Honda leaving F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Honda leaving F1.

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:59
jjn9128 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:10
To answer why Renault will be compelled to supply Red Bull and Alpha Tauri under the current allocation if called to do so.
What's the penalty for non-compliance should Renault not wish to supply the units?
That's a very interesting point. Renault could be in a position of power here, because the last thing F1 needs is for them to just walk off as well. They need to be kept happy.

JordanMugen

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 16:01
That's a very interesting point. Renault could be in a position of power here, because the last thing F1 needs is for them to just walk off as well. They need to be kept happy.
If the Alpine cars ran Ferrari power units (and hence Red Bull and AlphaTauri likewise), it would save Renault a bunch of money! :)

Would withdrawing Renault participation really be such a bad idea? :)

Curiously Appendix 9 only allows for "white label/unbranded supply" provision and there is NO conflict-of-interest provision. Therefore, the rules could well still mandate a McLaren-Ferrari combination :o :o :o , albeit the Ferrari units could be badged as something else (with Ferrari's agreement).

nzjrs

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 16:01
JordanMugen wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:59
jjn9128 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 11:10
To answer why Renault will be compelled to supply Red Bull and Alpha Tauri under the current allocation if called to do so.
What's the penalty for non-compliance should Renault not wish to supply the units?
I agree with this. It swings the balance of power away from Mercedes towards Renault.

nzjrs

rogazilla wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:57
Xwang wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:29
the EDGE wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:24
I find this bazar because from the end of 2022 engines were due to be frozen so there will be no real cost other than manufacture & running which I would have thought Red bull & AT would have paid for
Maybe Honda does not see any reason to be in a frozen engine formula when a competitor still has a big advantage and no PU parity has been achieved.
I think this is probably a bigger reason for Honda to leave. Ferrari and Merc uses F1 as marketing but Honda traditionally uses F1 to train their engineers. In a frozen state, there is no more innovation and probably less attractive to Honda even though it would probably cost less. On the other hand, you can say once frozen, if you are not on top, then it is not attractive from a PR perspective either, no reason to keep playing.
I think this is a contributing factor. Not to mention the 'Covid induced' 2020 PU freeze blocked Honda from introducing the culmination of their 2 year PU development plan as the planned mid-season update this season (although as discussed on the Honda PU thread, they probably should have done at the start of the season and taken the chance).

Instead, they had their development path (arguably) more affected than the other PU manufacturers, and in addition by the tightening of regulations again next year without parity - against a background of a Mercedes step up this year.

JordanMugen

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:36
toraabe wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 15:08
The Renault engine is now really good and bullet proof. Not a bad choice to go back
They are very lucky if Renault is compelled to supply them, given the way RBR threw them under the bus last time after their winning partnership came to an end. If I was Renault I'd try and seek any avenue to avoid having to do so.
All Renault power units will be excluded from the World Championship in such a case, as the regulation is very straight-forward and is a fundamental condition in order to enter any power units into the Formula One World Championship.

Sporting Regulations
Appendix 9
b) No power unit may be used in a given Championship season unless the Power Unit Manufacturer
supplying such power unit accepts and adheres to the following conditions.

Each of the Power Unit Manufacturers of an homologated power unit must:
i) provide the FIA, before 15 May (or such other date as agreed in writing between all the
Power Unit Manufacturers and the FIA) of the season preceding that in which such power
units are to be supplied, with the list of teams (clearly identifying the appointed
“works/factory” team, if any) to which a supply agreement has been concluded for the
given Championship season ;
ii) if called upon to do so by the FIA before 1 June (or such other date as agreed in writing
between all the Power Unit Manufacturers and the FIA) of the season preceding that in
which such power units were to be supplied, supply at least a number of teams (“T”) equal
to the following equation:

T = (111-A)/(B-C)
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_0.pdf

JordanMugen

AMG.Tzan wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 14:13
No one knows for how long they are committed to the sport! They've left 3 times now (1992,2008 and 2021) and they always leave without any warning and for no apparent reason!
Four times, 1968 as well.

Air-cooled RA302 was only entered in one Grand Prix

the EDGE

Complete fantasy... but Perhaps a combination of Cosworth & Andy Cowell could by the rights to the PU from Honda and become independent supplier to F1

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 14:44
This was my initial thought. It is a very complicated thing to go about but what about the possibility of someone like Mechachrome to continue engine build with ties to the factory but not costs directly attributed to Honda?

Did they not do that the first time they left F1?
Yes, Mugen accquired the IP to old Honda engine designs last time. Albeit only the V10, I don't believe Mugen ever accquired the IP to the V12.

Honda

Mugen

Obviously, over the years Mugen developed their own V10 designs until such a time that they powered Jordans to the top step of the podium. =D> =D>

hUirEYExbN

tangodjango wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 14:41
El Scorchio wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 14:03
NathanOlder wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 13:22

Yeah, the complexity of these power units is really taking its toll now. A return to some naturally aspirated V10's is in order I believe [-o<
And there's simply no incentive for any new engine supplier to enter the sport. They will have to go through the same very public growing pains and criticism Honda had to and not be competitive for quite some time, and even then probably realise the absolute ceiling is second best in class.

F1 needs to decide what it is, going forward. Certainly the engines need simplification to attract new manufacturers and make it worth their while, or they need a special dispensation to get up to speed. But where is the ROI?
Only way is to force Mercedes to open source last year´s engine design completely. From algorithms to nuts and bolts specifications. It will never happen but that is the only way. The F1 engine program has almost zero relevance to ANY automotive program going forward as we transition from PHEV to EV completely in the next 10-15 years and post that EV combined with Hydrogen fuel cell in some use cases.
I think that would be a sure fire way to say goodbye to Mercedes.

Juzh

El Scorchio wrote:
toraabe wrote:
The Renault engine is now really good and bullet proof. Not a bad choice to go back
They are very lucky if Renault is compelled to supply them, given the way RBR threw them under the bus last time after their winning partnership came to an end. If I was Renault I'd try and seek any avenue to avoid having to do so.
Great, down to 16 cars it is. Another 10 years of unchallenged mercedes victories. Great success for entire F1 circus.
We salute this genius man.

Zynerji

Why wouldn't RBT just buy the Honda IP, and have them built/developed in house or by Illmore or Cosworth?

Schippke

Sadder still to come out of all this; Arguably the best sounding Power Unit will be leaving the field at the end of 2021. :cry:

The sound at low revs (I'm guessing because of cylinder deactivation?) sounds raspy and raw; Loved it! I know it has changed somewhat compared to recent times, but at least the Honda has some distinction about it, compared to the other 3 manufactures.

JordanMugen

Zynerji wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 17:43
Why wouldn't RBT just buy the Honda IP, and have them built/developed in house or by Illmore or Cosworth?
Because the IP contains Honda commercial and technical secrets. The IP may flow to Mugen but likely not further than that...

El Scorchio

Juzh wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 17:24
El Scorchio wrote:
toraabe wrote:
Great, down to 16 cars it is. Another 10 years of unchallenged mercedes victories. Great success for entire F1 circus.
We salute this genius man.
Well, ask this. If you were Renault would you ever want to work with Red Bull again after the completely hostile and unprofessional way they publicly behaved toward them before they parted ways?

Sure it would be bad for the sport as a whole if they tried to refuse but I wouldn't blame them in the slightest.

RS200E

The power of Red Bull Powertrains!