is Lewis the best ever rookie?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
icef1mkd
icef1mkd

is Lewis the best ever rookie?

I really need to know if someone before Lewis has had the same or similar results in his first two, three races?

thank you in advance
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

tomislavp4

Well I´m going to leave the others to answer...

Just want to say that it´s good to have another member from Macedonia :D

Tom

There was Jacque Villeneuve, he got pole for his first race and retired from first, but he'd had years of close racing experience in America.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

joseff

Plus Villeneuve had arguably the best car by a country mile... We don't see many rookies popping into top teams, that's why seeing podium rookies is a rarity.

Jamilton matches his double WDC teammate lap for lap. That has to count for something.

3KGT
3KGT

JV was the best rookie ever, finishing his rookie year runner up to his team mate with 78 points, 11 podiums, and 4 victories, all records that stand to this day, maybe Hamilton can break one of them though.

waynes
waynes

forgive the language in this post

ITV-F1 are kissing the lads arse
Formula 1 in general are kissing the lads arse!!!

ITS A --- JOKE!!!!

as an english F1 fan, i am waiting for Lewis to win his first race, just so F1 and the associated media can have a collective orgasm

"the great new hope for britsih motorsport"

file under any british name you care to mention

lets look at Mr D. Coulthard - talks a good race, won a few, done --- all since

Mr J Button - Fast as ---, one of the best on the grid, in a --- car, hardly getting a mention

Mr A Davidson - developed the car that handed the above his first GP win

Mr L Hamilton - A very very good driver, won everything he's entered (i might be wrong but then again i dont care) Sat in the second fastest car in F1 and is EXPECTED to be in the position he is in, all this talk fron Ron, talking his chances down are a farce, his team + further sponsorship from companies depend on him doing well

joke

and the british --- media are pissing me right off too

anyway, tear into my above comments, again sorry for the swearing, but im at my wits end listening to the endless collective orgasm that is Lewis Hamilton

EDIT - see what i mean?

In Sunday's show:

* Qualifying review, reaction and grid line-up

* Martin and Mark look at what’s special about Lewis Hamilton’s driving style

* Martin quizzes Lewis about his driving style, his Malaysia race and talks through his P2 qualifying lap

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38926

joke

Spyker MF1

waynes wrote: Mr J Button - Fast as ---, one of the best on the grid, in a --- car, hardly getting a mention

Mr L Hamilton - A very very good driver, won everything he's entered (i might be wrong but then again i dont care) Sat in the second fastest car in F1 and is EXPECTED to be in the position he is in, all this talk fron Ron, talking his chances down are a farce, his team + further sponsorship from companies depend on him doing well

and the british --- media are pissing me right off too
If Button was good enough he would be in one of the best cars but due to him not quite being up to the standards of the drivers in the top few teams he isn't in one of them. Button has had the British press all over him for years and has not delivered the goods. One win took 113 races. Now he has finally got a BAD car he is getting out paced by Barrichello who while being a competant driver isn't exactly WDC material.

The fact Hamilton is in the second best car on the grid shows his potential and skill already in his early career. Although he has had McLaren backing almost his whole career, Ron would not risk a rookie doing crap in one of his cars as it could put him in compromising situations with sponsors. He has already proven he is deserving of a drive with his lap times and podium finishes. He is already close to a possible win this weekend. Now compare a win takes 3 races to 113.

I think the British press have a right to get excited about him as he is obviously the best British talent for quite a while, even if it does become irratating at least they have a reason for it this time
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

manchild
manchild

Re: is Lewis the best ever rookie?

icef1mkd wrote:I really need to know if someone before Lewis has had the same or similar results in his first two, three races?

thank you in advance
If he ends up on a podium in Bahrain statistically he'll become best rookie ever.

Personally, I already see him as best rookie ever. He has got all of the individual qualities of greatest drivers in one package. He simply shines doing his job P E R F E C T L Y so far.

naknak_56

Got to admit I agree with Spyker , I gave up national pride in motorsport in late 92 when Williams got rid of Nige ( I was 12 at the time) but ive got to say that Ive never had any faith in Buttons ability although the press here have been all over him since his 1st race. ( Witch has rilled me on more than one occasion )

Where as Lewis does seem like the real deal as far as is possible to tell from 2 races and a quali session.

I must say that some of his performances last year in GP2 were nothing short of stunning.

BTW this is had for me to admit as he drives the wrong cars for my support :oops: been a red since race 1 '93

Tom

I was at Button's first British GP in 2000 and he overtook Schumie off the start, suddenly Murray was wetting himself, I think he got a point or 2 that weekend. Compare that to Lewis who has overtaken Heidfeld, Alonso, Raikonen and Massa, yet has yet to be overtaken himself! In modern F1 that is stunning! for a rookie to come in and overtake the 4 best drivers of the time inside his first 2 races. but I do wish ITV would leave it at that. His driving style and race craft are good but not worth making a mini documentry on.

He's doing well because he's bloody brave and he's using skills he picked up from karting to GP2 and some F1 stuff he got from Alonso. Most other drivers are only using skills they picked up in F1 and forgetting the rest, so Lewis is taking them by surprise. They'll catch on soon enough but by then he'll have learnt new tricks.

