Did Hamilton cause the Webber - Vettel crash?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fan Solo

I cant remember where I read this & now cant find it but.....

Hamilton said he was using a particularly hard brake disc compound @ Fuji & the fierce braking he was doing was to keep the discs hot but to avoid glazing them by gentle application of the brakes. Seems logical to me & would also explain why he was doing it all the time.

Im a Super Aguri fan myself so I have no real allegiance to LH other than he is a Brit but his comment in the press conference with regard to the whole year makes me annoyed that probably the best thing to happen to F1 for ages will be driven out by the politics of people who think he shouldnt be there. Thats sad - very sad.

"If this is the way it's going to keep going it's not somewhere I really want to be."

RIP F1
MMIAFN

FLC
FLC

The guy isn't innocent as he would wish to present himself. We've fallen for that before.
It's no one's problem that he chose a certain brake disc. There's a price for making the wrong decisions before and in the race, and he is no different, even if his name is Lewis Hamilton.
If he doesn't want to be in F1 he doesn't have to stay. Not him, nor any other driver or team, will kill F1 because they leave.

Also, this is interesting:
Q. I understand that the FIA instructed your team to tell you not to get too close to Lewis. Why wouldn't the FIA simply inform Lewis to keep a five-car gap between himself and the safety car, as per the rules?

HK: Honestly, you would need to ask Charlie [Whiting] from the FIA. I don't know why. I was surprised to hear from my team that I had a warning from the FIA to not get too close to Lewis. I was surprised, because I didn't feel I was causing any danger to anyone.

Of course when the restart is about to happen I am going to be there every time because I want to try to make a move as soon as I can, and I was trying to be as close as possible to him. But I don't know why no one said anything to Lewis.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63033

I thought it was just a vicious rumor, but I was wrong. It sounds a bit weird.

ben_watkins

Hamilton escapes any punishment - the stewards spoke to all three drivers but no need for any punishment!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 029797.stm

naknak_56

"If this is the way it's going to keep going it's not somewhere I really want to be."
toys out of the cot anybody????

So it wasnt just Webber who was unimpressed by his driving by Kovy also.....
makes you wonder why the stewards have taken so long to catch up with him?
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Fan Solo

Well its all over & we can calm down - even Vettel has had his 10 place penalty replaced by a reprimand!

Every one off scott free - perfect :)

Well done stewards.
Last edited by Fan Solo on 05 Oct 2007, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
MMIAFN

Tom

I don't trust that BBC link, not when every other respectable site has no news of it. It seems odd that the BBC, who don't even show F1, have the information before ITV, f1.com, autosport and the most reliable F1T.

EDIT: OK, BBC beat me to it there, I didn't realise they'd got the info so fast but its on atosport too now. Apologies
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ben_watkins

:lol:

FLC
FLC

Will they publish the full decision? On what basis did they mitigate Vettel's punishment then? Compassion?

axle

Looks like the stewards have come to the right decision to me...
2 rookies and the unluckiest guy in F1 was bound to end in disaster!! :D

No punishment is best, they've all learnt a valuble lesson.
- Axle

scarbs

More inconsistent FIA rule enforcement...

bar555

Can anyone post some Vettel's on board pics just before and after his collision with Webber ? . I think such pics will clear this a little bit .

Fan Solo

http://www.f1technical.net/news/7320

Sorry but as inconsistent the FIA may be, let the stewards & the governing bodies make the decision - it is not the place of the media to decide who is guilty or not as even you may not have all the information.
MMIAFN

checkered

Fan Solo wrote:Sorry but as inconsistent the FIA may be, let the stewards & the governing bodies make the decision - it is not the place of the media to decide who is guilty or not as even you may not have all the information.
I tend to

agree that there's a slight but decisive difference in reporting news and reporting opinion, there's a slight but decisive difference in reporting argumentation and stating an argument. In fact that division, when applied well, makes whatever medium one's using much more effective. Stating opinion as opinion, when well founded, can be very effective and completely acceptable when put in its right context. The simplest rule of thumb might well be that when there's even the slightest doubt whether to post something under "news" or "opinion", then it's always opinion. All news can be referenced somewhere else than the person reporting the news.

Lately there has been the tendency, in politics and business, to "make" one's own news. Material is sleekly produced and delivered for free to news outlets, most of whom post, print or put that material on air "as is". This is no doubt at least partly because of a lack of temporal, human and financial resources to excercise sufficient scrutiny of sources etc. Also, for example, both liberal and conservative media in the US have blurred the news/opinion line (IMHO) and essentially compromised themselves to be purposefully taken advantage of by those who should only be the subjects of news. In the end that position is untenable and it's already showing that that's how newsmakers themselves risk becoming the subject of news later on. This does no favours to the basic function and relevance of news organisations themselves and overall I'd much prefer fewer news if they were produced more independently and with a certain disregard for what every other news outlet/pr firm is doing.

Different news organisations have their codes of ethics and conduct. They're well worth exploring for anyone interested in media, and also of use when pondering the relationship between messageboards, blogs and news, for example. Even strict codes of ethics allow a wide range of expression. E.g. BBC recently casually listing what actions usually have proved effective in peaceful civil uprisings with regard to what events have taken place in Burma. Fully referenced information to be applied as the recipient sees fit. A few examples of such codes (there are many more to be found):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/
http://www.npr.org/about/ethics/
http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

EAKMotorsports

I think one thing Hamilton did that in all the time so we need more videos with safety car period, one time almost Alonso hits Hamilton because Hamilton is stop and go, so I think the stewards need to watch the other times that Hamilton was behind of safety car. On the beginning of the race Button almost collided with some one in safety car period because of the Hamilton is doing stop and go.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

megz

Lewis should be charged with impeding the lap of another driver! :lol: :roll: Well, atleast it'd make the Stewards look better....