Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

adrianjordan wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 08:28
Ringleheim wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 23:26
To answer the question posed in the thread title, yes, the 2021 season will be impacted by COVID.

The entire world, in all aspects, will be impacted by COVID this year.

Things won't get back to normal this year.
Honestly, I don't think we'll even be fully back to normal in 2022 either.
I think Covid will become the new normal, being a virus that is seasonally vaccinated for just as with seasonal 'flu before Covid. So people will get a shot for Covid and seasonal 'flu each year.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 10:01
adrianjordan wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 23:26
To answer the question posed in the thread title, yes, the 2021 season will be impacted by COVID.

The entire world, in all aspects, will be impacted by COVID this year.

Things won't get back to normal this year.
I think Covid will become the new normal, being a virus that is seasonally vaccinated for just as with seasonal 'flu before Covid. So people will get a shot for Covid and seasonal 'flu each year.
I read somewhere (sorry, don't recall) the next gen vax will be a combined Covid boost and Flu jab combined. (Possibly with something else, was it Vit D? as a yearly winter dose)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 12:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I read somewhere (sorry, don't recall) the next gen vax will be a combined Covid boost and Flu jab combined. (Possibly with something else, was it Vit D? as a yearly winter dose)
Does it come with a glacier cherry & a mini umbrella 🍹

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Would make sense to have a combined annual jab for those likely to be at risk of severe symptoms from such illnesses. It's done routinely for childhood vaccines to good effect, of course.

I have now reached the age where routine seasonal flu jabs are offered free of charge on the NHS. I haven't availed myself of it this year (my first chance) but perhaps I will in future when the NHS isn't run off its feet with Covid.

henry

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 13:22
Big Tea wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Would make sense to have a combined annual jab for those likely to be at risk of severe symptoms from such illnesses. It's done routinely for childhood vaccines to good effect, of course.

I have now reached the age where routine seasonal flu jabs are offered free of charge on the NHS. I haven't availed myself of it this year (my first chance) but perhaps I will in future when the NHS isn't run off its feet with Covid.
I don’t think we know what cohort is at most risk from this disease long term. Current focus is on the extremely serious consequences resulting in hospitalisation. But as mentioned earlier in this thread the ONS is studying longer term effects which may affect the quality of life of other groups than those currently being vaccinated. In the adult population under retirement age, 25-70, around 1 in 8 of those testing positive are still experiencing symptoms after 12 weeks. If these are severe enough to affect work performance it may be necessary to vaccinate that group as well as those identified as more seriously at risk.

As you said earlier it’s unlikely to go away. In comparison with Flu we may need to take extra precautions to live with it. As well as vaccination wearing a mask when you have symptoms of a respiratory disease may become as normal as putting a plaster on a cut.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

henry wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 14:02

I don’t think we know what cohort is at most risk from this disease long term. Current focus is on the extremely serious consequences resulting in hospitalisation. But as mentioned earlier in this thread the ONS is studying longer term effects which may affect the quality of life of other groups than those currently being vaccinated. In the adult population under retirement age, 25-70, around 1 in 8 of those testing positive are still experiencing symptoms after 12 weeks. If these are severe enough to affect work performance it may be necessary to vaccinate that group as well as those identified as more seriously at risk.
It will be interesting to see, assuming studies are carried out, whether those susceptible to "long Covid" have genetic or other conditions that predispose them to problems. If that is the case, those people could be included in the free annual jab category.

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 16:23
If that is the case, those people could be included in the free annual jab category.
Won't it just be free for everyone? It's better for herd immunity that way, and isn't that one of the points of the NHS?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 16:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
If that is the case, those people could be included in the free annual jab category.
Won't it just be free for everyone? It's better for herd immunity that way, and isn't that one of the points of the NHS?
I won't hold my breath. After the Govt gets the final bill through for Covid, I wouldn't be surprised to see some free stuff becoming chargeable. I have a regular prescription. I have to pay for it each time because I am not a recipient of a qualifying benefit e.g. a pension. So not everything is free on the NHS.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 17:21
nzjrs wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 16:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
I won't hold my breath. After the Govt gets the final bill through for Covid, I wouldn't be surprised to see some free stuff becoming chargeable. I have a regular prescription. I have to pay for it each time because I am not a recipient of a qualifying benefit e.g. a pension. So not everything is free on the NHS.
I think it would be political suicide to charge people for a COVID jab.(As well as the scientific herd immunity argument) I'm sure this or any government would need to keep them free or risk being unelectable.

*Sorry- may be straying too far into politics here. If this should be deleted then feel free mods. :)

henry

Just_a_fan wrote:

It will be interesting to see, assuming studies are carried out, whether those susceptible to "long Covid" have genetic or other conditions that predispose them to problems. If that is the case, those people could be included in the free annual jab category.
It would be a large task to screen half the population, genetically or otherwise. But I guess the costs of that or of universal vaccination would need to be balanced against the direct and indirect costs of chronic illness in the population.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

hollus

Let’s not go into how best to deal with it as societies, please. That way lie dragons and politics.
Rivals, not enemies.

