Paul Ricard car setup thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Paul Ricard car setup thread

Next race is France, the Paul Ricard circuit is also interesting from a driving perspective. It's somewhat similar in that the brakes and riding them is important, however, this circuit demands an entirely different setup than Azerbaijan.

The biggest difference is that there is more long corners where the car's suspension has to settle and simply carry speed. Particularly in sector 3. Another added challenge that Baku lacks is the undulations that exist on the exits of some critical corners in sectors 1 &2. Therefore you have to run a much stiffer setup, you don't want the car bottoming out on corner exit, and at the same time you need some damper compliance because you can win a lot of time using the kerbs or not unsettling the car on corner exits.

The entry is still important but most corners have a nice high entry speed with a lot of downforce helping you aim the car, the most difficult part is positioning the car on compound corners and nailing the exits. So the car needs to be stable on change of direction and under compression.

As usual the biggest differentiator of performance is how you use the tires, the soft tire will require management of the rears and front left. The medium will work very well with minimal management needed, but it will not make a one stop. The medium tire in Paul Ricard, is the same hard tire that exploded in Baku. The hard tire can likely go the distance but it has a critical flaw in that the front right will be very prone to graining, due to the corners in sector 3.

After the chicane in sector 2 the cars go full blast through a series of right hand turns putting plenty of heat in them, but the right front becomes neglected until the final 4 corners, and it requires you to brake deep and lean on the tires to get the lap time. That puts a lot of surface temperature on the tire but not a lot of carcass temperature.

The requirement is pitch sensitivity on turn in, but insensitivity over bumps, and transients for the exits. Also the setup should promote even tire temperatures because of the front right graining which means stiffer anti-roll bars in general.

A small understeer balance on corner exit is preferable particularly for the exit of the slow turns.

The most important turns from a lap time perspective is 2 4 5 6 8 9 11 12 and 14.

There is a small dip after the apex of 6 that makes it tricky to pin the loud pedal. If you can keep the car stead on the exit of 9 there's a lot of time to be found. 11 has a really late apex, and finessing the brake to keep the nose pointed in the right direction is crucial, all the time is gained on the exits.

12 and 14 are weird corners, aggressive and finesse both seem to work, and neither seem to help with tire graining.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

Re: Paul Ricard car setup thread

Thanks... Good breakdown... =D> =D>

godlameroso

I couldn't have done it without watching this youtube channel. This guy has been a HUGE inspiration to me and my driving this year and he deserves more recognition. Not just from a driving point of view but also psychologically.

Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

If anyone else has any ideas feel free to share! Like for instance how to keep the front right from graining.
Saishū kōnā

BassVirolla

Very interesting analysis!

I seriously hope you will do some more! :D

tpe
tpe

godlameroso wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 19:02
Next race is France, the Paul Ricard circuit is also interesting from a driving perspective. It's somewhat similar in that the brakes and riding them is important, however, this circuit demands an entirely different setup than Azerbaijan.

12 and 14 are weird corners, aggressive and finesse both seem to work, and neither seem to help with tire graining.
Amazing, thank you!

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 15:14
If anyone else has any ideas feel free to share! Like for instance how to keep the front right from graining.
What platform do you race on? I assume you sim race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Godlameroso:
I’ve never before heard of the term ‘compound corner’. What do you mean by that exactly?
Good luck and fair weather, if appropriate, with your racing.

cooken
cooken

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
Yes and equally important, what lap time are you hitting (and with what car model) so that one could attempt to replicate or beat it, if one were so inclined :)

I also appreciates your effort/initiative.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

A bending frontwing would be King here.

godlameroso

cooken wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 23:03
NathanOlder wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
Yes and equally important, what lap time are you hitting (and with what car model) so that one could attempt to replicate or beat it, if one were so inclined :)

I also appreciates your effort/initiative.
Assetto corsa regular Ferrari F1 car, I only run on race fuel full fuel load, I'm doing mid 37's with *soft tires on the regular downloadable track on race department. I'm not that fast.

Also thinking using that Devil Z car around the circuit, I noticed the correct slip angle is a few meters before the apex. Will see if it's the same with the F1 car.

I don't race too much with other people, just do the touge life every now and then under slowcrash101
Last edited by godlameroso on 12 Jun 2021, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Slo Poke wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 22:48
Godlameroso:
I’ve never before heard of the term ‘compound corner’. What do you mean by that exactly?
Where there are multiple corners, much like the esses in suzuka or in Silverstone. One corner depends on the preceeding corner.

What makes that Akina downhill track so interesting is that it is one long compound corner, it depends on the first one and you have to keep that concentration all the way down the hill.

Monaco is exactly like that.
Saishū kōnā

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

godlameroso wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 19:32
Slo Poke wrote:
Godlameroso:
Where there are multiple corners, much like the esses in suzuka or in Silverstone. One corner depends on the preceeding corner.

What makes that Akina downhill track so interesting is that it is one long compound corner, it depends on the first one and you have to keep that concentration all the way down the hill.

Godlameroso:
Ah! Here in England such corners are referred to as sequenced corners. I’ve never bothered myself with actual simulation type racing but in my youth I adored such corners, (public roads), but they always left me feeling wanting, for you can guess what. That was forty years ago, times were different, you couldn’t do it today.
The last sentence of your reply your words run ‘you have to keep that concentration all the way down the hill’. Would that be because of lack of feel and yet the video you’ve provided makes reference to slip, drift and similar. How do you contend with those aspects without the feel?

So anyway The Best of British in your racing.

godlameroso

Slo Poke wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 20:47
godlameroso wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 19:32
Slo Poke wrote:
Godlameroso:

Godlameroso:
Ah! Here in England such corners are referred to as sequenced corners. I’ve never bothered myself with actual simulation type racing but in my youth I adored such corners, (public roads), but they always left me feeling wanting, for you can guess what. That was forty years ago, times were different, you couldn’t do it today.
The last sentence of your reply your words run ‘you have to keep that concentration all the way down the hill’. Would that be because of lack of feel and yet the video you’ve provided makes reference to slip, drift and similar. How do you contend with those aspects without the feel?

So anyway The Best of British in your racing.
No way around it, you have to use your imagination to fill in the gaps.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

The real track with the current resurface is likely 1.5 to 2 seconds faster than what I can manage.
Saishū kōnā