It'll be a while before we see anything like it again, he's damn good, I just wish people would leave him alone because when he doesn't perform he's gonna get alot taken out of him by the press and it'll demoralise him. The British press are incredably good at changing their minds about people and killing their careers.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

waynes
waynes

naknak_56 wrote:Got to admit I agree with Spyker , I gave up national pride in motorsport in late 92 when Williams got rid of Nige ( I was 12 at the time)
same age here, 27 in june so

right here we go

Nigel Mansell - best car won the world championship, and dont tell me that he outdrove everyone

utter bollocks, the car was developed by

Damon Hill - Again world champion, best car, but at least he sorted the car out and got it quick so JV could put himself for a world championship shot

others

J Herbert - "poor johnny herbert" --- off, he was ---

M Blundell - seriously how did that bellend get an F1 drive????

M Brundle - now there's a proper driver and man!! drives a bag of ---, gets a result, then tells it like it is

i seriously think the british people/media need a kick up the arse regarding a decent talent

please dont get me wrong, i think Hamilton is brilliant BUT its the collective orgasm over him that is doing my head in. and although he's in the 2nd best car on the grid, he's seriously giving Alonso ("the best thing since sliced bread" a good spanking - good on him

PS: James Allen is a wanker, i will NOT have the volume turned on when Lewis wins his first race, he ruined Jensons win and quite frankly i like my TV :D

just my opinion, however strong they seem, so i apologise for that

Iciano

Do you have to curse so much?! You can express your opinion just as strongly without...
I really need to know if someone before Lewis has had the same or similar results in his first two, three races?
Giancarlo Baghetti won his first race back in the 50's/60's. I dont think anyone else has managed it, however, if im right, poor ol giancarlo didnt win another race..

checkered

I've seen a fair

share of speculation in the press by now that a driver or two out of the top four qualifiers are going to end up crashing on the first lap. The first corner is a tight one.

Certainly there has already been a "I won't give" - "I won't care" exchange between Massa and Hamilton. All four have pretty much stated that the start is imperative. Alonso may feel he has a thing or two to prove. Any loss of nerve by any of these, and we'll end up with a rather unpredictable podium. I'd rather take a good, clean race anyway.

Lewis is a natural, and he's really doing things even McLaren hardly expected of him just yet. But, I agree, informed enthusiasm is OK, empty hype is off-putting.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

naknak_56

Quite agree with your comments Waynes, being only young i supported the brits because it was the done thing in my house.

O.T
PS: James Allen is a wanker,
Totally agree with that :D many times have I almost launched the TV out of the window in the heat of the moment!!

Also I live 10 min drive form Frome ( Jen's home town ) and the amount of coverage he gets in the local press is most annoying , and that adds to the rage i feel towards the guy!! lol

Anyway back on topic
The British press are incredably good at changing their minds about people and killing their careers.
The british press will be on him like a pace of rabid dogs if he has a couple of bad results and i got to say i dont think anyone deserves that, just hope he doesnt let it get to him , but he seems to have a strong enough character to come through it. ( just not enough to beat the red cars! :wink: )

trinlico
trinlico

waynes wrote:
naknak_56 wrote:Got to admit I agree with Spyker , I gave up national pride in motorsport in late 92 when Williams got rid of Nige ( I was 12 at the time)
same age here, 27 in june so

right here we go

Nigel Mansell - best car won the world championship, and dont tell me that he outdrove everyone

utter bollocks, the car was developed by

Damon Hill - Again world champion, best car, but at least he sorted the car out and got it quick so JV could put himself for a world championship shot

others

J Herbert - "poor johnny herbert" --- off, he was ---

M Blundell - seriously how did that bellend get an F1 drive????

M Brundle - now there's a proper driver and man!! drives a bag of ---, gets a result, then tells it like it is

i seriously think the british people/media need a kick up the arse regarding a decent talent

please dont get me wrong, i think Hamilton is brilliant BUT its the collective orgasm over him that is doing my head in. and although he's in the 2nd best car on the grid, he's seriously giving Alonso ("the best thing since sliced bread" a good spanking - good on him

PS: James Allen is a wanker, i will NOT have the volume turned on when Lewis wins his first race, he ruined Jensons win and quite frankly i like my TV :D

just my opinion, however strong they seem, so i apologise for that
Got to say I'm in a bit of agreement

Have hated how, in the last few years every single ITV programme has centred on how button is doing, and before that DC.

Obviously being the british hope in a sport that is mainly british and being on british telly you would expect button to get a lot of press - but it gets a bit like the tennis and the "british hope", one that I don't think jenson was ever really able to match.

Mansell's WDC statistics in my opinion are unfair, he should have won in 86 and/or 87 when he really was top dog, then had a chance in the ferrari, but only actually managed to win it in a year when he had the best car by a country mile - stirling moss also has unfair WDC statistics

But... lewis hamilton - this guy truly is great, the best rookie in my memory (I'm also 27) even being in a good car, kubicas car isn't too shabby but he's not doing all that great.

Yet I agree that the sycophancy in the british press, esp the ITV coverage is sickening. I saw that after the Australian GP post-race press conference Alonso put hamilton in his place by saying that he wasn't on top pace behind hamilton to protect the car - but the itv pundits (quite how blundell is a voice of authority I've never know) ignored this completely and were almost shouting childlike in alonso's face saying our man was bestest.

It's a big shame because lewis really is --- fantastic, but with bigging up the british hope - I'm afriad for the non F1 geeks like us here - everyone has heard it all before - wrong, becuase this guy deserves the praise...

there - that's my tuppence worth