Driver shootout: who is the best?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Well, actually, if you would put Schumi, Sena, Prost in the same car, at the top of their carreers (i know, cant be done, but just immagine that we have some kind of timemachine :lol: ) Schumi would probably win.

(btw, im not mentioning Montoya, Ralf, Kimi, or Villeneuve, because they just arent at the same level as Schumi and the rest [mentioned above], i know they are good, and could be the next WC's, but not yet, and not while Schumi is around)

Anyway, y do i think Schumi would win? Because, Schumi (unline some others suggest, in the form of, TEAMRULES, and other crap like move away hes coming????) had some hard opponents, cuz back in the days you had 10 drivers, 1 or 2 true champions, and 10 morons driving around, so it HAD to be the one simply because no1 else was good enough.
Now im not saying that it was always like this, but most of the time, there was just 1 or 2 TRUE champs, and some OTHER drivers, just playing ALONG.

You guys have to stop wanking on Schumi, but I prolly know why, and it is also just normal human behaviour to bash on the most succesfull, it has always been like that (look at M. Jackson, lol)

And I just want to say, that im not a Schumi fan, by far from that, im a Hill fan, so i could prolly just shoot Schumi :P , but i just say what i think he deserves, he IS the greatest at the moment, and he WILL be one of the greatest ever, if not THE greatest ever, and im talking bout a LOOONG LOOOOOOONG time from now.

NickT

:-k Hmmm.... Interesting thought.

Cars were also a lot different and a lot less consistent than today Senna, Schumi and Prost all had/have different circumstances - technology, tyres, cars, engines and gearboxes.

Prost was well known for taking a couple of laps to get going, nursing his tyres, carrying braking into the corner and good corner speed. But he was a great thinker, and he would build his races and his season. The Professor!

Schumi goes right from the start all the way to the finish, in laps, out laps, pit lane - always at the limit. What he has done with Ross and Rory and Jean at Farrari is an epic achievement. He is also incredibly talented at the limit.

Senna though was similar to them both. He hated the gizmos, saying the took away his natural advantage as a driver and pure racer. But he was very astute and very very good at setting up a car. I think he had more aggression and natural confidence than Schumi and he certainly rose to the challenge when pressure was applied. His ability at the limit was astounding. I remember the race at Donnington Park in the wet, with no traction control, where he just drove past everyone!

If the cars are running some where between then and now, in terms of technology and tyres and they are racing straight out of the box. Then Schumi will just have it from Senna and Prost will come in third. Fastest lap, well that could go to anyone of them. However if they are allowed time to dial in their cars and adjust to their new surroundings then I think Senna will take it from Schumi and Prost will be an even closer third.

Senna and Schumi racing for the Championship, on equal points in the final round? You know it has to be Senna every time :mrgreen:

PS Damon Hill fan to. Considering his age and experience - he didn't start racing on four wheels until his 20s - the pressure Williams put him under - he knew he had been dropped by the team - he did a fantastic job in taking the fight to Schumi and finally winning the championship majestically, fairly and in the wet at Suzuka =D>
NickT

Steven
Owner

first of all... find you another favourite maybe, because Hill ain't driving anymore ;) ... he's rocking all over the place with a beard and his guitar :lol:

Second, given the idea that you put all the champions from F1 in one and the same car, that they can adjust to their likings. I mean, maybe give them a nissan world series car.

I would have to admit Schumi might do well from the beginning on, but having all to adapt a little, I don't think he would do very good at all. My first thoughts on this would probably be the following ranking (let's just say for one flying lap, to just note the speed, and not race intelligence and stuff... those are other driver's specialties then:

1. Ayrton Senna
2. Mika Hakkinen
3. Gilles Villeneuve
4. Jacques Villeneuve
5. Nigel Mansell

This is just a one-lap ranking for me personally.. you may be surprised, but these guys have all really impressed in qual especially

Monstrobolaxa

PS Damon Hill fan to. Considering his age and experience - he didn't start racing on four wheels until his 20s - the pressure Williams put him under - he knew he had been dropped by the team - he did a fantastic job in taking the fight to Schumi and finally winning the championship majestically, fairly and in the wet at Suzuka =D>
Some Damon Hill fan.....well....Damon Hill was dropped in 1996.....the year that he faught fairly in the wet with Schummy, in Japan was in 1994.......He was pressured by Williams in 1995.......and in 1996, after knowing he'd been sacked by Williams he won the Championship....and Jaques was runner-up......

