Renault in new spy scandal!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

I guess FIA would punish Renault only if there would be proof of usage of McLaren's documents.
However, I believe that it is the "posession" of technical info that must be punished in the first place.
And I believe FIA was wrong not punishing McLaren in the first hearing, that was dangerous precendent because it is really hard to proove that some design is based on rival's ideas. Even being aware of unsecsessful design may help in narrowing of design options.

mcdenife

Timbo, I am afraid that appears to be is in stark contrast to the reporting on this site which appear to imply that mclaren were punished for the behaviour when accused rather than whether or not they (or someone) were in possession of IP material.
ie
The behaviour stands in great contrast with McLaren's actions as several management people knew about their Ferrari information for several months before taking action.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

FLC
FLC

ben_watkins wrote:Lawyers and truthful in the same sentence don't go.

They are never truthful in my opinion - They are there to make themselves money presenting a version of events that may never be close to the truth but may be beliveable. The most believable story told = the winner of the case.
That's exactly my point, that's why I was wondering. This is not a case of telling a more or less believable story, of shaping the facts to one's liking, this is a case of lawyers presenting a case which their client clearly state is not of their interest, in proceedings which they should have known before hand are technically defective.
I don't know who is directly responsible for the last "mistake", be it management, PR or lawyers, but it clearly shows that something is just not working in Woking and it doesn't seem to get any better. I've said this before, for McLaren's name sake only - I wish Mercedes will show some liability.

mcdenife

I wish Mercedes will show some liability.
Why should they if they dont believe they are?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

Principessa

According to sources from Jerez, Renault would have found guilty, but would not receive a heavy penalty! I don't know if these rumours are completely true as there hasn't been issued an official statement, but I wanted to share it with you guys

EDIT: It's official: http://www.f1technical.net/news/7772

uzael

I still think that there is a fundamental difference between the McLaren and Renault spy cases. First let me state that I am no great fan of either team so I try to be as unbiased as possible. Seems to me that Renault will probably face the same original verdict as McLaren.

'Yes you're guilty, but no penalty unless it comes to light you weren't entirely truthful'

McLaren got bit in the ass because it turns out that the coverup in the team was far wider than was led on and that high ranking engineering staff has seen the designs, but said nothing. Regardless of whether those design were used or not, it is ultimately the responsibility of the team to play by the rules. This includes management and the team as a whole being responsible for the actions of all of it's members. If a team tries to sweep illegal or unethical activities under the rug rather than face the possible repercussions, they deserve the harsh penalty that hyperbole demands.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

Rob W

timbo wrote:I guess FIA would punish Renault only if there would be proof of usage of McLaren's documents.
However, I believe that it is the "posession" of technical info that must be punished in the first place.
And I believe FIA was wrong not punishing McLaren in the first hearing, that was dangerous precendent because it is really hard to proove that some design is based on rival's ideas. Even being aware of unsecsessful design may help in narrowing of design options.
This is the sole point which so many people can't seem to get into their heads and which you rightly make: Use of the information is irrelivant. POSSESSION alone of it warrants complete exclusion from F1. Renault admitted their guilt of what, in some ways, is a far worse event than McLaren's.

I cannot see how they aren't being punished and expect McLaren and certainly the level headed Frank Williams to query/protest/appeal the lack of punishment.

A quick look alone at someone else's designs could easily be quantifiable as an advantage in the millions of $ of saved research time. Renault had hundred of drawings on their network which many people viewed in detail and over a period of time. Tens of millions of $ worth of time has been saved on development - not to mention it was completely against all intellectual property laws aside from the rules of F1.

The evidence which has come out of a systematic loading, dissemination and discussion of McLaren's technical data cannot be a more pristine example of how to break the technical rules of F1. The only way you could do a better (or worse) job would be to copy the designs exactly.

Rob W

Sawtooth-spike

So Cheating is ok?

If your not Mclaren? is this the new rule?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

dumrick

uzael wrote:Seems to me that Renault will probably face the same original verdict as McLaren.

