The Greatest "Rainmaster"?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
soundwave

I would pick Schumacher. That race in spa when everyone changed to wets and he was still on slicks a was still able to keep up the pace....a true master. 8)

Tom

Stefan Bellof. 20th to 3rd in a grossly outpaced Tyrell, Monaco 1984. And in only 31 laps.

(Although I believe he was disqualified from the season along with Brundle for irregular radiator filling, i.e. ball bearings)
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

wazojugs

over the history of F1 it has to be Senna followed by schumi and alonso for the current day drivers, his move on schmacher in hungary was excellent!

remember that in 93 senna had a very trick traction control system in the mclaren so it was not any surprise to see him ovetake everyone

Keir

Re: The Greatest "Rainmaster"?

On the subject of Pryce, has anyone else read 'the lost generation'? Brilliant book, I couldn't put it down.

On the subject of Schumacher. I was at that race in Belgium in 1995 at Blanchiment. His commitment on a wet track at 'big' speeds on slicks was amazing. But I think Barcelona 1996 in that shed of a Ferrari was even better.

Ciro Pabón

G-Rock wrote:...It was like he knew something about the coeffiecient of friction in the wet that no one else knew...
Actually, I don't think driving in the rain is that hard (in karts!). I'm good at it, if I can say so. :oops: I tend to slide the kart and that's good on wet tracks. And, man, does it rain hard in Bogotá...

"Da rulez" are simple:

- Stay off the rubber (remember Senna at Donnington '93? well, if you were too young, look it in http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/feature ... don931.mpg Look how fast he is, by driving outside the line...)
- Stomp on the brakes on the entrance (don't slow too much or this won't work!)
- Turn the wheel like you're going to bend the steering rods
- Put your weight on the front of the car
- And finally (for latinos): shake that ass! (at the moment of the slide, or slightly before, it's just like dancing...)

That's it. More explanations? Here (and everywhere, if you look around, but I like this site).

Be careful. Don't do it with a borrowed kart (the first times). There is a big chance of the external front wheel not "biting" and sliding straight... so, do it on a place where, if this happens, you're not going to crash into something at the end of the straight.

Once you master it, it's exhilarating. Everybody swears you're better or more corageous. That's not true: it's a matter of practicing. You have to go to the track when it's raining! A lot of people look out the window, see the rain pouring and says: "today is not a good day to race". Quite the contrary... Of course, use your worst overall: it's going to get smelly. :) Ah, and don't leave any area of your body without cover: I drove once almost three hours under the rain in a T-shirt and my arms were reddened for an entire week. Raindrops hit hard, believe me.

As for who's the best... duhhhh. We all know that the best driver in the world is the World Driver Champion... what do the championship proves? That. Go, Alonso! (yes, I know Frenchblock posted it ages ago, but I like it).

Master of the wet (when in diapers, of course ;))
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 10 Feb 2007, 03:42, edited 3 times in total.
Ciro

Carlos

It seems to me, the French drivers gracefully dominate the category of "Rainmaster" Jean Pierre Beltoise, Oliver Panis, Jackie Ickx, Alain Prost and Stefan Bellof. Most of these masters showed their best wet weather form at either Monaco or the Nurburgring. Interestingly 3 of these are also legendary sports car drivers. It was a pleasure to see Tom Pryces's name included in this group and appearing on the Forum. I would also include the savagely aggressive, hard charging Jean Alesi, - he certainly was a master in the wet. Several of these drivers were also motorcycle racers. Stefan Bellof was of course - German. Many have said that, had he lived, he might have been as successful as other German Champions from today and the mythic past of Gran Prix greatness. Several of these men also excelled at water soaked Dutch Gran Prix's.

Oh yes, I do remember Jackie Ixkx was Belgian. Isn't French an official language there? :wink:

I have also just learned that Ciro is a very good cart pilot, in the wet, even if he does say so himself - who could doubt him?

