How does Mercedes protect their development plans/ideas when haemorrhaging staff?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: How does Mercedes protect their development plans/ideas when haemorrhaging staff?

djones wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:54
To be honest I don't even understand why they don't have people under non-compete clauses.

In the UK you can now legally enforce a non-compete agreement. Why do the contracts of these staff not say you can't go to a competitor for 12 months after your leave date etc.
A Brexit thing I presume? In the EU you can have that in your contract (I had many of times) but it won’t hold up in court if you do.

djones

Re: How does Mercedes protect their development plans/ideas when haemorrhaging staff?

Jolle wrote:
13 May 2021, 13:43
djones wrote:
To be honest I don't even understand why they don't have people under non-compete clauses.

In the UK you can now legally enforce a non-compete agreement. Why do the contracts of these staff not say you can't go to a competitor for 12 months after your leave date etc.
A Brexit thing I presume? In the EU you can have that in your contract (I had many of times) but it won’t hold up in court if you do.
I don't know the exact details. But about 3 months ago we had somebody at work leave for a competitor and the clause was used. They could not work for them for 12 months and it totally stood up to the solicitors etc.

Jolle

djones wrote:
13 May 2021, 15:48
Jolle wrote:
13 May 2021, 13:43
djones wrote:

I don't know the exact details. But about 3 months ago we had somebody at work leave for a competitor and the clause was used. They could not work for them for 12 months and it totally stood up to the solicitors etc.
In European law you can’t put terms after your contract expires. That’s why there is such a thing like gardening leave, where your old employer just lets you sit at home fully paid until the end of your contract.

Skippon

Their contracts probably state they cannot work for a listed competitor for 12 months and so are enforceable

Hoffman900

Is the UK big enough to support two F1 engine manufacturers at this scale? Clearly they’ll have to recruit outside the UK, but how does Brexit play into it?

< from the States, so my understanding of the employer market there is limited.

Greg Locock

Non competes were a thing in the Uk in 1988, a friend of mine got 6 months gardening leave.