Car crashes during the cool-down lap?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jamesmustain

Car crashes during the cool-down lap?

Hi,
My car finishes classified, but then crashes during the cool-down lap, is it weighed nevertheless (as the regulations prescribe)? And if yes, how can it be done? Are all the detached bits and pieces collected from the ground? What if the crash has caused fluid leaks?
Thanks!

adrianjordan

Re: Car crashes during the cool-down lap?

Oh, good question....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

basti313

The technical regs do not have these exceptions nor do they have a crash clause as far as I can see it.
So it boils down to the simple point if the fluids are there or not. If not you are out.

The point that you have to return to the pits goes down to the "stopping on track" rule, which hit Lewis this year if I am not mistaken with a 5sec penalty for the test starts. Of course this may be more severe in this case. But still less severe than the black/white fuel check in the technical regs.

From my point of view....you could come through more easy with a crash than with not enough fuel...if you make it smart. Just breaking not enough will not work, they will look at the data, but maybe there is some debris you can run over to kill the tire or so.

Furthermore this topic of course also counts for interesting finishes with red flags or so....if you crash on the last lap, but the race result is counted from the second to last lap due to a red flag.
Don`t russel the hamster!

wesley123

This is exactly what happened in Malaysia 2017.

As far as I know Vettel kept his race result.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jolle

I guess as long as they don’t think the driver gained an advantage by crashing after the finishline they let it go. But is they expect foul play, they probably do an investigation (and collecting as much as they can to weigh etc)