Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Joe Saward said Bottas to Renault almost happened last year; the team was all for it, but the brass at corporate thought a returning Alonso would be a better idea.

I would have loved to see Bottas there, I think he's a bit underrated.

NathanOlder

zeph wrote:
24 May 2021, 08:28
Joe Saward said Bottas to Renault almost happened last year; the team was all for it, but the brass at corporate thought a returning Alonso would be a better idea.

Yeah , maybe now its looking like Alonso is now a Massa, Bottas could squeeze his way in for 2022
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SmallSoldier

McMika98 wrote:Ricciardo is lucky he has a solid contract, any other driver getting lapped by teammate on a car that is at best 4th quickest is a nail in the coffin.
Funny how he has pushed Sainz out of race seat twice already.
Maybe Mclaren will release him next year if he does not pick up.
Bottas to Redbull is now a real prospect.
Daniel didn’t pushed Sainz out of the seat... Sainz made the decision to move to Ferrari and that open up the seat at Mclaren for Daniel.

Ricciardo won’t be released and the fact that he was lapped by Lando has more to do with track position than out right pace... Yes, he had a poor qualifying that placed him out of the top 10 and with how hard (nearly impossible) it is to overtake in Monaco, he was going to be driving at the same pace of the guys in front of him... Having the “4th fastest car” means very little when you qualify out of position at Monaco

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adrianjordan

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 May 2021, 18:28
McMika98 wrote:Ricciardo is lucky he has a solid contract, any other driver getting lapped by teammate on a car that is at best 4th quickest is a nail in the coffin.
Funny how he has pushed Sainz out of race seat twice already.
Maybe Mclaren will release him next year if he does not pick up.
Bottas to Redbull is now a real prospect.
Daniel didn’t pushed Sainz out of the seat... Sainz made the decision to move to Ferrari and that open up the seat at Mclaren for Daniel.

Ricciardo won’t be released and the fact that he was lapped by Lando has more to do with track position than out right pace... Yes, he had a poor qualifying that placed him out of the top 10 and with how hard (nearly impossible) it is to overtake in Monaco, he was going to be driving at the same pace of the guys in front of him... Having the “4th fastest car” means very little when you qualify out of position at Monaco

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well said.

I mean Hamilton couldn't overtake Gasly, in fact I don't remember any on track overtakes after the first couple of corners.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Bottas to RB?? Where's Perez going because I don't see any way Max leaves the team now.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Merc have always had an advantage as they’ve had the strongest pairing for awhile now - one could say going back to the ROS years. After Monaco, I think it’s safe to say Ferrari now have an excellent pairing; LEC crashes too much but between the two, the speed is there. Redbull too have closed their gap, PER is a reliable Sunday performer.

I think therefore it would be a mistake not to offer BOT another contract, Merc just cannot afford any slippage with that 2nd seat.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

NathanOlder

adrianjordan wrote:
25 May 2021, 02:31
Bottas to RB?? Where's Perez going because I don't see any way Max leaves the team now.
Well Perez does only have a 1 year deal at the moment , doesn't he ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

214270 wrote:
25 May 2021, 13:35
Merc have always had an advantage as they’ve had the strongest pairing for awhile now - one could say going back to the ROS years. After Monaco, I think it’s safe to say Ferrari now have an excellent pairing; LEC crashes too much but between the two, the speed is there. Redbull too have closed their gap, PER is a reliable Sunday performer.

I think therefore it would be a mistake not to offer BOT another contract, Merc just cannot afford any slippage with that 2nd seat.
But they can't risk RedBull trying to pinch Russell for 2022. If I were Horner I'd want Russell for 3 reasons,

1- He's most likely faster than Perez in outright speed (race pace & Tyre coaching is easier to learn that outright speed IMO)
2- He's younger than Max (could keep the same 2 drivers for 10 years no problem)
3- It would piss off Mercedes/Toto
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder wrote:
25 May 2021, 13:47
214270 wrote:

But they can't risk RedBull trying to pinch Russell for 2022. If I were Horner I'd want Russell for 3 reasons,

1- He's most likely faster than Perez in outright speed (race pace & Tyre coaching is easier to learn that outright speed IMO)
2- He's younger than Max (could keep the same 2 drivers for 10 years no problem)
I think that’s fantasy dude. Notwithstanding what happens this year in terms of the championship, you don’t pass on an opportunity to drive for the alpha F1 team. Not to mention, how exactly does he move to Redbull when Wolff manages him? It only happens if he makes a decision to leave the Merc stable. He’s obviously next in line, that would be a genuinely dumb move. Age etc don’t matter with that 2nd seat - VER eats first, that should be clear by now.

