Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Harvey wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:28
El Scorchio wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:06
TNTHead wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:25
https://www.planetf1.com/news/jv-lance- ... edes-idea/

Wild idea by Villeneuve... :lol:
Although, if it is solely about getting the best drive for your son it would be logical. But is it also in the interest of Mercedes? I doubt that highly.
Not sure what it would mean for the AM team either. Why would Stroll Sr continue to pump money into it if his son is no longer there? Let's be honest, Lance is the only real reason he bought the team.
Why do people still think that Stroll Snr is only at AM for his son? This is a man who has built a literal fortune by investing in businesses and brands which carry a lot of clout internationally but which could do better. he then makes them do better. This is exactly what he's doing with AM. He's not stupid. He bought the team because it became available at just the right time - it had collapsed, the impending regulation change and cost cap, and his separate buy out of Aston Martin. Yes, he invested money in his son's racing career - but this is a man who has been around F1 for decades through sponsorship deals, and has a clear history of a love for motorsports and automotive history.
It is only my speculation, but I just think it's too much of a coincidence with the timing and Lance's career. There have been several opportunities to buy or invest heavily in a team, probably for less money. Cost cap point you raised is a good one, though. The AM thing I think he quite possibly would have done independently of F1 anyway. But I think there's a clear goal/masterplan for Lance to become WDC or as close as possible, so I do genuinely think he basically purchased the AM team for that means. The only place I think Lance would leave for is Mercedes, but I'm not sure he's quite got the talent (yet- at least) to be racing there.

What I do want to be clear on is that this isn't a slight on Lance. IMO he's proven himself to be good enough belong in F1 (Sunday aside) rather than just being a rich kid- although it's clear that has massively helped him grasp opportunities.

Jolle
Jolle

El Scorchio wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:37
Harvey wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:28
El Scorchio wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:06

Not sure what it would mean for the AM team either. Why would Stroll Sr continue to pump money into it if his son is no longer there? Let's be honest, Lance is the only real reason he bought the team.
Why do people still think that Stroll Snr is only at AM for his son? This is a man who has built a literal fortune by investing in businesses and brands which carry a lot of clout internationally but which could do better. he then makes them do better. This is exactly what he's doing with AM. He's not stupid. He bought the team because it became available at just the right time - it had collapsed, the impending regulation change and cost cap, and his separate buy out of Aston Martin. Yes, he invested money in his son's racing career - but this is a man who has been around F1 for decades through sponsorship deals, and has a clear history of a love for motorsports and automotive history.
It is only my speculation, but I just think it's too much of a coincidence with the timing and Lance's career. There have been several opportunities to buy or invest heavily in a team, probably for less money. Cost cap point you raised is a good one, though. The AM thing I think he quite possibly would have done independently of F1 anyway. But I think there's a clear goal/masterplan for Lance to become WDC or as close as possible, so I do genuinely think he basically purchased the AM team for that means. The only place I think Lance would leave for is Mercedes, but I'm not sure he's quite got the talent (yet- at least) to be racing there.

What I do want to be clear on is that this isn't a slight on Lance. IMO he's proven himself to be good enough belong in F1 (Sunday aside) rather than just being a rich kid- although it's clear that has massively helped him grasp opportunities.
Good guess that Lance his interest and ambitions in motorsport is fuelled by his fathers passion. So it’s not that strange that he becomes a driver (when you have the talent and put in the work) and Sr an investor (when you have the money and insights). For new investors F1 had a perfect storm, a few teams could be bought/picked up just around the time their value would rise considerably, due to the cost cap (more return for investment) and the 400% rise in entry fee.
Stroll Sr. lives and breaths autosport, so, why not? That his son has for this far, is for them a big bonus. Plus, I kinda am jealous, as a father and as a son 😂

Big Tea

TNTHead wrote:

Although, if it is solely about getting the best drive for your son it would be logical. But is it also in the interest of Mercedes? I doubt that highly.
I have said this several times. Well almost said I said Russell and Bottas at AM
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TNTHead

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 16:24
TNTHead wrote:

I have said this several times. Well almost said I said Russell and Bottas at AM
Stroll to Merc, Russell and Bottas at AM, could be. But then Vettel is unemployed. What he showed recently is that his racecraft is still there. If Merc would go for the best possible line-up I still would go for HAM/RUS at Merc, also because you can benchmark RUS against HAM (and let him learn from him as well). But then Merc still would have great plans with RUS, which would make sense because it is likely that HAM quits at the end of 2023.

