Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Jolle wrote:
06 May 2021, 23:54
Racer X wrote:
06 May 2021, 22:50
Jolle wrote:
06 May 2021, 21:00

I think so to, Perez looks really like a deal to bring some peace into the development program. The promotion after one year of AT/STR went wrong too many times. Probably less to do with the car, more the pace and pressure of the big team.
Yeah the experience that is making Perez successful is what they need to give to the Academy drivers like how Ricc properly developed. you cant always rush things Max/Vettel special cases. But you wont get that every time.
Even Vettel and Verstappen had two full pre-seasons with STR before they were introduced into RedBull. Kvyat, Gasly and Albon only one.
Vettel and Max did 1.5?🤔

PlatinumZealot

Pyrone89 wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 May 2021, 16:03
Pyrone89 wrote:
03 May 2021, 22:31
Every F1 fan's dream:

Hamilton and Verstappen at Mercedes. Finally completely same cars, FIGHT!
Don't really need to see this, to be honest. We already have Max in a superior car now, and we have seen them battle on track. Nothing else to see. I am bored, in fact. I expected a nastier fight.
Because the W12, after ironing out it's initial balance issue, is now again the best car (like the Merc has had the past 7 years over the length of the season), there is only one way to have a fair 1 vs 1 and that is to give them both the exact same car. Wether that is a Merc, RBR or Williams.
I have no desire to see Lewis and Max in the same car. Nothing to prove. Lewis had done enough in his era. He deserves to bow out peacefully and on his terms. (No Max in Mecedes).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hUirEYExbN

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 16:08
Pyrone89 wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 May 2021, 16:03

Don't really need to see this, to be honest. We already have Max in a superior car now, and we have seen them battle on track. Nothing else to see. I am bored, in fact. I expected a nastier fight.
Because the W12, after ironing out it's initial balance issue, is now again the best car (like the Merc has had the past 7 years over the length of the season), there is only one way to have a fair 1 vs 1 and that is to give them both the exact same car. Wether that is a Merc, RBR or Williams.
I have no desire to see Lewis and Max in the same car. Nothing to prove. Lewis had done enough in his era. He deserves to bow out peacefully and on his terms. (No Max in Mecedes).
It would be thrilling though, for us all no doubt.

I think Hamilton would not object to it in the least, in fact I'm quite certain he'd relish the challenge. If he gets beat, it's just the natural progression of talent in a highly competitive sport. If he wins he ends his career by beating the purported heir to his position.

El Scorchio

For me, Verstappen Leclerc is what I'm really looking forward to in the coming years. That one could last for ten years, both are fabulous drivers, and I don't think there's a particular amount of love there.

Jolle

El Scorchio wrote:
10 May 2021, 18:02
For me, Verstappen Leclerc is what I'm really looking forward to in the coming years. That one could last for ten years, both are fabulous drivers, and I don't think there's a particular amount of love there.
Don’t forget someone like Russell in the mix. Three very different characters with different points they focus their first frustration towards.

PlatinumZealot

hUirEYExbN wrote:
10 May 2021, 17:29

I think Hamilton would not object to it in the least, in fact I'm quite certain he'd relish the challenge. If he gets beat, it's just the natural progression of talent in a highly competitive sport. If he wins he ends his career by beating the purported heir to his position.
It's like Rosberg versus Schumacher or Ocon vs Alonso nothing too thrilling imo. Like an executive of the sport, Lewis deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hUirEYExbN

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 21:36
hUirEYExbN wrote:

It's like Rosberg versus Schumacher or Ocon vs Alonso nothing too thrilling imo. Like an executive of the sport, Lewis deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top.
Rosberg vs. a past his prime Schumacher and a driver pairing of a probably past his prime Alonso and a driver who never rated that highly, not to mention a pairing that is 4 races old. Neither of them are exactly akin to what Hamilton vs. Verstappen would likely be.

I'm thinking more Senna vs. Prost, Mansell vs. Piquet and yes Hamilton vs. Alonso. Solid line-ups and pretty exciting, if not always for the team and drivers in question.

As for "deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top" that's just silly. That's like putting him out to pasture, giving him a lifetime achievement award or an honorary degree, hardly fitting final years to a fantastic career.

El Scorchio

Jolle wrote:
10 May 2021, 18:44
El Scorchio wrote:
Don’t forget someone like Russell in the mix. Three very different characters with different points they focus their first frustration towards.
Very true. I can see them all leading the ‘big’ teams- I mean two of them already are. Tempted to throw Lando into the mix at McLaren as well. How good would that be?

