Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

MKlaus wrote:
11 May 2021, 08:19
Zynerji wrote:
11 May 2021, 04:32
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 21:36

It's like Rosberg versus Schumacher or Ocon vs Alonso nothing too thrilling imo. Like an executive of the sport, Lewis deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top.
Just racking up easy records to prove he's the GOAT?

That's gross from a sporting standpoint, almost WWE-like...
i had told this sometime back. some lewis fans dread a highly competitive driver alongside him at mercedes
I don't know any and I don't think there are any here. We all want George in the car next to him in 2022, It will be handing over the baton to the next British ruler. I don't know how long Lewis can keep this level up so he will fall eventually. He will be 37 when the next season comes around , remembering the great Michael Schumacher won his last title at 35.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
11 May 2021, 09:17
MKlaus wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

i had told this sometime back. some lewis fans dread a highly competitive driver alongside him at mercedes
I don't know any and I don't think there are any here. We all want George in the car next to him in 2022, It will be handing over the baton to the next British ruler. I don't know how long Lewis can keep this level up so he will fall eventually. He will be 37 when the next season comes around , remembering the great Michael Schumacher won his last title at 35.
Schumacher was kinda forced out. We’ve seen in the past that you can stay relevant in your late thirties and even early forties with the right training and diet. He’s super fit and still looks as hungry as he was at 22.

MKlaus
MKlaus

NathanOlder wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

you have right above in that post, a guy who is a pronounced lewis fan and he makes such statements and you conveniently come and claim "there is no one here". it would be wise to speak for yourself. nobody cares if the next one is a british ruler, who you people are obsessed with such a colonial mindset. the world has moved forward and it's time for you too. f1 fans love a good contest in equal machinery.
but hey, i enjoyed the latest saga though of the "british royals". far more entertaining than f1. :lol:

NathanOlder

MKlaus wrote:
11 May 2021, 10:55
NathanOlder wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
you have right above in that post, a guy who is a pronounced lewis fan and he makes such statements and you conveniently come and claim "there is no one here". it would be wise to speak for yourself. nobody cares if the next one is a british ruler, who you people are obsessed with such a colonial mindset. the world has moved forward and it's time for you too. but hey, i enjoyed the latest saga though of the "british royals". for more entertaining than f1. :lol:
No, I fully support my fellow Brits first. I follow Formula 1 like football fans follow their country in world cups. Im fortunate that my country is well represented in a sport I love. I understand I would have a different mind set if I was born in say, Turkey as they haven't currently got any race drivers in F1 or teams. Britain have had more multiple world champions than most countries have had F1 drivers. Has there ever been a race without a British driver on the grid ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MKlaus wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 21:36

It's like Rosberg versus Schumacher or Ocon vs Alonso nothing too thrilling imo. Like an executive of the sport, Lewis deserves his time just crusing untroubled at the top.

i had told this sometime back. some lewis fans dread a highly competitive driver alongside him at mercedes as it might stop his unchallenged run and the satisfaction that they see him crossing the line at the front disappear. then it would open up the non-lewis fans to go after his records, which would become a pain for them to defend (as if his greatness diminishes), instead of gloating how great he is. so that is why, "lewis deserves" his time cruising untroubled. like federer deserved, but didn't as it isn't a machinery dependent sport. :)
Some fans might want him to be unchallenged, but I for one really enjoyed the race on Sunday. He was challenged and had to drive his socks off to take the win. Proper bit of F1 racing. Yes, the car is good enough to do it, but there wouldn't be many in the sport that could have pulled off what was effectively several qualifying laps in a row, all whilst keeping the rubber in place to allow for overtake at the end of the chase.

I enjoyed his victory in Turkey last year too for similar reasons - he had to go out there and turn it around. It's those sort of drives that are fun to watch and look back at, not the ones where he's in to T1 in front and then just drives away. I'm happy that he does those too, of course, but the enjoyment is in the challenge and response wins, not the unchallenged ones.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
11 May 2021, 10:38
NathanOlder wrote:
MKlaus wrote:
Schumacher was kinda forced out. We’ve seen in the past that you can stay relevant in your late thirties and even early forties with the right training and diet. He’s super fit and still looks as hungry as he was at 22.
Fangio was 46 when he won his 5th title. And he was 40 when he won his first title. But Fangio was the true GOAT.

NathanOlder

Back on topic, How long a deal do we think Lewis will sign, sounds like it will be more than 1 year. 2 most likely, would love to see 3 [-o< Maybe Lewis has already been told their 2022 car is already faster than the 2020 car :lol: :wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
11 May 2021, 13:33

Back on topic, How long a deal do we think Lewis will sign, sounds like it will be more than 1 year. 2 most likely, would love to see 3 [-o< Maybe Lewis has already been told their 2022 car is already faster than the 2020 car :lol: :wink:
I've seen it reported that he's looking for 2 years. Could be a 1 + 1 deal in order to see what the new cars are like, how competitive the W13 (presumed name for next year's car) is, what the racing is like etc.