'Yes you're guilty, but no penalty unless it comes to light you weren't entirely truthful'
Let's put it into perspective: Renault held McLaren data for a period of about a year, comprising all the time when the "Spygate" was all around the media, preceding and succeeding the period when McLaren effectively held possession of Ferrari data. McLaren installed a firewall and stepped forward to avoid further exchange of information (IT audits and all that). Renault said nothing about having McLaren drawings and passed them around until McLaren formally complained about it. What's truthful in all this?

Tom

Are Mclaren planning to take this any further? Thats how Ferrari came out on top.

Of course they could be smart, save F1s face a bit, not take this case any further and blackmail the FIA into awarding them back some of their original fine for 'services to the sport.'

Clearly enough has happened to throw the sport into even more dissrespute which is certainly not what the FIA needs. Mclaren can hardly lose anything from this and us fans can only gain from keeping this out of the media.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

checkered

Rob W wrote: This is the sole point which so many people can't seem to get into their heads and which you rightly make: Use of the information is irrelivant. POSSESSION alone of it warrants complete exclusion from F1. Renault admitted their guilt of what, in some ways, is a far worse event than McLaren's.
Please specify

where, exactly, possession of another teams IP is explicitly specified as an act that can only lead to complete exclusion. In the McLaren case, the WMSC felt the need to point out that it reserved the right to exclude the team should new evidence warrant it. And may I remind you, that first decision - very similar to what Renault received here - was based on affadavits that did in fact reveal that Coughlan had confided in many ways with several McLaren colleagues that he had Ferrari documents in his possession. That was never in question. Both decisions are based on article 151c of the international sporting code, which doesn't seem to link offences to penalties (specified later in the document in some detail):
151. Breach of rules

Any of the following offences in addition to any offences specifically referred to previously, shall be deemed to be a breach of these rules:

a) All bribery or attempt, directly or indirectly, to bribe any person having official duties in relation to a competition or being employed in any manner in connection with a competition and the acceptance of, or offer to accept, any bribe by such an official or employee.

b) Any action having as its object the entry or participation in a competition of an automobile known to be ineligible therefor.

c) Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.
International Sporting Code of the FIA
Autosport's chronological archive of every article to do with these cases
Rob W wrote:I cannot see how they aren't being punished and expect McLaren and certainly the level headed Frank Williams to query/protest/appeal the lack of punishment.
Certainly McLaren can exercise their right to pursue whatever they please wherever they please. Doing so within the FIA without additional evidence - which was in ample supply in the previous case, having been volunteered by Alonso to Ecclestone after the Hungarian GP and dug up by an Italian police branch responsible with electronic communications - may prove hard to do given the much clearer nature of the Reanult affair, but there's always the legal option that remains. Why Frank Williams would feel partial to this, I can't really perceive right now.
Rob W wrote:A quick look alone at someone else's designs could easily be quantifiable as an advantage in the millions of $ of saved research time. Renault had hundred of drawings on their network which many people viewed in detail and over a period of time. Tens of millions of $ worth of time has been saved on development - not to mention it was completely against all intellectual property laws aside from the rules of F1.
I guess you didn't read the clarification Mclaren made to their previous press releases about the case. Rather than hundreds of drawings, the 11 disks contained 33 files, including 18 drawings (propably CAD). In addition there were a few paper copies about McLaren's mass damper project, documents that had become unusable due to unrelated FIA actions around the time the files were uploaded to Mackereth's personal file, and nowhere else but automatic backup files. I guess there's no record of anyone actually using or editing the drawings, that would've come up prominently in the proceedings.

Seven of the nine people that have admitted being aware of the Mclaren documents available to Mackereth actually said they had only seen unspecified paper copies. This is remarkable, since obviously there's no electronic record left behind from doing that and thus they didn't seem to have any reason to admit to anything at all. Save for perhaps the insignificance of the event itself. Yes, property laws were breached, and it's up to McLaren to pursue the matter.
Rob W wrote:The evidence which has come out of a systematic loading, dissemination and discussion of McLaren's technical data cannot be a more pristine example of how to break the technical rules of F1. The only way you could do a better (or worse) job would be to copy the designs exactly.
Certainly one can call an upload of files to one location of an integrated design network, and printing a few items for better measure, a pristine example of how a team is complicit in breaking the sporting rules of the FIA by the actions of its employees. As to the comparison it must be accurate since Coughlan, de la Rosa and Alonso actively consulted the complete designs of F2007. I don't believe anyone has, as of yet, suggested that Fisichella, Kovalainen or Piquet have done the same, or that Renault has in effect tried to test Mclaren's car in their simulator.

