings.

( Edit, soz, should have cited details are from Wiki. )
Last edited by Big Tea on 15 Sep 2020, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

Yes, Chandhook belongs there too, i forgot to include him in my comment but he neither was successfull in F1 so to speak, He made 0 points in his career, like Rio Haryanto, even though I do believe Chandhook had more potential than he ever was able to show or develop.

It shows it's still a very Euro-dominant racing series.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 19:11
Lol @ Karthikeyan, he was 'so succesfull' that i absolutely forgot he ever actually existed.

He was born in London, to a British father. His mother is Thai, but he grew up in Suffolk, and never ever participated in any single 'Asian' racing Formula,
his 'home base' always was Great Britain, Europe. I think it's safe to say he is far more 'brit' than Thai.
He has all the right to drive under the 'Thai' flag so i'd say he probably 'feels' Thai, but if i'm honest,
I feel like there's a very 'honest' picture to call him 'Asian', compared for example to a Thai person that is born to Thai parents,
grew up in Thailand, and has competed in various Asian racing formulas before getting into F1.

Karthikeyan for example WAS born in India, gew up in India, drove in Indian formula racing, participated in the Formula Asia Championship, Formula Asia International,

That said however, Karthikeyan in Indianapolis 2005, is also a bit 'playing' it. Sure it's an official result, but that entire GP was a facade.

Birabongse Bhanudej was another former F1 driver, and a 100% Thai and scored 8 points in his career. Less than Albon, sure,

And again, i think it's 'debatable' whether Albon is as 'Asian' as Narain, Haryanto and Yoong where for example.

I think Verstappen for example is as much 'Dutch' as he is 'Belgian'. But both make him 100% European.

I'm just saying, I personally believe Albon is much more 'European' (British) than he is Thai.

Don't get me wrong though, I think he's a pretty great driver and I do root for him. Even though I don't believe he's RBR mothership material. I am very happy for his P3 though, and i am very disappoint he was knocked out by Hamilton on an occasion that he may have finished even better.

I also think it's pretty much guaranteed his future will be better than Narain whatever happens, and I think Albon definately has career in F1 even outside of RedBull should that ever come to a halt.
I think in this modern world, where many people aren’t stuck in one country, it’s up to the person himself where their home is. Somehow within europe it isn’t a problem (Rosberg went from Finnish to German and lived his whole life in Monaco), Verstappen is Dutch but grew up in Belgium with his Belgium mum, etc etc. If Albon presents himself as Thai? He’s Tai. Simple.
Last edited by Jolle on 18 Sep 2020, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 22:28
Manoah2u wrote:

I think in this modern world, where many people aren’t stuck in one country, it’s up to the person himself where their home is. Somehow within europe it isn’t a problem (Rosberg went from Finnish to German and lived his whole life in Monaco), Verstappen is Dutch but grew up in Belgium with his Belgium mum, etc etc. If Albon presents himself as Tai? He’s Tai. Simple.
Horner and Marco wanted to join an exclusive club, but were told they can not come in without a Thai

(sorry :oops: )

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 22:47
Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 22:28
Manoah2u wrote:

I think in this modern world, where many people aren’t stuck in one country, it’s up to the person himself where their home is. Somehow within europe it isn’t a problem (Rosberg went from Finnish to German and lived his whole life in Monaco), Verstappen is Dutch but grew up in Belgium with his Belgium mum, etc etc. If Albon presents himself as Tai? He’s Tai. Simple.
Horner and Marco wanted to join an exclusive club, but were told they can not come in without a Thai

(sorry :oops: )
Only they were caught out, the cheapskates had a history of going Dutch

coaster

Have you heard his engineer talk to him on the radio? Brow beating, bordering on bullying, no rapport at all. Alex is a really nice guy without the mean streak needed to survive a toxic situation such as team orders.
The sort of guy you would want as a freind.

PlatinumZealot

He couldn't adapt to the car unfortunately.
Great overtaking skills and aggression on the track.
He is soft in front of the camera but that has nothing to do with why he hasnt gotten closer to Max I think. So I would put it down to not being able to adapt his driving style in the short time he was given.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 18:02
He is soft in front of the camera but that has nothing to do with why he hasnt gotten closer to Max I think. So I would put it down to not being able to adapt his driving style in the short time he was given.
I am not sure he has finished in F1 yet. Yes it was time to move him out of that seat, for both parties, but he could well reappear in another team, even possibly back in his old team

Scorpaguy

Big Tea wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 18:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I am not sure he has finished in F1 yet. Yes it was time to move him out of that seat, for both parties, but he could well reappear in another team, even possibly back in his old team
I assume Checo's first 3 or 4 races will decide Alb's fate. I am more looking forward to this than any race at the had of the pack (not saying that the RB's will not be towards the front of the pack though). If Checo "hits the ground running" and maintains such pace....Alb's rep is likely forever tarnished. If on the other hand Checo is left in dust/tatters by a certain, unnamed Dutchman...Alb could surface again. Curious...what if Checo's results are sub-Alb 2020...how long does he get to keep the seat?

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 21:56
Big Tea wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 18:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I assume Checo's first 3 or 4 races will decide Alb's fate. I am more looking forward to this than any race at the had of the pack (not saying that the RB's will not be towards the front of the pack though). If Checo "hits the ground running" and maintains such pace....Alb's rep is likely forever tarnished. If on the other hand Checo is left in dust/tatters by a certain, unnamed Dutchman...Alb could surface again. Curious...what if Checo's results are sub-Alb 2020...how long does he get to keep the seat?
There could also be a seat mid season at Haas, depending on media reaction to how a driver behaves, and possibly covid cover at other teams.

coaster

There could also be a seat mid season at Haas, depending on media reaction to how a driver behaves, and possibly covid cover at other teams.
I would love to beleive its true, but Horner admitted a major driver shortage at Redbull which will probably see AA on the pitwall for sometime much like Ocon was.