If the car isn't top drawer but the cars can race, he might be happy to do a couple of years of wheel-to-wheel racing to end his career "old school", especially if he can drag a few wins out of it.

NathanOlder

Yeah i see it that way too. I really hope the 2022 cars give us some racing like we see in the lower formula's. Will be so good to see Max, Charles, George, Lando etc all fighting like an F3 race.

Oh and add Lewis, Nando and Seb in there too.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

aral
aral

Once again i have had to remove a number of posts as they were bordering on racism and were also inflammatory. Some of the comments were rather puerile and had no place on an F1 forum. Please all calm down and endeavour to partake in reasonable and on-topic debates.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 May 2021, 11:13
Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Fangio was 46 when he won his 5th title. And he was 40 when he won his first title. But Fangio was the true GOAT.
But Fangio had a teammate literally hand over his car. Lewis has never had that [\sarcasm] 🤔😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MKlaus
MKlaus

adrianjordan wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
Jolle wrote:

But Fangio had a teammate literally hand over his car. Lewis has never had that [\sarcasm] 🤔😂
no driver from late nineties onwards had to contend with the fact that, he wouldn't walkout alive from the car. every single race. that makes it easy to drive an f1 car.
statistics doesn't make a driver goat. skills displayed in various situations make and to that extent, the drivers of fangio's era, each one of them is a goat. 95% of the current crop would resign from f1 if they are asked to drive those cars on those tracks and under those dreadful safety conditions. the remaining ones hardly survive long enough to rack up the stats.
every grown up adult knows having a dominant car for prolonged time in modern cars helps easily racks up stats. lewis belongs to modern day greats for having displayed great driving skills in modern cars under various conditions that are considered challenging in modern times.
his stats are all achieved under dominant cars with a meak and feeble team mate. while his team mates didn't jump put to make way for him, but he has longer career in great cars unlike any other driver in history. he is undoubtedly a great driver, but not because of stats.
other than fangio, clark probably was the greatest driver of history. it was so unfortunate f1 couldn't witness him long. he was considered blinding fast and probably the fastest there ever was.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That's the point about the idea of the GOAT. It's pointless because you're not comparing the same sport across the years. Even between Senna's/Schumacher's day to today is very different. There is the safety aspect that is night and day different from Fangio's day to today, but also the very nature of the cars is different.

If required to do so, I'd put Fangio as the GOAT but only because of the conditions that he drove in, the cars, the nature of the tracks, safety being non-existent, medical aid rudimentary, etc. I can see an argument for Clark, because he was just fast in everything he drove, but it's also true to say that he had the best car of his day in the Lotus 25/33. And he dominated in them, winning 7 out of 10 races in '63 and 6 out of 9 races in '65, along with a big bag full of non-championship races too.

The argument about "the best car" is silly - no one wins championships in bad cars, or even average cars. They win them in good/great cars. Heck, Fangio himself jumped around the place to ensure he was always in the best car, that's why he won 5 titles with 4 different teams.

It's strange that the "he's only winning because he's in the best car" is neatly avoided by people when discussing the other greats. It's only really one driver that has it constantly raised as an issue.

El Scorchio

Please let us not get sucked into this argument yet again! It'll just result in the thread being locked with absolutely no-one gaining anything from it.

PlatinumZealot

MKlaus wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:59
adrianjordan wrote:
12 May 2021, 14:45
Just_a_fan wrote:

no driver from late nineties onwards had to contend with the fact that, he wouldn't walkout alive from the car. every single race. that makes it easy to drive an f1 car.
statistics doesn't make a driver goat. skills displayed in various situations make and to that extent, the drivers of fangio's era, each one of them is a goat. 95% of the current crop would resign from f1 if they are asked to drive those cars on those tracks and under those dreadful safety conditions. the remaining ones hardly survive long enough to rack up the stats.
every grown up adult knows having a dominant car for prolonged time in modern cars helps easily racks up stats. lewis belongs to modern day greats for having displayed great driving skills in modern cars under various conditions that are considered challenging in modern times.
his stats are all achieved under dominant cars with a meak and feeble team mate. while his team mates didn't jump put to make way for him, but he has longer career in great cars unlike any other driver in history. he is undoubtedly a great driver, but not because of stats.
other than fangio, clark probably was the greatest driver of history. it was so unfortunate f1 couldn't witness him long. he was considered blinding fast and probably the fastest there ever was.
There was a thread for this topic, argued to death, so pretty much the topic is boring for like 98% of the users here. Sir Lewis Hamilton is a great obviously, but if he is the greatest of all time will always depend on who you ask. It's like politics, you pretty much wont' convince anyone to change their views.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