If you could change 1 rule in F1 what would it be

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flynfrog

If you could change 1 rule in F1 what would it be

I would have to go with Spec engines that must last 2 races

tomislavp4

Bring slicks back on :wink:

PNSD

slicks, no question.

Ray

Mad Max has to quit. Effective immediately. Never to return.

Tom

I'd call it Formula Tom, but thats not really a rule is it? Allow Movable aero, see air brakes like Mercedes used in 1955.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Militia Est Vita

Hell yeah for slicks, or allowing V10s super charged :twisted:

zenvision

consistency and transparency really. I think that overtaking wasn't bad this year (apart from a few well known circuits), and we won't have TC anymore so I'm fine about the racing side.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Saribro

We need some rules on rule-enforcement really :).
What to do in situations of unclear/inconsistent rules.
Which breaches recieve which penalties.
Some definition/clarification about the spirit of the rules versus the letter of the rules.
No per-track stewards, consistent ruling needs consistent set of people deciding.
Less FIA, more F1.
There's probably more I can think of.

Ogami musashi

Limit Speed Vs safety rather than cutting technology.

Today's ECU can do that.

But that's a set of rules. If one rule then bring back the slicks!

Belatti

200 litres per race, no refueling, any engine you want!

I don´t know if that is 1 rule or 3, but they are linked.

That would allow the following:
1- A lot of uncertainity till the end of the race, you´ll never know who is gonna stop 1 lap before out of fuel!!!
2- Creativity in engine design
3- It is a "green" rule that will enable efficient engines and can be linked with automotive industry, wich is one of the things it needs (efficiency)
4- Different pace from the begining to the end of the race, with fast lap times at the end
5- Balance of the car could change from full to empty, making races more unpredictables
6- Drivers will need to administrate fuel consumption, so the winner will be the faster and more intelligent driver
7- Manufacturers have enought money to pay for development, if they don´t like it, screw them, if they all go away and just one team remains spending what others can´t, redo rules again!!!

Now you can post other benefits from this spectacular rule! :D
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

meves

Saribro wrote:We need some rules on rule-enforcement really :).
What to do in situations of unclear/inconsistent rules.
Which breaches recieve which penalties.
Some definition/clarification about the spirit of the rules versus the letter of the rules.
No per-track stewards, consistent ruling needs consistent set of people deciding.
Less FIA, more F1.
There's probably more I can think of.
I with you, I think the racing has been great and whatever we do to the cars there will still be good and bad cars on the grid. The removal of TC will help but the biggest help will be exactly what Saribro says, rule clarity and penalty clarity including which breaches penalise the driver and which penalise the team.

Oh and maybe one small addition to see Max being put in the stocks at the end of each season with free rotten fruit for all the teams to throw at him. :lol:

jwielage

Rule clarity !!! that is huge. It would be nice if fans felt like rules and penalties were more consistently applied. It really debases the sport greatly when fans feel that politics and bias are effecting the outcomes of races.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

DaveKillens

Teams are allowed only two cars and drivers, and each car must have different sponsorships.
This would kill any team orders crap.

checkered

DaveKillens wrote:Teams are allowed only two cars and drivers, and each car must have different sponsorships. This would kill any team orders crap.
A nice practical solution. Could work, I'd advocate trying it out for a season or two.
Belatti wrote:200 litres per race, no refueling, any engine you want!
I've been pushing for a Joule limit per race for years now. Any universally available commercial automotive fuel allowed, any engine allowed. If lap times go down, next year the Joule limit goes down too in direct proportion to the performance increase.

Refuelling and tyre changes could still be allowed, but any car coming in for either would have to stay stationary for 30 secs or so. Or any other amount of time that would seriously disadvantage pit stops.

Fan Solo

Reword the rule book in plain English! and introduce a team who travel to all races to do all the scruitineering.

Great racing otherwise & can only be improved with TC getting the boot too! roll on 08!
MMIAFN