But let's wait for the full decision and the transcripts. Hopefully they'll clarify some things for us yet.

Rob W

I don't disagree with you on many of those points Checkered but would like to offer alternative arguments. They might spur some other ideas in some of the points you made.
checkered wrote:Please specify where, exactly, possession of another teams IP is explicitly specified as an act that can only lead to complete exclusion.
It doesn't but has previously been stated by the bosses of F1 themselves that that would be the punishment if a team was found to have breached the rules seriously. As it stands they haven't done it. The rules were written, I imagine, without specific penalties prescribed because of the potential for cheating in technical areas which would be hard to cover completely, not to mention the penalties would have to change yearly to factor in comparative costs/revenue etc. This is why the "possession" alone doctrine is accepted and the bar set. Renault failed this test massively.
checkered wrote:I guess you didn't read the clarification Mclaren made to their previous press releases about the case. Rather than hundreds of drawings, the 11 disks contained 33 files, including 18 drawings (propably CAD). In addition there were a few paper copies about McLaren's mass damper project, documents that had become unusable due to unrelated FIA actions around the time the files were uploaded to Mackereth's personal file, and nowhere else but automatic backup files. I guess there's no record of anyone actually using or editing the drawings, that would've come up prominently in the proceedings.
Personal file? This I have serious issue with. He works for the team - they own the computers and the network. How can anyone claim anything is ever been loaded onto a work network for any reason other than as part of the operations of the company? Likewise, how can they claim it was his personal drive and therefore less of a crime when Mike Coulghan's home computer was part of the evidence against McLaren. Surely a home computer is less of a crime than a work/network computer in the design department???
checkered wrote:Seven of the nine people that have admitted being aware of the Mclaren documents available to Mackereth actually said they had only seen unspecified paper copies. This is remarkable, since obviously there's no electronic record left behind from doing that
So more people in Renault's design department saw (it really doesn't matter why the admitted it - just that they have) these designs than the McLaren case (or at least was admitted/proven in the McLaren case)? How then can the crime of attempting to make use of the info be less than the McLaren case? More design department people saw the info. It's irrelevant that they only saw a few things which are deemed now to be not that important - because they didn't know that until they'd looked at it. For all they knew they were about to look at the golden key to McLaren's car design. As it turns out it wasn't but the point is they're now using a "yes, we cheated technically... but the info wasn't any good so we didn't get any performance advantage out of it" type of excuse which is laughable. It's like robbing a bank and then trying to excuse the crime by saying in court "but I only got $22".
checkered wrote:Certainly one can call an upload of files to one location of an integrated design network, and printing a few items for better measure, a pristine example of how a team is complicit in breaking the sporting rules of the FIA by the actions of its employees. As to the comparison it must be accurate since Coughlan, de la Rosa and Alonso actively consulted the complete designs of F2007.
Uploading files to "one location of an integrated design network". It was on Renault's design department network - the worst possible place on the entire planet it could be for someone to try to deny claims of cheating. If it was only on his wife's lap-top I might think differently but there is absolutely no way that loading it onto the network can be anything other than for the sole intention of looking at and sharing the info with others. I mean the whole reason of existence for a network is to share information. Are they trying to say now that they loaded it onto a network to not show it to anyone? (and they are designing F1 cars? :lol: )

De La Rosa and Alonso are not designers either which I think is a mitigating point. The crime at McLaren was 99% Coulghan and 1% the drivers. Nor did the drivers see the design info (unless I missed that page in the transcript - it was a tad long to read all of sorry).

I am eagerly awaiting the transcripts of this. Frank Williams (and BMW etc) has a deep vested interest in this for sure. Why? Because, as a signatory to the F1 agreement, he has every right to protest a team which beat his and has been caught cheating. They earned money from it and, worse, it costs him money and reduces the efficiency of his design department comparatively. - I mean if there are at least two teams who, through foul play, were getting the benefit of someone else's design efforts, then Frank's team has been defrauded of revenue.

