How to make F1 more attractive?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

The problem is not the fact aerodynamics are the main parameter, the appendices actually manage better air flow, the problem is the restriction on height of front wing that makes the profiles agressive to obtain the downforce and in consequence following car is even more sensible to turbulent air because of the height of his front wing; and the rear wing width and location aft of the rear wheels limitation that again require more agressive profile leading to turbulent air when leaving. Additionaly, rear wing are place very low to minimise drag and maximise wing/diffuser interaction wich creates an upward wash.

So, all in one the problem is how aeros are done, not how much.

Sportscar 3.5L and GTP in 92 had extreme aeros (with agressive ground effect tunnels, diffuser/rear wing interaction, front diffuser, end plates etc..) and they could follow each other easily, and guess what, they used vortex lift a lot.

There's clearly a problem to me about this lack of possibilty for following someone in a corner, but saying "too much aero" is incorrect in my opinion.

Belatti
Belatti

Well, if not sparks then FIRE!!!
That will surely make F1 more attractive

Funnily we have got Johansson again in this picture

Another nice :roll: Johansson pic (WTF is that a rear wing???)
Seems aero exageration is not exclusively from 1990-2005 era
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

Definitively a couple of huge sticky slicks would help!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

freedom_honda

simply fire Max :lol:

Ciro Pabón

Please, don't.

If F1 were more attractive to me (can you improve perfection? I don't think so...) my brain would explode. Maybe it has exploded already... :)
Ciro

Conceptual
Conceptual

I think a few things would make it more attractive...

1. Aero neutrality - I dont care what they use for aero bits as long as it leaves a clean wake behind the car.

2. Open engine regs - Some want V10's, others like myself want sub-1L engines running a hydraulic pump/drive system.

3. Disclosure - Winning car design is shared with all teams at the end of the year. This may upset a few people at first, but would increase overall racing year over year and cut costs dramatically.

4. Slicks - Less grooves means less marbles. Less marbles means cleaner off-line trackspace, in turn leading to more passing attempts.

5. Zero Tolerance - Any rule breach leads to immediate DQ for the season without any BS money making schemes to keep cheaters in the championship hunt while increasing the FIA's wallet.

I'm sure that many will disagree and that is OK with me. I love the innovation that F1 brings to our planet, I just wish that that innovation was production vehicle centric. I am all for race only technology, but would see more real-world adapting of these techs. F1 would be the greatest motorsport on the planet if it not only gave us (the viewers) a heart-pounding spectacle to watch on the weekends and ALSO directly influenced what we drive every day.

The best products are made in an environment of strictly enforced rules, and close competition. Things that F1 lacks an aweful lot of currently.

Chris

Belatti
Belatti

Chris, let me make some comments

1- Its OK as an opinion

2- sub-1L engines running a hydraulic pump/drive system wont work as far as I think (was discussed in another forum) but I agree on the open regs

3- With this rule and me as Team Manager, well, I would reduce 70% my team personel (and costs in a similar way) and just improve last years best designs. That would mean a maybe competitive car with 30% of the budget. Then whats left? All 11 teams doing the same? Who is gonna spend the money and design the car that others will improve and run? FOR ME THIS IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE

4- Slicks create more marbles than grooved tyres

5- OK

Just my opinion :wink:

Belatti
Belatti

EDIT: sorry, posted twice the same :oops:

flynfrog

Conceptual wrote:I think a few things would make it more attractive...

1. Aero neutrality - I dont care what they use for aero bits as long as it leaves a clean wake behind the car.

2. Open engine regs - Some want V10's, others like myself want sub-1L engines running a hydraulic pump/drive system.

3. Disclosure - Winning car design is shared with all teams at the end of the year. This may upset a few people at first, but would increase overall racing year over year and cut costs dramatically.

4. Slicks - Less grooves means less marbles. Less marbles means cleaner off-line trackspace, in turn leading to more passing attempts.

5. Zero Tolerance - Any rule breach leads to immediate DQ for the season without any BS money making schemes to keep cheaters in the championship hunt while increasing the FIA's wallet.

I'm sure that many will disagree and that is OK with me. I love the innovation that F1 brings to our planet, I just wish that that innovation was production vehicle centric. I am all for race only technology, but would see more real-world adapting of these techs. F1 would be the greatest motorsport on the planet if it not only gave us (the viewers) a heart-pounding spectacle to watch on the weekends and ALSO directly influenced what we drive every day.

The best products are made in an environment of strictly enforced rules, and close competition. Things that F1 lacks an aweful lot of currently.

Chris
1. why not just make your car work better in a wake since zero wake is impossible.
2. agree fully
3. This is racing not communism
4. I say bring back slicks and remove all tire regs and allow multiple manufactures then you an make up for lost areo when behind a car with mechanical grip
5. This will never work anybody who races will tell you that every one cheats some get caught. Also the rule book has so many loopholes in it without going to a spec series that creative interpretation can be taken as cheating

I would like to see clear standards for dealing with it

when i raced if you got caught with a cheater motor they took your motor and your points

megz

Supercharged V10's running on methanol. Yes, yes. :o and all liveries checked by F1T so as to get rid of the Renault, the Honda and anything else that's ugly.