On this day 5 years ago: The tragedy of Fernando Alonso's radio outburst in Honda's home race at Suzuka Circuit

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
coaster

Re: On this day 5 years ago: The tragedy of Fernando Alonso's radio outburst in Honda's home race at Suzuka Circuit

LH and Fonz were incompatible team mates at Mclaren, I'm certain LH ruled the possibilty given he is self managed, a simple 'no' said to Wolf would be enough to block the return.

NathanOlder

Re: On this day 5 years ago: The tragedy of Fernando Alonso's radio outburst in Honda's home race at Suzuka Circuit

coaster wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 16:15
LH and Fonz were incompatible team mates at Mclaren, I'm certain LH ruled the possibilty given he is self managed, a simple 'no' said to Wolf would be enough to block the return.
On the flip side you could easily say Mercedes-Benz offered a contract to Fernando but he turned it down because Lewis was in the other car.

Both scenarios are as crazy as each other in my opinion.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

tangodjango

JordanMugen wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 15:40
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:31
Have Mercedes ever tried to sign Alonso since he left Mclaren-Mercedes in 2007 ? Did they consider him when they were looking at Lewis in 2012 ?
Apparently not: not for 2013, not for 2017, not for 2019, not for 2020, and not for 2021, with Alonso finally making a signature for Alpine Formula One Team instead. One presumes Mercedes has avoided Alonso for political reasons, since Alonso's driving talent compared to Bottas is surely without question?

By the same token, some suppose Red Bull Racing have overlooked Alonso due to Alonso's poor relationship with Honda, but I disagree that Honda would have any issue with Alonso. Mercedes on the other hand? They do not seem keen on Alonso at all!
Why would they want to sign Alonso when they have Hamilton?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

NL_Fer

Anybody has some onboards from the overtake, starting from the chicane?

Alonso claimed he was frustrated, because he made a perfect corner exits and those kids (Verstappen & Saintz) were sliding their Torro Rosso’s all over the place, still overtaking him on engine power. But was it a perfect corner exit, or did he hit the inner kerb?

Andres125sx

JordanMugen wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:01
Andres125sx wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 09:00
He´s been in Minardi, McLaren-Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari. He´s repeated with McLaren, and now he´s going to repeat with Renault. Ferrari has always said they were extremelly happy with him. What bridges did he burn exactly? Repeating a lie ad nauseum does not make it true :wink:
McLaren-Mercedes not just McLaren. I believe Mercedes is the main bridge burnt, due to Mercedes being unhappy about Alonso's whistle-blowing and the subsequent 100m GBP fine. Otherwise Alonso+Hamilton would be a fine line-up indeed for Mercedes GP Petronas. :)

Are you really saying Mercedes does not want Alonso because of his McLaren era 14 years back and they would sign him togheter with Hamilton if not?

Sorry but I can´t believe that even if Toto Wolf say it himself

Andres125sx

JordanMugen wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Have Mercedes ever tried to sign Alonso since he left Mclaren-Mercedes in 2007 ? Did they consider him when they were looking at Lewis in 2012 ?
Apparently not: not for 2013, not for 2017, not for 2019, not for 2020, and not for 2021, with Alonso finally making a signature for Alpine Formula One Team instead. One presumes Mercedes has avoided Alonso for political reasons, since Alonso's driving talent compared to Bottas is surely without question?
Ok, it´s just your presumption.

I think it´s pretty obvious no F1 team has any interest in signing two big names toghether. What you say is like saying Ferrari or RBR have vetoed Hamilton becacuse they´ve never tried to sign him. Or same with Mercedes and Max or Lecrerc both vetoed by Mercedes because they´ve never tried to sign them. Do you presume that too? :P

Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 14:09
JordanMugen wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 09:00
He´s been in Minardi, McLaren-Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari. He´s repeated with McLaren, and now he´s going to repeat with Renault. Ferrari has always said they were extremelly happy with him. What bridges did he burn exactly? Repeating a lie ad nauseum does not make it true :wink:
McLaren-Mercedes not just McLaren. I believe Mercedes is the main bridge burnt, due to Mercedes being unhappy about Alonso's whistle-blowing and the subsequent 100m GBP fine. Otherwise Alonso+Hamilton would be a fine line-up indeed for Mercedes GP Petronas. :)

Are you really saying Mercedes does not want Alonso because of his McLaren era 14 years back and they would sign him togheter with Hamilton if not?