Well....at least by reading your post I understood that he faught with schummy after being sacked and won the championship.

Any questions about Damon...ask me....member of his fan club for 4 years ;) heheheh

[/img]

NickT

1. Ayrton Senna
2. Mika Hakkinen
3. Gilles Villeneuve
4. Jacques Villeneuve
5. Nigel Mansell
Generally maybe but I would move Mansell up closer to Ayrton, they had some ding dong qualifying battles.

Monstrobolaxa, I may not have all the facts and figures to hand and be able to quote them verbatim as you can, but I was and still a huge fan of Damon, he just goes to show what good honest hard work can achieve.
NickT

Senna #1

Right, the top drivers ever:

1. A. Senna
2. J. Fangio
3. J. Clark
4. A. Prost
5. M. Schumacher
6. J. Stewart
7. G. Villeneuve
8. S. Moss
9. N. Mansell
10. T. Nuvolari
11. J. Trulli!

Senna had the grit, the speed, the intensity.
Fangio was the master of his time... you can't really compare him to a modern driver.
Jim Clark was just sheer brilliance.
Alain Prost was a great driver but not expressive in the cockpit.
Schumacher is a great driver... but has always had the best car.
Jackie Stewart was a legend.
Gilles Villeneuve definately overshadows his son!
Stirling Moss has to be the most unfortunate man never to have won a world championship.
Mansell was a great driver but as his touring car exploits show... not the best.
Tazio Nuvolari was the original Italian Stallion... the Prancing Horse personified.
Jarno Trulli is the man!

and raikonen ? (only the best at the moment)

Mclaren11

1) Schumi
2) Senna
3) Hakkinen
4) Prost
5) Fangio
6) Stewart
7) McLaren
8) Mansell
9) Andretti
10) Coulthard

Irvingthien

I certainly agree with Guest, Raikkonen has been consisitent all season, which Shcumi and Montoya didn't have.(Altough he did make a few mistakes too). However,his championship hopes has been let down by the pace and reliability of the 17D. I think Senna is the best. I think he came second in the title race in 93 with a underpowered McLaren Cosworth. He even won a few races too.

joseff

My pick:
1. Ayrton Senna
2. Juan Manuel Fangio
3. Gilles Villeneuve
4. Tazio Nuvolari

Rest in peace, all of you. In that great paddock in the sky :)

That's it, I can't think of enough names to fill 10 spots. And I'm sorry I just can't cough up enough respect for those still with us today :P

NickT: Are you sure that Senna´s Mclaren @ Donnington in -93 didnt have Traction Control because Im quite certain that his Mclaren did have TC.

TractionControl and ABS and Active Suspension wasnt banned until -94 I believe.

/ Fx

TD
TD

Shumi for mine... even over Clark Brabham and the rest. This guy drives with his head as much as his heart and feet/arms. Can anyone tell me when ever Shumi is behind the pact, when he EVER GAVE UP hope !!! ( baring mechanical problem and well even then I remember him wining driving a car with one cylinder dead in the rain and winning)

I for one cannot remember such a situation and this is the true meaning of the saying " TO FINISH FIRST -- FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH " THAT'S why IMHO Shumi is the BEST

Anonymous wrote:NickT: Are you sure that Senna´s Mclaren @ Donnington in -93 didnt have Traction Control because Im quite certain that his Mclaren did have TC.

TractionControl and ABS and Active Suspension wasnt banned until -94 I believe.

/ Fx
I think McLaren didn't have traction control, whereas the Benetton B193 did. It had to do with one being Ford's "factory" team whereas the other one wasn't, in favor of Benetton. It wasn't a case about the rules. It could be the other way around; I forget

Racer-X

SENNA...... Forever !

uzael

I watched F1 decade on the speed channel, they said that the Mclaren had TC but Benetton didn't. However the Ben was using a step 7 Ford V8, whilst McLaren were only using step 5. Apparently Mac had developed traction control systems on their own without ford's help, but this system was very hard on the gnines themselves and ford made quite a fuss over it, saying Mac would be charged extra if they blew the engines up. RD wasn't fazed and the TC allowed Senna to easily smoke the rest of those fools in the rain. Although even with TC, Senna managed to easily whoop up on the williams boys who had a ton more grip and 50 more hp. A remarkable drive!
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "