Vettel's 4 vs Hamilton's 6.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Vettel's 4 vs Hamilton's 6.

LM10 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 23:57

After all, it’s one of those never-ending battles of fans of particular drivers and at the end not a single person will have been convinced to change his/her opinion, yet that’s what they try to achieve on each other.
It keeps them off the streets so there is some good in it. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

LM10 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 21:05
Ooof, just as the fire here was dying down, we are #blessed to have PZ throw some more wood on it.
This thread is a typical off-season one. 25 pages and I still have not seen a clear point in it.
After all, it’s one of those never-ending battles of fans of particular drivers and at the end not a single person will have been convinced to change his/her opinion, yet that’s what they try to achieve on each other.
Lol I remember sayinf that early on. I don’t understand why peoples’ enjoyment of a sport revolves on being vindicated by others
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

prince
prince

LM10 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 21:05
Ooof, just as the fire here was dying down, we are #blessed to have PZ throw some more wood on it.
This thread is a typical off-season one. 25 pages and I still have not seen a clear point in it.
There is a nice article here regarding the online behavior of people.

"Is arguing online actually good for your mental health?"
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/ob ... tal-health

While the articles tries to position itself in a balance of good and bad, but the reality is, it tries to create an awareness towards negative impacts on mental health.
Mixed emotions
Whether arguing online affects us for better or for worse – it does affect us. Sixty per cent of us feel a racing heart and a rush of adrenaline when arguing online, and fifty percent of respondents claimed that they become “somewhat” emotionally involved in their arguments. In fact, only 4.6 per cent of people claimed to be “not at all” emotionally involved in the arguments they have on the internet.

But what are we feeling? The most common emotional reaction is frustration, with 27.5 per cent of people claiming they felt this when arguing online and a further 18 per cent saying they felt sad when people misconstrued their words and meaning. “Unfortunately the written word can often fail to portray the exact message, thoughts, humour or emotions of the user,” says Branley. “Without facial expressions and body language to aid our understanding, it is all too easy for written words to be misconstrued.”

The second most common emotional reaction (surprise, surprise, it’s not surprise) was anger, at 13.5 per cent. Only 1.6 per cent of people felt pride and 5.7 per cent felt excitement, so it’s clear we don’t get into arguments for a little happiness boost.

This snippet from the article, is something that probably applies on this forum.
“I regularly get into confrontations and arguments online on Facebook & Twitter. They often leave me feeling fatigued, anxious and annoyed at myself for getting involved,” wrote one anonymous respondent. “However I often feel myself ‘compelled’ to get into a spat, and I do feel a rush from it. Even waiting for a response gives me ‘a buzz’ of anticipation.”
The urge to force others change their opinion via these arguments can have serious negative consequences on people's mental health.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 20:21
I dont like the title of this topic because it attempts to compare and assumes that 1 title of Vettel values the same as 1.5 titles from Lewis wen it is nothing close to being so!

Oh absolutely, couldn't agree more, glad someone pointed this out, wow, what sage insight and wisdom.

It's surely 1 of Vettel's to 3 of Hamilton's.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

prince wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 08:34

The urge to force others change their opinion via these arguments can have serious negative consequences on people's mental health.
Interesting that the suggestion is that people are trying to change others' minds in these discussions. Usually, what happens is someone will post something that is a misrepresentation if not straight up incorrect. Someone else attempts to post the correct information and then gets bombarded for arguing/being a fan boy. It's interesting that the accusations of being a fan boy generally only get aimed at fans of certain drivers. When others do the same for a different driver, there is no such accusation. Which suggests the real issue is with those who would promulgate those apparent misrepresentations and cry foul when brought to book.