It’s Mercedes company policy. If you try to blackmail the company, you never work for them again. That’s why McLaren couldn’t sign a deal with Mercedes when Alonso was under contract. It goes so far that the announcement of the Mercedes deal was communicated right after it was published that Alonso and McLaren were parting ways.

coaster

I could believe that, airline pilots and ship pilots have a code of behaviour where reputation and credibility are paramount.
Fonz may have rocked the boat a bit much for some, not all though, redemption will come at Alpina and close his book on a high note i imagine.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 14:56
Andres125sx wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

It’s Mercedes company policy. If you try to blackmail the company, you never work for them again. That’s why McLaren couldn’t sign a deal with Mercedes when Alonso was under contract. It goes so far that the announcement of the Mercedes deal was communicated right after it was published that Alonso and McLaren were parting ways.
Mecerdes, and Alonso, are not even mentioned in spygate scandal, it was a problem between Mike Coughlan, Nigel Stepney, McLaren and Ferrari, wich resulted in the firing of Coughlan and a fine and suspension of McLaren.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Form ... ontroversy

But you think Alonso is vetoed by Merdeces because of that? :shock: :roll: #-o :lol:

I choose to believe what I´ve been programmed to believe!. I guess you´re one of those who some years back said McLaren would never sign Alonso again, ever. But in 2014 you were forced to modify your assertment, switching McLaren with Mercedes because you thought that was better than accepting your were wrong

Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 12:48
Jolle wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 14:56
Andres125sx wrote:

Mecerdes, and Alonso, are not even mentioned in spygate scandal, it was a problem between Mike Coughlan, Nigel Stepney, McLaren and Ferrari, wich resulted in the firing of Coughlan and a fine and suspension of McLaren.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Form ... ontroversy

But you think Alonso is vetoed by Merdeces because of that? :shock: :roll: #-o :lol:

I choose to believe what I´ve been programmed to believe!. I guess you´re one of those who some years back said McLaren would never sign Alonso again, ever. But in 2014 you were forced to modify your assertment, switching McLaren with Mercedes because you thought that was better than accepting your were wrong
In 2007/2008 McLaren was part of Daimler. They owned 40% of the company (making it the largest shareholder) with plans to expand it to 80%. The Daimler CEO and Haug were on the McLaren board of directors. Alonso was employed trough Stuttgart, not Woking.
That Alonso could return to McLaren was because it wasn’t the same company as it was in 2007.

McLaren 2007 was more Mercedes then Mercedes was Mercedes from 2010-2013 and 2021 onwards.

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 08:53
Sure Jolle, sure
Thats an agreement then ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Andres125sx

Agreement about unfounded presumptions? No, far from that. That scandal should have closed doors for other McLaren-Mercedes agreement, not for Mercedes-Alonso.

It was McLaren who cheated, not Alonso. I think it's a necessary reminder :wink:

Steven
Owner

tangodjango wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 17:51
JordanMugen wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

By the same token, some suppose Red Bull Racing have overlooked Alonso due to Alonso's poor relationship with Honda, but I disagree that Honda would have any issue with Alonso. Mercedes on the other hand? They do not seem keen on Alonso at all!
Why would they want to sign Alonso when they have Hamilton?
That's like asking Ron Dennis why he lined up Senna with Prost.

But I think Hamilton wouldn't be too keen tbh. While they're friendly to each other now, it's something else when you're side by side in a team's garage and trying to beat each other.

Then again, if Merc really wanted to get Alonso, why would they listen to Hamilton anyway?

As for next year, I saw some spinning that Abiteboul would be put aside. I don't think that holds much value, but one never knows. And that's the guy who took Alonso on board at Renault/Alpine...

NL_Fer

Hamilton Alonso would have Toto smash the whole garage.