How to get in the paddoc??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

flynfrog wrote:i have also learned if you are wearing a fire suit you can go almost any where at a race track

this is espcialy true if there is a support series with the padock close to where you want to go simply walk in like you are suposed to be there

option b have a timing board with some watches on it and act like you are in a hurry

a radio head set works well for this

also try to learn a security gurads name maybe over hear some one talking to him

then as you walk by say Hi (name here) he will wonder where he knows you from long before you get stopped

not all of these will work with f1 but some of my ususal methods
None of these are going to work in F1. In a lesser formula, they might.

In F1, you have to contend with the fact that not only do you have to get past multiple layers of security including well trained, well paid types who are good at their jobs, but you also have to get past machines that everybody including the drivers, team bosses, and even Max and Bernie must present their chipped passes to. Then you have to deal with the fact that even once you are in, people are very good at playing close attention to whom is in the wrong place. Heck, I've seen Bernie Ecclestone himself grab a credentialed photographer who was in an area he wasn't supposed to be in, and drag him away...

fwa2500 wrote:another way is if you have 'connections'.....though, usually something stupid happens and you forget to ask them if they can hook you up with a pass.....for example, my dad happens to know Sam Posey (through architecture, not racing) and we completely spaced out on that link when we went to indy for the GP......oh well....
Yep, as I said previously, connections and money are the only thing that are going to get you into F1's hallowed grounds.

Not sure how far Posey would've gotten you though, guest passes aren't exactly given out like candy in F1, and Speed aren't even the host broadcaster for their own grand prix any more (FOM produces the feed nowadays, and Speed just do a few "meet the driver" kind of events and layer their own commentary over FOM's footage).

Now, if you had connections to a current driver / team boss / publicly recognized name at one of the teams, or a well-known politician / actor / sportsman / whatever in the country where the race was held, you could probably get in with them.

If you have good connections with a team sponsor they can get you in, too - but they'll have to pay on your behalf (thousands of bucks for a race weekend), and you'll get into the paddock club plus for an hour or so each day, the pit lane - but you'll still find your level of access very restricted compared to the VIPs.

jaslfc

i got a friend who goes every year for the f1 paddock in sepang.He gets the pass from his dad who is a prominent businessman in Malaysia. I have been trying to get a pass frm him but till now i have failed.He has told me he rather go to the grandstand than the paddock on raceday coz u wont enjoy the race. It is worth-it if u get to go on friday and saturday

jaslfc wrote:i got a friend who goes every year for the f1 paddock in sepang.He gets the pass from his dad who is a prominent businessman in Malaysia. I have been trying to get a pass frm him but till now i have failed.He has told me he rather go to the grandstand than the paddock on raceday coz u wont enjoy the race. It is worth-it if u get to go on friday and saturday
Believe me, if you get the chance to watch a race from the paddock, go for it. It is the experience of a lifetime...

I've had Ferraris doing pitstops under extreme pressure, literally ten feet below the soles of my shoes, looking down on them from the paddock club. You just can't beat that adrenaline. (Not to mention the paddock area is loaded with timing screens, TVs, etc. that let you understand the race better than ordinary fans, and generally has a grandstand nearby with a great view that is only for those in the paddock area, not general fans).