Track wetness indicators

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mzso

Re: Track wetness indicators

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 23:35
The day light is good and the water is less but the pattern is similar.

I can do an overlay. Or you can look at the angle of spray as it leaves the ground behind the tyre
By the looks of it the quantity and dispersal of the spray is lots less than F1, so the pattern is of little meaning.

Mostly just shows that F1 would be better off with enclosed wheels, by this regard as well.

mzso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 14:56

My stance is that sports car/ protoype fenders will not change much at racing speeds because the angle the spray leaves the contact patch is shallow as eveidenced by my photo.
Except the video that you linked, where you can see the cars in action instead of contrived still photos contradicts you completely. Much less spray than F1 standards on a very wet track like that.
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 18:52
The wetness indicator is so that drivers can lower their speed below the hydroplaning speed of the tyre.
The device for that is and should be the drivers' senses for it, in this regard no different from dry racing.

PlatinumZealot

mzso wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:27
PlatinumZealot wrote:

My stance is that sports car/ protoype fenders will not change much at racing speeds because the angle the spray leaves the contact patch is shallow as eveidenced by my photo.
Except the video that you linked, where you can see the cars in action instead of contrived still photos contradicts you completely. Much less spray than F1 standards on a very wet track like that.
How? Read my post explaining ambient lighting, and amount and of rain on visibility and then explain to me in specific terms what you mean. Note that the day is better lit than Spa, the rain has reduced, and the specific points on the track have different amounts of water So put those elements together and say what problem you have because what you say is very vague.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mzso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 21:25
mzso wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 20:27
PlatinumZealot wrote:

How? Read my post explaining ambient lighting, and amount and of rain on visibility and then explain to me in specific terms what you mean. Note that the day is better lit than Spa, the rain has reduced, and the specific points on the track have different amounts of water So put those elements together and say what problem you have because what you say is very vague.
The mist is a lot better and a lot less of what F1 produces on a track like that, irrespective of lighting.

maxxer

I live in Belgium and been in this weather.
It is not just about the track but it is like being inside the cloud itself so it doesnt matter how wet the track is but the air is already so humid
Not like Zandvoort which is near the seaside and has wind always and not so much humidity in the air
Dont know about all the other tracks on the calender but Spa is Spa