Canadian GP Out, Turkey GP In

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
fritticaldi

Re: Canadian GP Out, Turkey GP In

LM10 wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 09:36
fritticaldi wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 22:27
Public Health has said that even with no attendance the fact that approx. 2500 crew members, media etc all arriving from different places is high risk of spreading the virus.
Yea... that rather sounds like a kind of an excuse. „Corrupt politicians” like mclaren111 told is a more realistic explanation.
Over a year into the pandemic, so much more knowledge, well working measurements and vaccination going on already, it should be possible to make it happen. F1 took place in numerous countries last season. No major problems.
I totally agree with you. Besides all team personnel and drivers are already vaccinated. This is total hogwash.

fritticaldi

Shrieker wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:31
fritticaldi wrote:
Public Health has said that even with no attendance the fact that approx. 2500 crew members, media etc all arriving from different places is high risk of spreading the virus.
And the exact opposite is true for Turkey lol.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see F1 cars race on our track again, but we've crossed into 60k+ new cases every day, with 200+ deceased people declared daily. That number is probably more like 500-600 in reality. The administration is claiming it's the UK variant, but there are some doubts that it's actually mutated into another variant, but lack of genome sequencing facilities makes it impossible to know what really is going on. It is rumored to be easier spreading and more deadly in all age groups.

Administration has declared a partial lockdown, so we may actually see the number of cases go down within the next 2 months. But things sure as hell don't look bright right now.
Thanks for the update on the health situation in Turkey. Hence the chances of seeing Istanbul back on the F.1 schedule are rather slim. Keep safe .

DChemTech
DChemTech

fritticaldi wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 19:53
LM10 wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:
Yea... that rather sounds like a kind of an excuse. „Corrupt politicians” like mclaren111 told is a more realistic explanation.
Over a year into the pandemic, so much more knowledge, well working measurements and vaccination going on already, it should be possible to make it happen. F1 took place in numerous countries last season. No major problems.
I totally agree with you. Besides all team personnel and drivers are already vaccinated. This is total hogwash.
Yeah, there also is such a thing as a public image though. If your country is going through a strong wave of infections, it may not seem so fair to people if you are also hosting a big event, even if those people are vaccinated. That doesn't make politicians corrupt.

And besides, most countries pay to host F1; it could just be a matter of budget. As noted earlier, maybe the government doesn't want to sponsor because they can use the money elsewhere. Or maybe without the audience, there's not sufficient income to make it work. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Dutch GP will be cancelled, too. Circuit management tries to pressure the government by saying they'll only continue with a proper audience, but as it stands now, I don't expect such a crowd will be allowed.

GalacticHitchHiker

I now feel extra sorry for the people who had tickets for the 2020 race. I'm quite certain that money will never be seen again if the race is cancelled two years in a row.

cplchanb
cplchanb

GalacticHitchHiker wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 20:38
I now feel extra sorry for the people who had tickets for the 2020 race. I'm quite certain that money will never be seen again if the race is cancelled two years in a row.
thats why im glad i defferred. at least im guaranteed a ticket for the eventual return

97G8tr
97G8tr

Lots of conjecture here not based off empirical fact and numbers. Covid isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. I'm fine with Canada and Australia going away... Seems like some here think the lock downs give a virtuous basis of denial that CV is/isn't going to change. F1 races in countries with zero spectators, to say they couldn't race in Montreal or Aus is disingenuous. Canada can have their lockdowns...

aral
aral

Just a reminder, this is a motor sport site and debates / arguments about the usefullness or otherwise of vaccines are not relevant. Some off topic posts have been removed. All teams will have to comply with whatever rules for travel are in place at the time

diffuser

LM10 wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:
The pollicians want it the Dr. are trying to block it. Pretty much the headline "Montreal public health officials opposed to holding 2021 Canadian Grand Prix". Just because the politicians are corrupt in your country doesn't mean they are everywhere.

There is also the matter that they want 6 million $$$$ to hold it here and Montreal has to pay to prep the track. It's alot of money that we get little benifit from.

If they moved it to the middle of august, it would work better with the vaccine program we're rolling out.

LM10
LM10

diffuser wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 22:34
LM10 wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:
The pollicians want it the Dr. are trying to block it. Pretty much the headline "Montreal public health officials opposed to holding 2021 Canadian Grand Prix". Just because the politicians are corrupt in your country doesn't mean they are everywhere.
If they are in my country, then they are everywhere. If you think they aren’t, you should rethink.
Didn’t tell they’re all, but many of them. That’s how it works.

And because my last post was deleted (it was related to another deleted post), I’ll tell it again: I misunderstood the initial meaning of corrupt politicians in this context.

