Max Mosley RIP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Max Mosley RIP

Tommy Cookers wrote:
28 May 2021, 12:13
better days ? ... MM was making fast progress as a novice driver, almost winning a national series in 1967 ....
then F2 .... (then full of F1 and world champion drivers) ....
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... y-crusade/
Wow! did not know this. Great information! Thanks for the link.

NathanOlder

And we moan about older rivers blocking seats in F1 theses days, Imagine if half the grid dropped to F2 to do the support races and block the young talent there too haha. Then again, I'd love to see the current drivers go back to F2 for a season together
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Airshifter

I have to assume that nobody else has seen the recent news on this?

His death has now been ruled a suicide that took place after finding out his chances of surviving the cancer were very slim and most likely a painful and slow end.

Not that it will IMHO change who he was and his legacy......

djos

He’ll always be Spanky to me …..
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

djos wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 01:45
He’ll always be Spanky to me …..
Sorry, original post deleted before I get banned. Did not 'like' the guy but respected him.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

I still hold him responsible for Senna’s death. Him banning active suspension etc with almost no notice before the 92 season was unforgivable.
"In downforce we trust"

vorticism

djos wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 02:02
I still hold him responsible...
Not the car's designers? Not the team that built it? Not the driver choosing to drive 200mph in it? Everyone had a part to play. You give him undue power.
𓄀

Jolle

djos wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 02:02
I still hold him responsible for Senna’s death. Him banning active suspension etc with almost no notice before the 92 season was unforgivable.
I see it differently. Because of small teams trying to catch up during the 92, 93 seasons, those cars became more and more dangerous. Any failure of the new hydraulic tech would cause a massive massive crash. Top teams had the expertise to service their systems on a day to day basis, the small ones didn't. Active suspension in those days in the hands of teams like Fondmetal or Andrea Moda was a deathtrap (any failure of an hydraulic system and all four wheels would be off the ground)

In his book, "How to build a car", That Williams had a problem of a stalling floor at the side pods. The worlds best designer build a car with a flaw, and Senna tried to compensate for that by having the car too low.

At the time, banning active suspension was the clever thing to do. A few years later, Jos Verstappen had a crash at Spa, because Arrows just didn't replace an upright that was beyond it's use. Imagine teams with even smaller budgets or morals than Arrows fumbling around with hydraulics.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

No politics please...

Comment on his life how you wish, but try not to make this a "left vs. right" political debate between yourselves...
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Airshifter

I almost wish I could downvote myself for bringing up the recent news that came about.

I always thought we was a decent guy and did a lot for the sport. Between him and Bernie they could be easy people for many to hate, but often without real reason IMHO. And I always took the tabloid shots at his private life as just mud slinging like they will do and nothing more.

I did find it odd that the news that it was suicide took so long to come out to the public. Not that I could blame a person in that situation, I just find it shocking they managed to keep it out of the public eye for such a period of time.

Big Tea

Airshifter wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 23:12
I almost wish I could downvote myself for bringing up the recent news that came about.

I always thought we was a decent guy and did a lot for the sport. Between him and Bernie they could be easy people for many to hate, but often without real reason IMHO. And I always took the tabloid shots at his private life as just mud slinging like they will do and nothing more.

I did find it odd that the news that it was suicide took so long to come out to the public. Not that I could blame a person in that situation, I just find it shocking they managed to keep it out of the public eye for such a period of time.
His family have had conflict with the press for 80 years or more. Not saying they were not bad, but once the media make a decision, that's all we will ever hear. I will not direct you to a site so as not to influence what you learn, but look up Mosley and blackshirts and make your own decision.(dont go by one 'version')
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

You can also go to source material if you want to form your own account of him. He authored several books.

https://archive.org/details/greater-bri ... ald-mosley
https://freespeechlibrary.com/product_a ... mosley-en/
𓄀

Morteza

Morteza wrote:
25 May 2021, 00:47
NathanOlder wrote:
25 May 2021, 00:16
I can't remember exactly where I heard it but I remember hearing a comment about Max and his fued with Ron that made me laugh. It was all around the spygate saga, and when Ron and Max were shaking hands for photos after the case was closed and Mclaren were fined 100 million dollars apparently Max said quietly to Ron "of the 100 million fine, 1 million was because Mclaren stole documents from Ferrari, the other 99 million is because you are a C##T!"

Thats not word for word correct, but the figure and the final word is definitely what I remember reading. It was in someone's autobiography but I can't remember who exactly.
Found the said quote here
Urban paddock legend has it that Mosley slighted Dennis verbally while standing for a photo of ‘reconciliation’ in the Spa paddock that summer of 2007. But in reality it was Ecclestone, Mosley claims, that said: “Ron was fined $5m for the offence and $95m for being a ****.”
So it was actually Bernie who said it?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare