Could the threat of litigation effect F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Could the threat of litigation effect F1?

Rodak wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 22:28
Yeh, you can not sign away your rights to protection you would expect.
We took my FF1600 VanDiemen out to Seattle International Raceway (now called Pacific Receway) for a test session. I paid my money and signed their waiver, we got the car ready and I drove a slow observation lap. When I came out of the last turn where the road course joins the drag strip there was a chain across the track, which I saw and stopped. If I had been going at speed I would have been a dead man.

I was pretty pissed at the track for leaving that chain up and went into the office to complain and suggest they had a little bit of responsibility to keep the track safe; they just sort of looked at me like I was stupid and shrugged their shoulders without any sort of apology. After all, I had signed the waiver absolving them of any responsibility. They certainly would have lost a big lawsuit.
I'm sure you preferred it that way though :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Rodak wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 22:28
Yeh, you can not sign away your rights to protection you would expect.
We took my FF1600 VanDiemen out to Seattle International Raceway (now called Pacific Receway) for a test session. I paid my money and signed their waiver, we got the car ready and I drove a slow observation lap. When I came out of the last turn where the road course joins the drag strip there was a chain across the track, which I saw and stopped. If I had been going at speed I would have been a dead man.

I was pretty pissed at the track for leaving that chain up and went into the office to complain and suggest they had a little bit of responsibility to keep the track safe; they just sort of looked at me like I was stupid and shrugged their shoulders without any sort of apology. After all, I had signed the waiver absolving them of any responsibility. They certainly would have lost a big lawsuit.
I don't know how your country works in that respect, but here that is great neglect and will not be covered by a waver. Actually, in the Netherlands, wavers are useless. You keep the responsibilities in your ability to provide a safe track in this case, or not have your coat nicked at the wardrobe at a bar, etc etc.

RZS10

What do we put our money on?

a) That this will just as much go to court as Mercedes protested Red Bull in Baku.
b) That this will go to court depending on the results of the next races.
c) That this will go to court.

Big Tea

RZS10 wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 00:57
What do we put our money on?

a) That this will just as much go to court as Mercedes protested Red Bull in Baku.
b) That this will go to court depending on the results of the next races.
c) That this will go to court.
Press only. Social media bomb in particular.
If it does go any further no team with a legal department will ever race against them.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123

the EDGE wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 20:13
When Redbull talk of employing lawyers, I believe they mean to take it to the FIA appeals procedure. Not a civil court

It’s not money they are after, it’s a harsher penalties for Lewis Hamilton. No civil court in the world can take points away from Lewis

The council isn't going to do anything as the stewards, organizers and race directors followed proper procedure. There also isn't any clear unsportsmanlike behavior, or intentional behavior from Lewis' side.

Now if Lewis was shown to clearly steer into Max, then they would have a case.

A protest will do nothing other than make them look even more pathetic.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

Sooo.. What will be the charges pressed? Wreckless driving on a race track? Or attempted murder? Lol.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ispano6

Jolle wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 20:48
bit off topic, today I read a quote from Horner that Leclerc was lucky that Hamilton didn't crash into him on their overtake.

Mercedes could well build a case for slander pretty soon...
Same could be said about Mercedes/Hams comments on tire pressures and Honda's performance upgrades.

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 18:24
Sooo.. What will be the charges pressed? Wreckless driving on a race track? Or attempted murder? Lol.
Inappropriate celebrations.

Thoughtless champagne spraying.

Drawing a line.

:lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 19:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Drawing a line.

I heard Lewis aimed the Cork from the champagne at the Red Bull Racing Motor home and had replaced it with a rocket grenade and the bottle was actually a mortar and Lewis had hired a hit man to take out all the other drivers.

Of course this was from Christian Horner, so read into it what you will....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Gettingonabit

adrianjordan wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 22:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 19:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Drawing a line.

I heard Lewis aimed the Cork from the champagne at the Red Bull Racing Motor home and had replaced it with a rocket grenade and the bottle was actually a mortar and Lewis had hired a hit man to take out all the other drivers.

Of course this was from Christian Horner, so read into it what you will....
:D Time this thread was closed I think