I would wage money the teams not involved in the spying scandals have gone to the FIA and said they want compensation for 2007 and perhaps even 2006 now.

Rob W

checkered

Rob W wrote:It doesn't but has previously been stated by the bosses of F1 themselves that that would be the punishment if a team was found to have breached the rules seriously. As it stands they haven't done it. The rules were written, I imagine, without specific penalties prescribed because of the potential for cheating in technical areas which would be hard to cover completely, not to mention the penalties would have to change yearly to factor in comparative costs/revenue etc. This is why the "possession" alone doctrine is accepted and the bar set. Renault failed this test massively.
You make valid

and interesting points there. It is consistently said that breaches are treated with zero tolerance (implicating the heaviest penalty should be automatic). Yet the international sporting code lists a wide variety of penalties, which in light of this is a bit baffling. I don't know if it's specified anywhere, but are the lesser penalties only for stewards to consider? Another thing is that the bosses don't put their money where their mouth is - everyone "agrees" about exclusions, but there's almost a 100% history i.e. precedent of lesser penalties.

It's almost as if the teams are forced to settle issues with gentlemens' agreements so that the FIA doesn't have to bother. Then there's also the issue that there are technical and sporting rules. Very many seem to be confused about the two, can't tell them apart, don't appreciate the distinction and perhaps for good reason. These two enable at least three scenarios, two of which have been judged on more or less consistently, but at least fairly frequently. There's a variety of pure sporting violations (track conduct, team orders) that has little to nothing to do with technical issues. There are technical violations (designing parts with false tolerances, underweight) that have sporting ramifications but can be ruled mainly on intentionality and technical merits.

This latest thing is something new. A sporting issue (IP misappropriation, espionage) with grave technical ramifications. I see loads of very experienced people getting all mixed up in trying to apply precedents to this order of things, and those precedents don't fit. In fact, the Renault decision (I'm loath to call it verdict, since it ain't a court of law) went according to the only precedent I can think of in the FIA trying to deal with comparable issues. I guess with McLaren/Ferrari the FIA felt compelled to act, since had they waited for the police investigations and court cases to end, they might've as well shut down F1 for the time being. Toyota vs. Ferrari was dealt with in courts, but then again it wasn't a championship nor an urgent issue.

Humongously bad choices on offer all around. This is why I've consistently asked who takes responsibility for F1 in its entirety? The Renault case seems much more straightforward and simple than the McLaren case - given the precedent they approached it quite fearlessly. The WMSC placed trust in McLaren that they had done everything they could've to uncover every aspect of Coughlan's activities and reported everything in their knowledge. This was supremely important in order to keep the championship going in a believable setting. They hadn't and that's a sporting issue, and a pretty straightforward one at that, as well. I fully expect the WMSC to hold Renault to that standard.
Rob W wrote:Personal file? This I have serious issue with. He works for the team - they own the computers and the network. How can anyone claim anything is ever been loaded onto a work network for any reason other than as part of the operations of the company? Likewise, how can they claim it was his personal drive and therefore less of a crime when Mike Coulghan's home computer was part of the evidence against McLaren. Surely a home computer is less of a crime than a work/network computer in the design department???
They don't have to claim it was less of a breach, it's that simple. It was taken and possessed by an engineer who works for a new employer in direct competition with his old employer. It doesn't matter where the originally misappropriated IP is physically, unless it's in its accepted form - in the engineer's recollection. Some people, drivers included, within McLaren made concerted efforts to understand and even incorporate foreign IP information in their car (tyre gas, CoG being the clearer examples), so they equally had IP there even if it wasn't in its original form or even if they failed to understand it. F1 doesn't race paper documents or computer files, after all.