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
3 very aggressive drivers too. There will be plenty of contact between these 3 there is no doubt. Russell in his F2 winning season was super aggressive with his overtakes, thats what Lando lacked and probably cost him a real go at the title.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
11 May 2021, 00:20
Jolle wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
3 very aggressive drivers too. There will be plenty of contact between these 3 there is no doubt. Russell in his F2 winning season was super aggressive with his overtakes, thats what Lando lacked and probably cost him a real go at the title.
This aggression is also what sets them and other greats apart. Senna, Mansell, Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton. The last two can switch it off when they need to. Lando feels to me more like a Button, Webber kinda driver.

PlatinumZealot

hUirEYExbN wrote:
10 May 2021, 22:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
hUirEYExbN wrote:

Rosberg vs. a past his prime Schumacher and a driver pairing of a probably past his prime Alonso and a driver who never rated that highly, not to mention a pairing that is 4 races old. Neither of them are exactly akin to what Hamilton vs. Verstappen would likely be.

I'm thinking more Senna vs. Prost, Mansell vs. Piquet and yes Hamilton vs. Alonso. Solid line-ups and pretty exciting, if not always for the team and drivers in question.

As for "deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top" that's just silly. That's like putting him out to pasture, giving him a lifetime achievement award or an honorary degree, hardly fitting final years to a fantastic career.
I dont get why is there to gain in Max going against an old boy like Lewis? As is said its like Rosberg vs MSC.. Or Ocon Vs Alonso.. Nothing to gain really. The old boys have well and passed their prime.

Put out to pasture you say? What is wrong with that? Must he face every young hot-shot till pay drivers are beating him day in day out like Vettel right now?

Lewis is basically over the hill. Max is actually fighting a weakend Lewis right now. He did many wars already and has only enough in the tank for maybe two seasons? 8 WDC is alot of work the man deserves a break in probably two more dominant cars to cruise out at the top.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hUirEYExbN

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 May 2021, 00:54
hUirEYExbN wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I dont get why is there to gain in Max going against an old boy like Lewis? As is said its like Rosberg vs MSC.. Or Ocon Vs Alonso.. Nothing to gain really. The old boys have well and passed their prime.

Put out to pasture you say? What is wrong with that? Must he face every young hot-shot till pay drivers are beating him day in day out like Vettel right now?

Lewis is basically over the hill. Max is actually fighting a weakend Lewis right now. He did many wars already and has only enough in the tank for maybe two seasons? 8 WDC is alot of work the man deserves a break in probably two more dominant cars to cruise out at the top.
You don't get it, that's fine. I do, I would very much like to see an ageing Lewis and a still young Max fight it out in equal machinery before the ageing one retires. If one is rising and one is falling they may be pretty close to equal.That promises a couple of seasons of intense drama on and off the track and the chance to actually see the transfer of power (if Max is indeed all he promises to be).

I never said he had to face every youthful talent out there, he can retire or take the position of elder statesman in a different team. However, if he's in the top team and if he gets paid the top money, he shouldn't be surprised that the up and coming talent want to challenge him head on. It's a shame we've not got to see that.

You keep using the word "deserve", he deserves nothing. He's got to where he is by his wits and talent and gets paid to do what he does. He didn't drive his teams to 7 WDCs out of the goodness of his heart. Deserve doesn't come into it. He seems like the sort of person who would be annoyed if he was handed titles because someone thinks he deserves them. He would relish the challenge, I believe anyway.

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
hUirEYExbN wrote:

Just racking up easy records to prove he's the GOAT?

That's gross from a sporting standpoint, almost WWE-like...

MKlaus

Zynerji wrote:
11 May 2021, 04:32
PlatinumZealot wrote:
hUirEYExbN wrote:

Just racking up easy records to prove he's the GOAT?

That's gross from a sporting standpoint, almost WWE-like...
i had told this sometime back. some lewis fans dread a highly competitive driver alongside him at mercedes as it might stop his unchallenged run and the satisfaction that they see him crossing the line at the front disappear. then it would open up the non-lewis fans to go after his records, which would become a pain for them to defend (as if his greatness diminishes), instead of gloating how great he is. so that is why, "lewis deserves" his time cruising untroubled. like federer deserved, but didn't as it isn't a machinery dependent sport. :)

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 May 2021, 00:54
hUirEYExbN wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

to some, Lewis hasn't proved himself until he beats every driver in the same car (which obviously is not possible) So if he retires without facing everyone , he hasn't proved himself. If he stays too long and loses as he's well past him best then they will say he was never that good anyway. He can't win as some won't ever accept it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC