How to decide success of sprint qualifying?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ispano6

Re: How to decide success of sprint qualifying?

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 02:11
MattWellsyWells wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 15:01
I also can't imagine anyone is going to risk driving flat out and racing hard for 17 laps when there is a huge amount of risk to your race on Sunday and very little reward.
These are racing drivers, it doesn't always work out that way. ;)

An optimistic lunge up the inside from Tsunoda or the like, will soon provide some action.
Yes, I can see Bottas, Leclerc, Norris, and Sainz driving aggressively to get the most out of the sprint and Max and Lewis driving defensively or evasively to avoid being taken out and having their races compromised. Toto did say they'll be back in the fight if Max has another DNF. It could literally look like the last part of Baku with a yellow or a red toward the end of the sprint race.

adrianjordan

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 21:58
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 21:24
I think success will be judged by how many Yanks tune in and make "OMG!" comments on Twitgram.

The whole thing feels USA to me.

(With apologies to our resident real F1 fans from the USA.)
Pitstop cheerleaders anyone?
"Ready? OK. Gimme me a..... Oh, they're gone already...." 🤣 🤣
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 09:59
jjn9128 wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 21:58
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 21:24
I think success will be judged by how many Yanks tune in and make "OMG!" comments on Twitgram.

The whole thing feels USA to me.

(With apologies to our resident real F1 fans from the USA.)
Pitstop cheerleaders anyone?
"Ready? OK. Gimme me a..... Oh, they're gone already...." 🤣 🤣
Blue pop-poms on the corners?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

A thought occurs. Has the British gp been chosen for this experiment because c4 have live coverage this weekend. That way they can say fan engagement was up 4 fold or whatever the boost will be from f1 being on free-to-air in its biggest market... perhaps over cynical?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Sieper

I hate it already, where is my FP1? Come on, I need my shot of F1 watching.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

It was like any ordinary quali session. those in the fastest cars will be at the front.

Likewise the race. Those with the faster equipment will lead and win. this format will only work when all cars are equal.

notsofast
notsofast

The first few laps were fun. If F1 really wants to do something with this format, they should bring Q1 and Q2 back to Saturday, and then replace the 12-minute Q3 with a 12-minute sprint for the top 10 finishers from Q2. Simply start the parade lap from the pits and then a standing start. An extra benefit would be a lower risk in cases such as Perez today, which means the drivers can take more chances in the sprint.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

The qualifying format is the last thing that should be changed in F1.

jjn9128

Well as predicted the fans apparently love it. Not sure who Brawn asked because the reactions I've seen have all been a bit tepid. For me 4/10. Just a bit 'meh' nothing more nothing less. Mark Webber summed it up best "it wasn't phenomenal."
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 20:50
Well as predicted the fans apparently love it. Not sure who Brawn asked because the reactions I've seen have all been a bit tepid. For me 4/10. Just a bit 'meh' nothing more nothing less. Mark Webber summed it up best "it wasn't phenomenal."
I hate Liberty Media even more for putting Ross Brawn in charge of F1. Coming up with the new awful-looking cars, sprint race for qualifying, blah blah blah 🤦🏻
That half an hour felt like two hours, and the only thing that kept me amused was Fernando Alonso. He single-handedly carried that borefest.
Last edited by Morteza on 17 Jul 2021, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

OK, I'll start it
Fail. 1
add a number when you vote

Jolle
Jolle

I do kinda like the “three day match” idea. Don’t know if the Saturday now is the best solution. But felt a bit like the old two day qualifying from years back.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

I enjoyed it, I guess F1 purists will hate it. But if it brings new fans into the sport ? Then I'm all for it. If F1 doesn't get new younger fans then the sport will
die slowly over time. I think we need to see at least one or two sprint races next year with the new cars. If they can race closer than currently, then it might
add the extra something Webber thought was missing. I'd rather F1 tried new ideas, than rigidly sticking to set ideas that might not themselves
be working too well. I think we are in for a few years of Liberty media tinkering with the format that proceeds the race.
At the end of the day however a driver achieves pole position, they still have to win the race. Which is the important part of
the grand prix weekend.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 20:59
I do kinda like the “three day match” idea. Don’t know if the Saturday now is the best solution. But felt a bit like the old two day qualifying from years back.
I liked the race, but not as a grid decider. It took the edge off qualifying, as 'qualifying for the mini race' still gave another chance, and it removes the tyre variable.

As I said previously, it would be good for 'spare drivers' in 'spare cars'

jumpingfish

I think they should start the race according to the results of the qualification, not the sprint. It would also be better to make the sprint shorter, 10 laps, so the tires do not have time to degrade, and also give points not only to the first three drivers. Perhaps reduce the number of points, but give them to more drivers. Or give points only to constructors 8)