The only publicly detailed information in the Renault case (mass damper) became unusable at the time it was brought into the Renault system - this might prove to be more than just a coincidence. Where the original misappropriated IP is matters mostly in proving the trail of possession. And clearly there's significance in stating that the documents were in Mackereth's personal computer file - McLaren wouldn't have had to state it if it hadn't.
Rob W wrote:So more people in Renault's design department saw (it really doesn't matter why the admitted it - just that they have) these designs than the McLaren case (or at least was admitted/proven in the McLaren case)? How then can the crime of attempting to make use of the info be less than the McLaren case? More design department people saw the info. It's irrelevant that they only saw a few things which are deemed now to be not that important - because they didn't know that until they'd looked at it. For all they knew they were about to look at the golden key to McLaren's car design. As it turns out it wasn't but the point is they're now using a "yes, we cheated technically... but the info wasn't any good so we didn't get any performance advantage out of it" type of excuse which is laughable. It's like robbing a bank and then trying to excuse the crime by saying in court "but I only got $22".

Uploading files to "one location of an integrated design network". It was on Renault's design department network - the worst possible place on the entire planet it could be for someone to try to deny claims of cheating. If it was only on his wife's lap-top I might think differently but there is absolutely no way that loading it onto the network can be anything other than for the sole intention of looking at and sharing the info with others. I mean the whole reason of existence for a network is to share information. Are they trying to say now that they loaded it onto a network to not show it to anyone? (and they are designing F1 cars? :lol: )
Who said more people saw stuff in Renault's design dept. than in McLaren's? That we don't know is part of Mclaren's failure to live up to the terms of the first decision of the WMSC in their case. And we don't know if and how Mackereth informed the ones he showed the documents to of what they were about to see. At McLaren Coughlan, de la Rosa and Alonso knew explicitly what the information was, in fact made specific requests as to the desired content and were under no illusion as to whence it came.

And yes, that's the beauty integrated design networks - who has done what with which file can most likely be traced accurately, since the overall system has to deliver any changes to all designers in real time to prevent mishaps. Therefore it's very likely that any attempt to incorporate that data anywhere would be self-evident. In fact, you don't want misappropriated IP in such a network if you think you'll need to deny having it later. Then again people are fallible. I've gotten the impression that Mackereth waited five months until bringing the files to work. If that is the case then answering "Why?" might work either in Renault's or McLarens favour.
Rob W wrote:De La Rosa and Alonso are not designers either which I think is a mitigating point. The crime at McLaren was 99% Coulghan and 1% the drivers. Nor did the drivers see the design info (unless I missed that page in the transcript - it was a tad long to read all of sorry).
Then I must be a more avid reader of transcripts of the two of us. Or perhaps it's time you referred the latest one? :wink:
Rob W wrote:I am eagerly awaiting the transcripts of this. Frank Williams (and BMW etc) has a deep vested interest in this for sure. Why? Because, as a signatory to the F1 agreement, he has every right to protest a team which beat his and has been caught cheating. They earned money from it and, worse, it costs him money and reduces the efficiency of his design department comparatively. - I mean if there are at least two teams who, through foul play, were getting the benefit of someone else's design efforts, then Frank's team has been defrauded of revenue.
In theory, you're right. But involvement in this doesn't get you any friends with the owners of F1, their sponsors or, indeed, the FIA. Frank Williams and Patrick Head are very experienced. They'll try and help resolve these things constructively, if an opportunity presents itself, of that I'm sure.
Rob W wrote:I would wage money the teams not involved in the spying scandals have gone to the FIA and said they want compensation for 2007 and perhaps even 2006 now.
Hopefully they've agreed to something, having had a small parley with Ecclestone earlier on.

One observation still: A lot of people consistently want to draw direct parallels between what happened at McLaren and what happened at Renault. It is unfair to reduce the issues so, for both teams, especially in those instances when there's no relevant comparison to make. Both Renault and McLaren deserve to be considered by their own merits as well. I appreciate that we're dealing with a wider problem, but I can see neither McLaren nor Renault being in the ideal position to defend F1's general interest at the moment.

That is why we need to try and distance ourselves from their immediate concerns. I feel terribly frustrated by the parallels and try, whenever I can, to see beyond them. For the most part, due to the sheer weight of details which under other circumstances would be trivial, I feel like I'm failing in that pursuit.

mcdenife

Checkered wrote:
I fully expect the WMSC to hold Renault to that standard.
The standard yes. but what standard is this? Clarify why Mclaren was fined $100m, ie what reason did the WMSC give? because that should the standard (or the precedent).

ben_watkins