If you could change 1 rule in F1 what would it be

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban

Belatti wrote:200 litres per race, no refueling, any engine you want!
Agreed! but here's a slight change.

200 litres per race, allow refueling (to make pitstops become something more than repalcing 2 sets of slicks :lol: ), any engine you want!

That's 1 rule!!! :oops:

Ciro Pabón

I would create a College of Referees, independent from FIA, like FIFA has.
Ciro

checkered

Ciro Pabón wrote:I would create a College of Referees, independent from FIA, like FIFA has.
Certainly worth exploring. Recent

events have shown that the benefits of having a permanent steward (while it's an improvement) are negligible when push comes to shove. Teams seldom seem to be content with the stewards' decisions and push their cases aggressively. Also, recent events have shown that many parties to regulatory processes don't see clarity, transparency nor efficiency in dealing with problems as being in their own self-interest.

Do you have a more detailed idea how such a College would work in F1? I immediately tried to explore the FIFA website, but I only got as far as finding a Referees' Committee - link, FIFA; is that the same thing?

Ciro Pabón

Yes, as far as I know, that's it.

Other ideas I have about rules:

- All positions to be elected by direct vote.
- FIA membership only for racers and people that works at suppliers of parts and teams.
- Campaign to create a larger base of drivers, starting at school.
- FIA license gives you special treatment when you get your driver license, perhaps lowering minimum age to get it.
- FIA commits itself to less people killed on roads: all driver training hinges on this statistic.

Some people believe that institutions are more important than the people that composes them. I don't: everything depends on the people, very little on the (transient) rules they have to obey and modify.

I'm sure that if more people participate in the sport, they are elected by merits and the sport is relevant for something, they will put all the proper rules in place, including the many good ones suggested in this thread.

So, if some day people is elected by direct vote, you could say that's the platform of my campaign. :)
Ciro

dumrick

Ciro Pabón wrote:So, if some day people is elected by direct vote, you could say that's the platform of my campaign. :)
Under your conditions for FIA membership, would you even be eligible? :P

ben_watkins

A few ideas for single rules changes

1. Bring back slicks

2. Widen the car track to increase mechanical grip

3. No more "fuel burn" in Q3 - just post race fuel level via secret secure entry to FIA and reduce Q3 to 10 min shootout

4. Get rid of Max Mosely & associated cronies :idea:

5. Even out the number of constructor reps in FIA and WMC

bar555

6.Allow genetics to clone Ayrton Senna and get 3 , one of them for Mc Laren one for Ferrari and one for BMW

Seas

Ground effect and slicks
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/index.html
Croatia, the small country for big relax

m3_lover

Replace Max Mosley with Ciro, that way I know where to go to get some free tickets. Plus Ciro has a great sense of humor so you know he would have interesting stories about F1 if did replace Max Mosley.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

tinhouse

It's tempting to say bring back slicks, but the last thing we need is something else to reduce the differential between straight line and cornering speeds and hence make overtaking even less likely. But something has to be done about tyres. The formula looked dumb anough using grooved tyres even before they introduced that stupid rule about having to use both tyre options in a race.

So slicks would have to go hand in hand with restrictions on aero to reduce cornering speeds and increase straight line speed. Which would probably mean a further reduction in engine power to keep things reasonably safe.

So I couldn't really change just one rule. I think we're done with tweaking the regs, Formula 1 needs to be pulled apart and redesigned from the ground up.

Matt.

Militia Est Vita

I would also try to reduce ticket prices althought this does not concern any technical-car related aspects, I would be very gald if I could go to the Canadian GP for at least 25% off the stupid ticket price.

Ogami musashi

tinhouse:I'm not quite sure your analysis is valid.

There's a million years before all corners can be taken at the same speed that straight line.

Also by virtue of slipstreaming, you can always go faster than your competitor so the probleme stay the same.

Some people ask for slicks, widen track base and reduced aero,that's what's planned for 2009 (Slicks, 2meters width, and 1250Kg max downforce).

checkered

Ciro Pabón wrote:- All positions to be elected by direct vote.
- FIA membership only for racers and people that works at suppliers of parts and teams.
I read this

week's Gordon Kirby feature yesterday (it's mostly about F1, with the championship and all that) and your comments reminded me about something he wrote there and which I found somewhat peculiar. I'd better quote exactly:
Gordon Kirby wrote:Alex Wurz, renowned as a test driver, was comprehensively outpaced by Rosberg and announced his retirement at the end of the season. Some people are campaigning for the thoughtful Austrian to challenge Max Mosley for the FIA's presidency, which might not be a bad idea!
The Way It Is/Raikkonen snares his first world championship. Or does he? - link

I tried to find out who these people advocating Wurz for the FIA precidency are, but came up with nothing. Interesting suggestion, though, even if it seems quite fanciful to even imagine such a thing happening. But there certainly is a wealth of former drivers, engineers and other racing related people around who haven't been too embroiled in FIA/F1 politics to become very impartial leaders of the organisation.

But we'd still need term limits ...

Ogami musashi

I read some time ago that Flavio Briatore is one of the preferred successors for Max mosley.....Hum.

Nelso90

I've got a couple.
A: You get x amount of fuel this race, Design a drivetrain and make it work. V8, V10, V12 (I wish!), two-stroke, four-stroke, diesel, turbo, whatever.
B: Ditch Mad Max, he is a detriment to the sport.
Derp!