Big Tea

TNTHead wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 16:55
Big Tea wrote:
TNTHead wrote:

Stroll to Merc, Russell and Bottas at AM, could be. But then Vettel is unemployed. What he showed recently is that his racecraft is still there. If Merc would go for the best possible line-up I still would go for HAM/RUS at Merc, also because you can benchmark RUS against HAM (and let him learn from him as well). But then Merc still would have great plans with RUS, which would make sense because it is likely that HAM quits at the end of 2023.
Ham and RUS look like the best combo at Merc, but on the other hand If I ran the team I would be reluctant to split a winning team that has worked for several years in a few different scenarios. Bottas is never a Ham replacement, but he does not take many points off him and not usually scrapping over the same bit of track and letting the opposition either get away or catch up. Which do you find the most useful in your tool box? 2 hammers or a hammer and a mallet?

I would also be loath to let the opposition have either Bottas or Russell.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ticktum dumped by williams to pay for Bottas?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 19:19
ticktum dumped by williams to pay for Bottas?
Isn't Latifi Snr still involved at Williams? Probably didn't take kindly to Tiktum bad mouthing his son!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 18:15
TNTHead wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Ham and RUS look like the best combo at Merc, but on the other hand If I ran the team I would be reluctant to split a winning team that has worked for several years in a few different scenarios. Bottas is never a Ham replacement, but he does not take many points off him and not usually scrapping over the same bit of track and letting the opposition either get away or catch up. Which do you find the most useful in your tool box? 2 hammers or a hammer and a mallet?

I think George showed, with his radio message about compromising his race if necessary, that he is willing to play the team game.

Maybe to say to Merc, I'll be the dutiful wingman if Lewis is ahead. I don't see George as someone who would rock the boat as much. I think it would be more like the dynamic Lewis had with Jenson at McLaren, or that Fernando and Ocon have now.

Of course, maybe Merc should just do what we would all love to see them do.... Promote Vettel from AM....!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:01
Big Tea wrote:
TNTHead wrote:

I think George showed, with his radio message about compromising his race if necessary, that he is willing to play the team game.

Maybe to say to Merc, I'll be the dutiful wingman if Lewis is ahead. I don't see George as someone who would rock the boat as much. I think it would be more like the dynamic Lewis had with Jenson at McLaren, or that Fernando and Ocon have now.

Of course, maybe Merc should just do what we would all love to see them do.... Promote Vettel from AM....!!
I think you are right and that is what his message was all about. Not being a good team player on the day, but letting Toto know he is willing to play the team game. That had not occurred to me

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:23
adrianjordan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I think you are right and that is what his message was all about. Not being a good team player on the day, but letting Toto know he is willing to play the team game. That had not occurred to me
My daughter said that the message was for Toto during the GP!🤣 Even just watching for Yuki, it's surprising how much she has caught on to the sport...😁

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:33
Big Tea wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

My daughter said that the message was for Toto during the GP!🤣 Even just watching for Yuki, it's surprising how much she has caught on to the sport...😁
Ah, a budding journalist eh?

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:54
Zynerji wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Nope. Just an artist-simp..😏😂

Ryar

Zynerji wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 02:44
Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 23:54
Zynerji wrote:

Nope. Just an artist-simp..😏😂
Congratulations, your daughter is really smart! Imagine, that is what Bottas has reduced himself to in front of audiences and his fan base still can't see it. He came aspiring to be a champion has reduced himself to a hitman. Life is not going to be any easier for him if he still want to continue at Mercedes. There is more humiliation in store for him.
Hakuna Matata!

politburo
politburo

After running through the data, here are the qualifying battles between drivers in different teams, as the best benchmark is a driver's teammate. I often hear that Stroll is bad, and Vettel has had a resurgence, but their pace in Qualifying is very close. Though Vettel wins the overall head-to-head battles in both qualifying and the race.

In contrast, Latifi, Mazepin, Ricciardo, and Perez are markedly worse than their teammate in qualifying.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

politburo
politburo

politburo wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 20:12
https://i.imgur.com/0EPmwVL.png

After running through the data, here are the qualifying battles between drivers in different teams, as the best benchmark is a driver's teammate. I often hear that Stroll is bad, and Vettel has had a resurgence, but their pace in Qualifying is very close. Though Vettel wins the overall head-to-head battles in both qualifying and the race.

In contrast, Latifi, Mazepin, Ricciardo, and Perez are markedly worse than their teammate in qualifying.
I do wonder if teams scrutinize qualifying pace when looking at driver pairings.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"