Should the 2022 cars be moved to 2023?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Yes
16%
No
76%
Convince Me
8%

Total votes: 104

Zynerji

With Merc and RBR so tight at the front, and the midfield getting super close, should the switch to new cars be put off for another year to see if we can have a 3-6 way battle in the WCC and a 6-12 way battle in the WDC in 2022?

Sevach
Sevach

Re: Should the 2022 cars be moved to 2023?

Impossible now, a lot of teams already switched their efforts into 2022.

You can't just change that because you like what you are seeing.

Zynerji

Sevach wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 18:14
Impossible now, a lot of teams already switched their efforts into 2022.

You can't just change that because you like what you are seeing.
You mean like the test procedures for bending wings??? :?: :? :? :?

RZS10

wow.

We are all laughing at the "we need rule changes" as soon as something didn't go to some people's liking but this is on another level.

If there was no massive change of regulations the cars wouldn't be that close, it's literally just down to a 'placeholder' rule change for the postponed big one and the fact that the cars will change completely for next year.
Last edited by RZS10 on 20 Jun 2021, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

This season is shaping up to be an utter classic. No matter who wins.

How is that not worth studying, and shaping the rules to promote? These teams could run this stuff on $50m/yr, and double their profitability.

New rules will be dominated by 1 team, as history shows.

Jolle
Jolle

F1 tries to be a sport, not a show. The sport is who can construct the best car over a season of grand prises.

henry

Personally I think it would be preferable to abandon the new rules altogether. If they meet their stated objective of making it easier for cars to follow, and hence challenge and pass, the cars will be fully sorted into pace order by about 1/3 race distance, if not earlier. Thereafter cruise to end.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Zynerji

I guess I might just have to be happy in the fact that we get 2021 for what may be the greatest season of all time.

And people don't tune into F1 for the "construction sport", they tune in for the THRILL.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 18:55
I guess I might just have to be happy in the fact that we get 2021 for what may be the greatest season of all time.

And people don't tune into F1 for the "construction sport", they tune in for the THRILL.
FWIW I watch it for the construction sport. I'd be happy with a complete rule rewrite every 3 years. In the context of a cost control formula it shouldn't matter how frequently they flip the script.

I'm sure I'm abnormal in this belief.

But I do appreciate that while it is close it is a better product and best for the health of F1.

Zynerji

RZS10 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 18:44
wow.

We are all laughing at the "we need rule changes" as soon as something didn't go to some people's liking but this is on another level.

If there was no massive change of regulations the cars wouldn't be that close, it's literally just down to a 'placeholder' rule change for the postponed big one and the fact that the cars will change completely for next year.
Yep. We finally, for the first time in F1 history, found a rule change that closes the field.

Now cancel it, as its done its intended purpose!

RZS10

I thought the purpose was to reduce the strain on the poor old Pirellis, not to hamper certain teams and bunch up the field?

And the regs are not being cancelled, they are really just here as an interim solution and you're suggesting actually cancelling the already planned changes because a team and a driver you like are doing well if we're perfectly honest about it ... so as Sevach put it "You can't just change that because you like what you are seeing."

Would you suggest the same if it was Ferrari challenging Mercedes (like they did in the early stages of 2017 for example with both teams swapping wins)?

And as i wrote those rules are only here because the actual rule change got postponed in the first place and the gaps are as tight because teams put a different focus on the upcoming regs.

Do you really believe that the field would be as tight as it is if they all put their efforts into this year's car?

Or maybe that is the ultimate solution, announce deep cutting changes, make teams spend endless money on them, have different teams commit to them to varying degrees at different stages of the season and then go "jk haha we keep the old cars" ... how would Haas think about your suggested solution, i wonder?

Zynerji

RZS10 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 19:27
I thought the purpose was to reduce the strain on the poor old Pirellis, not to hamper certain teams and bunch up the field?

And the regs are not being cancelled, they are really just here as an interim solution and you're suggesting actually cancelling the already planned changes because a team and a driver you like are doing well if we're perfectly honest about it ... so as Sevach put it "You can't just change that because you like what you are seeing."

Would you suggest the same if it was Ferrari challenging Mercedes (like they did in the early stages of 2017 for example with both teams swapping wins)?

And as i wrote those rules are only here because the actual rule change got postponed in the first place and the gaps are as tight because teams put a different focus on the upcoming regs.

Do you really believe that the field would be as tight as it is if they all put their efforts into this year's car?

Or maybe that is the ultimate solution, announce deep cutting changes, make teams spend endless money on them, have different teams commit to them to varying degrees at different stages of the season and then go "jk haha we keep the old cars" ... how would Haas think about your suggested solution, i wonder?
You assume much. What privilege are you harnessing to do that?

And yes, Convergence on perfect under stable rules has ALWAYS shown the closest racing, and the New Rule ones, much less so.
Last edited by Zynerji on 20 Jun 2021, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.

JPower
JPower

Absolutely not.

Besides, every team has probably already spent tens of millions and thousands of hours of development on the new cars. They are going to see it through regardless.

Zynerji

JPower wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 19:38
Absolutely not.

Besides, every team has probably already spent tens of millions and thousands of hours of development on the new cars. They are going to see it through regardless.
Sell the designs to IndyCar.

El Scorchio

No. They can’t mess around with that now unless the pandemic goes nuts again. Decisions with ramifications for both this year and next have already been made. Mercedes could have put much more focus onto this year’s car and could be handsomely winning the championships, given what they have said about development or lack of.

Likewise for other teams the standings could be different.