However, I still think that it would be absolutely possible for the GP to take place. Without visitors obviously and with all the strict measurements which have worked evidently. Of course, that’s only regarding the infection dynamic itself. If Canada thinks that it is not profitable enough for a GP to go underway without spectators, then that’s a different point which I would understand.
I’m the last person to underestimate Covid or not take it seriously, btw.

hUirEYExbN

diffuser wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 22:34
There is also the matter that they want 6 million $$$$ to hold it here and Montreal has to pay to prep the track. It's alot of money that we get little benifit from.
That seems the most likely reason. 6 million, no spectators, very little return on that investment. It makes no sense to run the race (especially at a non-permanent venue) until international travel and spectating is acceptable.

fritticaldi

Update The Local news are now reporting that the Canadian GP is likely to take place. The decision is going to be announced at the latest this Friday, April 30. It looks like the 6 million asked by Liberty Media will be forked out by the City of Montreal, the provincial Govt and Federal Govt.

GalacticHitchHiker

La Presse report that the race has been cancelled, but the Canadian GP contract has been renewed through 2031.

(French Article) https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/course-a ... annule.php#

DeepL Translation:
The Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix will be cancelled this year for health reasons. However, the governments and F1 have reached an agreement in principle to extend the event in Montreal for two more years, until 2031, La Presse has learned. The official announcement is expected this week.

According to our information, the governments and F1 first agreed to cancel the Grand Prix for the second year in a row for health reasons. The two parties then agreed to resume the two race presentations cancelled due to the pandemic at the end of the current agreement in 2030 and 2031. The governments and the owners of F1 (Liberty Media) are currently negotiating the final financial details of the agreement.

But here's the thing: the amount of money the governments pay to F1 (Liberty Media) increases a little each year - as is usually the case in this type of contract, especially to account for inflation. So for F1, it is not enough to simply extend the contract by two years, because the years 2030 and 2031 are "worth" more than the years 2020 and 2021, in terms of rights.

From 2015 to 2024, Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa will have paid an average of $18.7 million per year to F1 (this is an average over the period; the amount increases slightly each year). From 2025 to 2029, the price paid was already expected to rise to an average of 19.7 million per year, a 5% increase over the previous contract (2015-2024).

If the parties agree on a 5% increase like last time (in 2017), the annual amount paid by governments to F1 would increase from 19.7 million to 20.7 million. This would be an increase of 1 million per year, or 2 million for two years.

As part of the F1 contract, Ottawa, Quebec City and Montreal (the City of Montreal and Tourisme Montreal through a tax on accommodation) generally split the bill into three equal parts.

No official decision from public health authorities
In recent weeks, F1 has been waiting for a response from public health authorities in Ottawa, Quebec City and Montreal on its plans for a closed-door, spectator-free Grand Prix. F1 was requesting an exemption from health regulations to reduce the quarantine period for the 1,600 team and F1 personnel arriving in Montreal from abroad for the Grand Prix from June 11 to 13.

F1 never received a formal response from public health authorities in Quebec City and Ottawa, who have been passing the buck in recent weeks.

Faced with the obvious (but unofficial) conclusion from public health authorities that a closed-door Grand Prix would probably not be authorized, the governments and F1 then agreed to cancel this year's race for health reasons, according to our information.

Under this scenario, F1 could move its planned Montreal event in mid-June 2021 to another city this year.

F1's first choice: Istanbul, Turkey. Istanbul hosted a Grand Prix in 2020 when the F1 calendar was disrupted by the pandemic. Turkey hosted a Grand Prix from 2005 to 2011.

Istanbul also has the advantage of being geographically close to Baku, where the Azerbaijan F1 Grand Prix will be held the week before, from June 4 to 6. According to the European motoring press, F1 is also evaluating Germany's bid.

To hold a closed-door Grand Prix in Montreal in 2021, F1 initially asked governments for $6 million to pay for the expenses of organizing the race, usually paid for by the revenues generated by spectators.

We understand that the total additional cost to governments for the rights to host a race in 2030 and 2031 (rather than 2020 and 2021) is expected to be less than $6 million. However, negotiations are not complete.

In 2020 and 2021, governments will not pay F1 any race fees ($18.7 million per year on average) because the event was cancelled each time for health reasons.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

GalacticHitchHiker

And it's now official Turkey will take the slot.

diffuser

GalacticHitchHiker wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 17:33
And it's now official Turkey will take the slot.
Can't say I'm surprised.

GalacticHitchHiker

Me either, it seemed like the same situation we had with last year, where it was clear the event couldn't go on but it was important who actually made the call to cancel due to contracts and insurance stuff.