Nick Heidfield to test for Jordan

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Irvingthien

Nick Heidfield to test for Jordan

Just seen on many sports and F1 websites that Nick Heidfield will be testing for the Jordan team in Jerez.I hope Jordan can get the Mercedes engines.It's cheaper and better than Cosworths.

NickT

Its an interesting point Irvingthien has made :-k The Jordan, Heidfield and Mercedes combination would be a better than the one with Ford :!:

Mercedes are not only cheaper \:D/ , but they will raise Jordan's prestige and give them a little more marketing power \:D/ The engine was certainly more reliable than the Ford unit they had last year. :-({|= Nick O:) as well as being German (obviously!) brings speed and experience at a lower cost than Fisi 8) leaving the way clear for a paying driver in the second seat. :mrgreen:
NickT

Steven
Owner

Well I don't know about the lower cost though, but he is a good driver for sure.
However, I don't very much like him. I somehow not like drivers that aren't doing well in the first couple of years in F1. Secondly, Fisi is in my point of view a better driver, more passionate and will sell more merchandising products for the team than with Heidfeld

NickT

I agree with Tomba about Nick and Fisi, Fisi would run rings around him on and off the track. But Nick is still a reasonable driver for Jordan with his experience and abilitity to keep the car on the road and pick up any points that may be up for grabs.
NickT

Irvingthien

Nick also has connection with Mercedes. He drives for them in F3000 in '99
and also a McLaren test driver that year. Perhaps he can help Jordan secure the deal. Plus, he comes cheap too, he said he only wanted to drive in F1 no matter how much he is paid. Te only problem is that Ford won't cancel their contract.

NickT

Jordan should include a reliability clause in their contract with Ford :?

How about 3 failures in a season and no refund, 4 or more then Ford have to pay Jordan US$1,000,000 for each blow up :lol: I am sure some one out there can calculate what Jordan would have eventually paid for their engines last year under this system :?: :lol:

Tell you what, it would certainly focus the collective minds of of those engineers at Cosworth :twisted:
NickT

Steven
Owner

don't know if that would do much good, since engineers at Ford would have just decreased maximum revs. That would have left jordan with an engine that is maybe another 50 hp less powerful

akbar21881

why do they need to test heidfeld???he's a proven driver that never been bad except in his prost year!!!

hope he will get a drive.its a pity to see a driver like him getting no drive..

Irvingthien

I just heard from the news that Nick Heidfield has signed for Jordan for a drive next year.But he will be earning less than his wages at Sauber. I'm glad for both Heidfield and Jordan.I see that there also a new race and test engineer at Jordan. The only thing i don't know is who is the technical director.Gary Anderson has went into "semi" retirement and i heard that Henri Durand has left the team...