prince
prince

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 11:17
Usually, what happens is someone will post something that is a misrepresentation if not straight up incorrect. Someone else attempts to post the correct information and then gets bombarded for arguing/being a fan boy.
I wouldn't be too bothered if someone is posting something that is a misrepresentation! It happens on every forum, Facebook, Twitter etc., What am I going to gain trying to correct that information, which is the first step of getting into an argument? There are over 50 thousand members here? May be more, may be a little less. At least a few hundred highly active? If it makes someone happy to post something wrong, so be it. But that's just me. The only annoyance is to see the same content over and over again, but I can't help it.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Usually what happens is that one very vocal group of people on this board is so emotionally engaged with one particular driver, that they feel the need to completely overstate said drivers achievements and jump on any contrary opinion, calling people "haters" for disagreeing with driver x being a flawless demigod in all imaginable aspects. It's getting so ridiculous that said people are even calling for driver x to become manager of MB, president of the USA and similar preposterous things. I don’t understand what these people gain from this, but it's very irritating to me anyone else, who is a fan of the sport as a whole and not in love with one particular driver.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

prince wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 12:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 11:17
Usually, what happens is someone will post something that is a misrepresentation if not straight up incorrect. Someone else attempts to post the correct information and then gets bombarded for arguing/being a fan boy.
I wouldn't be too bothered if someone is posting something that is a misrepresentation! It happens on every forum, Facebook, Twitter etc.,
It does happen all over the internet and look where it has got us. We have masses of people believing total rubbish because they've read it on Facebook, Twitter, some forum or other. Now I'm not suggesting that F1 is anywhere near as important as vaccine misinformation or election fraud misinformation or any other of the serious issues that are pushed, but it's something that shouldn't be just accepted. Misinformation is misinformation.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 13:14
Usually what happens is that one very vocal group of people on this board is so emotionally engaged with one particular driver, that they feel the need to completely overstate said drivers achievements and jump on any contrary opinion, calling people "haters" for disagreeing with driver x being a flawless demigod in all imaginable aspects. It's getting so ridiculous that said people are even calling for driver x to become manager of MB, president of the USA and similar preposterous things. I don’t understand what these people gain from this, but it's very irritating to me anyone else, who is a fan of the sport as a whole and not in love with one particular driver.
What usually happens is that a few people specifically set out to downplay certain drivers that they dislike, even going so far as to call other drivers "the worst driver ever" in order to push their agenda. :wink: See how it goes both ways? :lol:

As to people suggesting that drivers become the head of companies or countries, well that is a bit silly. Of course, there isn't a current driver who could legally become the President of the USA, so that idea is dead before it starts. :lol:

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 14:18
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
What usually happens is that a few people specifically set out to downplay certain drivers that they dislike, even going so far as to call other drivers "the worst driver ever" in order to push their agenda. :wink: See how it goes both ways? :lol:

As to people suggesting that drivers become the head of companies or countries, well that is a bit silly. Of course, there isn't a current driver who could legally become the President of the USA, so that idea is dead before it starts. :lol:
Can you explain this "agenda" you keep refering to, please? I dont understand. Thanks.

El Scorchio

There has been an amount of trolling and baiting in the last year or so, aimed mainly to provoke fans of a certain driver, who when responding to said bait then get drawn into arguments, and it all snowballs into a silly back and forth of hyperbole with loss of objectivity, where silly claims are responded to by counter claims and then the mods usually have to step in.

It seems to have calmed down somewhat now in general, which is good. This particular thread was started sensibly, earnestly and honestly in good faith but has definitely got waylaid at times.

El Scorchio

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 14:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

Can you explain this "agenda" you keep refering to, please? I dont understand. Thanks.
I think you fully understand it.

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 14:35
There has been an amount of trolling and baiting in the last year or so, aimed mainly to provoke fans of a certain driver, who when responding to said bait then get drawn into arguments, and it all snowballs into a silly back and forth of hyperbole with loss of objectivity, where silly claims are responded to by counter claims and then the mods usually have to step in.

It seems to have calmed down somewhat now in general, which is good.
The only reason it has quieted down, is because the moderators have stepped in an obviously banned several users for not being able to keep their angst and hostility toward one driver, or fans of said driver under control.
197 104 103 7

prince
prince

This thread is back to square. :lol:

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
Honestly, I'm shocked how far some people have taken their hate for hamilton or his fans. Most of the hate for Hamilton isn't even aimed at his driving accomplishments. In 2020 alone, we have seen classism, xenophobia, and strait up unadulterated racism. The later lead to a slew of bannings this year.

Run of the mill anti Hamilton posters, are the small fish of F1T. They hardly rate and are easy to spot. All you have to do is spend about 20 seconds looking at their posting history.
197 104 103 7