It doesn’t pass the smell test.

NathanOlder

214270 wrote:
25 May 2021, 14:12
NathanOlder wrote:
214270 wrote:

I think that’s fantasy dude. Notwithstanding what happens this year in terms of the championship, you don’t pass on an opportunity to drive for the alpha F1 team. Not to mention, how exactly does he move to Redbull when Wolff manages him? It only happens if he makes a decision to leave the Merc stable. He’s obviously next in line, that would be a genuinely dumb move. Age etc don’t matter with that 2nd seat - VER eats first, that should be clear by now.

No no no, myabe I wasn't clear, what I meant was if Mercedes offer Bottas another contract, Russells deal runs out at the end of this season. So he won't be driving for another year in a top car. Russell will surely believe he should have been in the W12, and now you are saying he shouldn't be offered a seat in the W13 as Mercedes should offer Bottas another year. So RedBull should then be looking to steal Russell from Mercedes. If Russell is offered a contract at RedBull next to Max for 2022, are you saying he should say no and do another year at Williams ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Joker

NathanOlder wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:38
zeph wrote:

Yeah , maybe now its looking like Alonso is now a Massa, Bottas could squeeze his way in for 2022
Why would they consider Bottas to replace Alonso, when Bottas looked like Massa in his entire career. If Alonso leaves, which won't hapen until after 2022, they will put someone from their academy in that seat.

NathanOlder

Joker wrote:
25 May 2021, 16:51
NathanOlder wrote:
24 May 2021, 14:38
zeph wrote:

Why would they consider Bottas to replace Alonso, when Bottas looked like Massa in his entire career. If Alonso leaves, which won't hapen until after 2022, they will put someone from their academy in that seat.
Well Bottas beat Massa 3 years running at Williams, so it's not like Bottas is Massa.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder wrote:
25 May 2021, 14:50
214270 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

No no no, myabe I wasn't clear, what I meant was if Mercedes offer Bottas another contract, Russells deal runs out at the end of this season. So he won't be driving for another year in a top car. Russell will surely believe he should have been in the W12, and now you are saying he shouldn't be offered a seat in the W13 as Mercedes should offer Bottas another year. So RedBull should then be looking to steal Russell from Mercedes. If Russell is offered a contract at RedBull next to Max for 2022, are you saying he should say no and do another year at Williams ?
I’m saying he should continue to work towards a Merc race seat, which probably means staying another year at Williams. What does he really gain by taking up the Redbull 2nd seat aside from maybe a salary bump?, I don’t know whether that motivates him.

NathanOlder

214270 wrote:
25 May 2021, 17:38
NathanOlder wrote:
25 May 2021, 14:50
214270 wrote:

I’m saying he should continue to work towards a Merc race seat, which probably means staying another year at Williams. What does he really gain by taking up the Redbull 2nd seat aside from maybe a salary bump?, I don’t know whether that motivates him.
I feel that if Mercedes don't take George for 2022, that almost makes it feel like they wont ever take him. It seems like he has been promised a Merc seat for far too long now. Unless Toto can get him in a mid field team for 2022 then I would be considering offers if I were George. He must look at Lando and Charles and think he's missing out. He's at the back fighting with Rookies and pay drivers, Lando and charles are scoring pole positions and podiums. We will see though. Its all very interesting
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

ringo

Russell can go to Aston Martin to replace vettel.
Bottas is asset to Mercedes. If they lose him, he goes to their rivals as a very strong wing man. Possibly too strong for their #1 driver to be comfortable.

George isn't entitled to a top seat until he scores some points.
For Sure!!