Your first-ever Formula One grand prix to watch on Television was?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3

Your first-ever Formula One grand prix to watch on Television was?

https://archive.org/download/overtakefa ... d.Prix.mp4

For me: 2001 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka on my local Indonesian television channel RCTI (i was watched on my uncle's house that time + 2001 Japanese Grand Prix was live coverage)

How about yours?

zeph

Re: Your first-ever Formula One grand prix to watch on Television was?

Dutch GP 1982, yes I’m that old

NathanOlder

I dont think its the first race I saw on Tv, but the first one I can remember is 1991 Canadian Grand Prix. I was 6yrs old, but I remember my Dad shouting when Mansell stopped :lol: As both my parents watched F1 , I probably saw some of the 1985 season as a baby, I just dont remember it :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

I remember watching Mansell's tyre explode in 1986 in Adelaide. I'm guessing that season might have been my first but I can't remember the first race I watched on TV. It would probably have been something late 70s / early 80s and probably Silverstone as that was the one that UK TV tended to show.

My JFK moment is definitely Senna at Imola in 94. I can still remember the empty feeling having watched the man die in front of our eyes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

notsofast

The first one I still remember is the 1976 German Grand Prix. (Yes, that one.) The first GP I saw on TV must have been a few years before that.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 12:38
I remember watching Mansell's tyre explode in 1986 in Adelaide. I'm guessing that season might have been my first but I can't remember the first race I watched on TV. It would probably have been something late 70s / early 80s and probably Silverstone as that was the one that UK TV tended to show.

My JFK moment is definitely Senna at Imola in 94. I can still remember the empty feeling having watched the man die in front of our eyes.
Yeah , I can picture where I was sitting, where my Parents where ect. Its burned into my mind forever.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

I don't remember, but everyone had a black and white car so it was hard to tell them apart
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Baulz

I remember watching Villeneuve win the title in 1997 but am sure I had been watching since 1996.

Scorpaguy

The 1978 Italian Grand Prix, Mario won the Title (but not the race)...been watching ever since.

Stu

The first one that I remember seeing on TV is the 1981 British GP, however I do have some recollection of the Williams FW07 (Alan Jones/Clay Regazzoni) at the British GP a couple of years before. FW07 is still one of my all-time favourites. I can also recall glimpses of JPS Lotus (the 79) from 1978.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

strad

you all are very young. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

strad wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 20:42
...and the television console that I was watching on was 4 ft. wide, but had only a 13" screen :D

BTW, they raced cars back then.

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 21:01
strad wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 20:42
...and the television console that I was watching on was 4 ft. wide, but had only a 13" screen :D

BTW, they raced cars back then.
Raymond Barrett? the guy from tomorrows world?

Tommy Cookers

Raymond Baxter

I first remember RB's broadcast of the (1960) Belgian GP starting with the 2 bad crashes (British drivers) in practice
(and 2 crashed fatally in the race)

then at the French GP RB showed us Chapman delaying the starter (a works Lotus was being rewelded on the grid)

Wiki tells us that the 1960 Belgian GP was 36 laps 316 miles (not the usual 24 laps) .... and that ....
Graham Hill retired his BRM in the pits after 35 laps - had he pushed over the line he would have been classified 3rd

Big Tea

Tommy Cookers wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 21:48
Raymond Baxter

I first remember RB's broadcast of the (1960) Belgian GP starting with the 2 bad crashes (British drivers) in practice
(and 2 crashed fatally in the race)

then at the French GP RB showed us Chapman delaying the starter (a works Lotus was being rewelded on the grid)

Wiki tells us that the 1960 Belgian GP was 36 laps 316 miles (not the usual 24 laps) .... and that ....
Graham Hill retired his BRM in the pits after 35 laps - had he pushed over the line he would have been classified 3rd
That's the guy, couldn't remember his name.
From what I recall it was mostly watching trees or the same stretch over and over. Still more than we saw at the track though