JordanMugen

hollus wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 22:26
Let’s not go into how best to deal with it as societies, please. That way lie dragons and politics.
Given UK has introduced 10 days supervised quarantine from 33 countries (including Portugal and presumably most EU countries will be added as the South Africa variant spreads), Scotland has introduced a more extensive requirement for ALL international arrivals to complete supervised quarantine, Ireland are requiring 14 days supervised quarantine, and presumably reciprocal arrangements of hotel quarantine will be introduced between all of the European & Middle Eastern countries, will it be possible for F1 to proceed with a season when 10-21 days supervised hotel quarantine are required at every single country?

We note some Australian Open players complaining about doing hotel quarantine, even though it is standard COVID practice. :wtf:

One notes that the 6 of 20 Formula One drivers confirmed as having caught COVID19 is FAR above the general world population rate, suggesting F1 personnel travelling around the world has greatly, greatly increased their risk of catching and thus spreading COVID (and thus the virus having more generations to mutate too). :o :shock: Despite FOM's best efforts to operate a COVID-safe sport, the increased COVID risk posed by excessive travel between countries is one they cannot mitigate -- as seen by that high 30% infection rate of Formula One drivers, compared to a global rate of 1.4% (or even say 5% if global cases are underreported due to lack of tests).

Wouter

Nice read about how Civid 19 impact the teams/people based outside the UK.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... n=widget-1

A dozen staff members [from Honda] have been obliged to stay in Italy for several weeks to oversee Yuki Tsunoda's 2018 car testing programme, along with the fire-up and shakedown of the team's [SAT] 2021 model.

"The poor guys came out here around January 11th," says AlphaTauri sporting director Graham Watson. "And they've been out ever since, and they're staying out here until after a test on February 23-25 at Imola. So for them, that's had a huge impact.

"I know that Tanabe-san at Honda was a little bit nervous about asking his people, 'By the way, you need to go out and support AlphaTauri and you're going to be gone for six weeks!'

"For the Japanese guys, I don't think it's a huge problem, because most of them are living on their own in Milton Keynes. But for the UK guys who have families, it's a little bit more of an ask.

"And then on top of that, some of them are going to go directly from here to Bahrain, although most are going back to the UK.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 02:22

One notes that the 6 of 20 Formula One drivers confirmed as having caught COVID19 is FAR above the general world population rate, suggesting F1 personnel travelling around the world has greatly, greatly increased their risk of catching and thus spreading COVID (and thus the virus having more generations to mutate too). :o :shock: Despite FOM's best efforts to operate a COVID-safe sport, the increased COVID risk posed by excessive travel between countries is one they cannot mitigate -- as seen by that high 30% infection rate of Formula One drivers, compared to a global rate of 1.4% (or even say 5% if global cases are underreported due to lack of tests).
UK Government reckons at least 1 in 3 has asymptomatic COVID. If that's the case, with F1 testing everyone on a constant rolling basis, the fact that low total numbers in F1 tested as positive is actually showing that the FIA has got it right. Bear in mind that the drivers are the most exposed people in F1 being required to do media, PR, and other stuff every weekend mixing with all and sundry, even if it is done with "social distancing". Add in that the drivers are generally young and that group isn't known for always being sensible and it's no surprise that drivers have caught it. Of the 6 drivers, 3 caught it during the season itself. The other 3 caught it out of season when they may have been tempted to let their guards down a bit.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 16:27
JordanMugen wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 02:22

UK Government reckons at least 1 in 3 has asymptomatic COVID. If that's the case, with F1 testing everyone on a constant rolling basis, the fact that low total numbers in F1 tested as positive is actually showing that the FIA has got it right. Bear in mind that the drivers are the most exposed people in F1 being required to do media, PR, and other stuff every weekend mixing with all and sundry, even if it is done with "social distancing". Add in that the drivers are generally young and that group isn't known for always being sensible and it's no surprise that drivers have caught it. Of the 6 drivers, 3 caught it during the season itself. The other 3 caught it out of season when they may have been tempted to let their guards down a bit.
That's 1 in 3 people who have Covid are asymptomatic, not 1 in 3 people in general population have asymptomatic Covid.

TBF though, you have to look at the whole paddock, not just the drivers. But being tested more often AND being high profile means that any who do get it are more visible.

I'd also argue that the F1 bubble is a close nit community and so if one person does contract it then there is a higher risk of it spreading within the bubble. What is most relevant is whether there are any cases outside the bubble linked back to F1 staff within that bubble. That's what really matters in this instance. If F1 can say, yes we've had cases inside our personnel, but been able to successfully avoid transmission outside the bubble, then that would show that they're still safe to travel around.

Also of the F1 drivers to have it, Checo caught it after breaking social distancing rules back in Brazil and any who caught it during off season were just as at risk as anyone else.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️