I mean't karts - Ciro. Glad you share the capital characteristic of humour. :wink:

Only dancing? Only for Latinos? :wink:

Ted68

Another bump for Bellof here. I honestly feel if he hadn't been killed driving a Porsche in a sportscar race, we would be talking about him as one of the all-time greats. Had he lived, Senna would have had some serious competition from more than just Prost. As Tom mentioned his Tyrrell drive at Monaco, he also took his underpowered Tyrrell 012 to a hard fought close 4th at Detroit with a slipping clutch keeping his DFV powered car from the podium on only the last half lap and still beating Ferrari and Renault Turbos. A great driver.

manchild

soundwave wrote:I would pick Schumacher. That race in spa when everyone changed to wets and he was still on slicks a was still able to keep up the pace....a true master. 8)
If that single race makes him rain master than Jean Alesi is much more of a rain master than Schuey. Alesi did more-less similar thing and from last position overtook whole field (can't remember the race/year it was in mid 90s).

When mentioning Senna, it is not only Donington, don't forget Monaco 1984 (his first F1 race in Monaco and on wet) and Portugal 1985.

As I've suggested make a statistics - number of starts in wet races vs. crashes/DNF and compare such statistics for Senna and Schuey (if you dare).

waynes

PNSD wrote:
JB's wet weather and mixxed conditions performance is by far better than most on the grid, bar Alonso, and MS imo.

JB has a great fee for grip, and his smooth style is perfect.
agreed, Jenson is unbeliveably fast in the wet, possibly down to his smooth style, maybe he just adapts quicker to the conditions

either way, its still the great Ayrton Senna #1
whiplash wrote:There is no argument for me Senna was the rainmaster
thats right matey!! :D

PNSD

Agreed, i did forget to mention that yes, Senna was the greatest in the wet.

zenvision

Out of the current field, probably Kimi, Jenson and Alonso are the best in the wet. Neither are rainmasters, Alonso crashed out in Brazil 03, as did Jenson, while on the other hand Kimi crashed in Hungary. On the other hand, they showed what they are capable of as did Alonso and Jenson in Hungary this year and Kimi did in Shanghai and Brazil 03. Also I think Fisico and Rubens are strong drivers in the rain when they are on it. Sadly, rain grand prix these days a few and far. Hopefully FIA realised what spectacle does the rain provide and move some races more closer to rainy seasons.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Jason

Senna, of course, his opening lap in Donington 1993 was stunning!!! He managed 4 passes, one of them was against former Mclaren team mate Alain Prost. Fantastic! :)
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

DaveKillens

Rudolf Caracciola, Jackie Ickx

whiplash

We have seen some stunning wet weather drives form various drivers over the years Senna & Rubens 94 Donnington Sumi 96 Spain Damon Hill 95 Suzuka Jenson and Alonso Hungary last year but how much is it down to having the right setup on the car for the conditions.

Ciro Pabón

DaveKillens is right (as usual :)). I have to complement his answer, for those not familiar with Mr. Caracciola abilities:

- Rudolf Caracciola won the first German GP at Avus in 1923. He stalled the car on the grid and started last of 44 cars. Conditions were so bad that a car crashed on a timekeeper stand, killing him. Caracciola took the lead at mid race and his car started to misfire. In those days, drivers were required to attend his car personally. He cleaned the 8 spark plugs and returned to the track and won.

In 1929 he competed in the Tourist Trophy. He departed from the pits after 5 laps were completed, under heavy rain. He won the 30 laps race!

- Jacky Ickx, "Monsieur LeMans", got his first victory in 1968 under the rain in the French GP at Rouen.

He had impressed the entire field the previous year, when ran in an F2 car at Nürburgring 1000 km. He qualified 3rd, despite having a less powerful car. Regulations forced him to depart after the entire F1 field. He was in 5th position in lap 12, overtaking 12 F1 cars!

It is a legend that he finished in 4th position in Nürburgring in 1968, under the rain, without a helmet visor.

Curiously, he was the race director at Monaco in 1984 and he red flagged the race when Ayrton Senna was catching Alain Prost and Stefan Bellof (another huge candidate for better-under-the-rain-driver, as Tom points out) was catching both.
Ciro