Renault in new spy scandal!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Seas

After reading World Motor Sport Council decision on Spy story, you have to admit that this is ALMOST carbon copy of previous case with Ferarry first hearing. Of course, there is no spy in McLaren lines, only one transfer of data. But decision, conclusion, explanation, almost the same like in first hearing in Ferarry – McLaren case. Interesting thing is, reading Briatore’s interview to ITV, and Renault joy in conclusion of case:

"Renault has welcomed the decision of the FIA World Motor Sport Council not to punish the team for possessing confidential information belonging to rival McLaren.
At the WMSC hearing in Monaco on Thursday, Renault was found to have breached Article 151c of Formula 1’s International Sporting Code, but escaped penalty for reasons which are expected to be disclosed on Friday.
Managing director Flavio Briatore paid tribute to the way the team and its sponsors had weathered the controversy.
“I would like to thank Renault, our title sponsor ING and all our partners for their whole-hearted support during this sensitive period,” he said in a statement.
“I also wish to pay tribute to the team, which has handled the matter with integrity and dignity.
“We are pleased that we can now focus fully on our preparations for the 2008 championship.”

Look’s like there’s no end to Briatore hypocrisy. I remember his interview after McLaren – Ferarry first hearing, when he say that "something is wrong with system. How can somebody be found guilty, and not to be punished.” Look like he is not complaining now.
:shock:
Last edited by Seas on 08 Dec 2007, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/index.html
Croatia, the small country for big relax

Seas

manchild wrote:Since punishing Renault would mean no benefit for Ferrari, WMSC didn't punish Renault. As simple as that.

Renault had blueprints for two season Mclaren cars while Mclaren had blueprints only for one season Ferrari car. And of course, there are no black drivers in Renault so that must have helped too.

Remember when Ferrari pulled strings to close down factory in South Africa that was manufacturing special alloy for Mclaren in late 90s? Senior management of Ferrari knew about secret material Mclaren used. What ever happened to them? Did WMSC ever questioned how Ferrari senior management found out about specific part on Mclaren car?

Was there ever a punishment for Ferrari because their senior management caused farce in Austrian GP which led to death of that GP? Wasn't that against FIA sporting regulations?

F1 today = Chicago 1930's. Bunch of rival gangs, corrupted police and courts. Gang that is most generous to corrupted police and courts becomes favored.

What we need is modern F1 Eliot Ness = Paul Stoddart :!:
On some things I can agree with you. About Chicago.
But again, I can see that you are a one of this antiFerarry guys.
Did WMSC ever questioned McLaren how they know about their complain for Ferarri’s flex floor (not so obvious to see from outside)? Did WMSC ever question Renault how they know about so called “J-Damper” (even less obvious)? Did WMSC ever questioned enybody who complained about something? Did FIA ever ask enybody where he get some info about others equipment. There are a lot of cases like this. And even more we don’t know about. Teams get information’s on different ways. By spying, is for sure one of this ways. Nothing unusual in today F1. And I’m sure nothing unusual 20 years ago. Difference is only amount of money in game. And money is everything. So, everybody is spying everybody. But if you get cot you should be punished. And that is exactly what happened here. Not exactly, because they are found guilty, bat no punishment.
About Austria, is already boring to talk about that. What happened there was perfectly legal in that time. It was shame and was ugly, but was legal!!!
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/index.html
Croatia, the small country for big relax

ben_watkins

The FIA and the WMSC need to do something very, very simple.

Publish a set of rules, which have a penalty attached to each one, should they be broken. It could be a points punishment, a fine in €uros or exclusion from WCC or WDC.

Stop all this guessing, lawyers, special hearings etc. Punish those who breach the rules evenly, fairly and consistantly. :!: :idea:

PNSD

ben_watkins wrote:The FIA and the WMSC need to do something very, very simple.

Publish a set of rules, which have a penalty attached to each one, should they be broken. It could be a points punishment, a fine in €uros or exclusion from WCC or WDC.

Stop all this guessing, lawyers, special hearings etc. Punish those who breach the rules evenly, fairly and consistantly. :!: :idea:
Lol. If only it was that simple.

mcdenife

discussing the issue with the FIA or Max here, nor with an apologist for either one. One can describe things as stinking and obscene all one wants (and many do), but if one ever got the chance to get the ear of anyone who’d actually give a damn, then one needs to have a well defined point too to drive home with suitably strong terms. If you haven’t read the latest decision, OK. To me, it does represent the clearest account of what happened at Renault thus far, especially if one tunes out the rules and rulings stuff.
You are right we are not discussing the issue with max. We (on this forum at least) are discussion of the inconsistencies (or unfairness, double standard call it what u will) of the FIA' spygates decisions. Team loyalties aside, Renault and Mclaren should have been found guilty of possesion but nothing more and punished accordingly. However, the FIA went way beyond than its remit.
As to “implying” that McLaren did not come clean, many websites do advertise that it’s all speculation and suspicion. On many a website this view is being promoted again and again as it’d become true by repetition. I don’t actually have to imply anything. The team’s own drivers testified to activities that showed beyond a doubt that McLaren’s original efforts to uncover the truth and the submission based on those efforts were lacking to a serious fault. Alonso asking de la Rosa point blank to supply information via Coughlan on the up to date specifics of Ferrari being one very clear cut example. At this point it appears that Renault’s comparable effort has been much more thorough and transparent.
"testified....beyond a doubt....."That is disingenuous. Please re-read De la Rosa questioning and his answers. He also aluded of what he thought was the source of Mike c' info and what is common practice/knowledge among F1 engineering/design officionadoes (for lack of a better word) in terms of info exchange etc. and methods used to obtaining info from observations of competitors cars etc. Of the witnessess, he came across as one of the most articulate, intelligent and credible. In short nothing was confirmed or admitted and afterward the same suspicions etc remained. Put another way, nothing was proved either way regarding whether Maclaren came clean or not (whether or not you think they came clean is not enough to crucify someone. Proving it either way, however, is). Note, of MCL's drivers, De la Rosa was the only one to testify. The others simply gave written statements, the contents of which were not revealed in the transcripts.
The rulings, as I understand it, are based on access to information, the dissemination of information, the influence of the information and whether the information was considered for use/used. Possession of ill gained IP is illegal, but apparently that alone isn’t a sporting consideration. Yes, I’d love what I call a more “nuanced” approach, but as things stand, teams face the threat of collective sporting punishments for these sorts of things. There are solid reasons for that too, it is an approach that is accepted and prevalent far beyond Formula One. But to be blunt, fairness from a moral standpoint is a hard thing to restore once someone decides to knowingly breach the rules. That will reflect quite naturally in the processes and rulings as well, not intentionally, but merely because a response, if there is to be one, must have a degree of effectiveness.

"Knowingly breach the rules"? Put simply, who did? That is they key question. Was it ever established in any of the first 2 hearings? A couple of extracts from the wmsc decision in justifying its punishment of mclaren (Full decision here):
Neither Ferrari nor McLaren have ever disputed (whether at the 26 July WMSC meeting or since) that confidential Ferrari information was passed from Stepney to Coughlan during the period in question. However, the new evidence regarding the number and timing of the contacts makes it far more likely that there was a systematic flow of Ferrari confidential information to Coughlan leading to the
conclusion that the illicit communication of information was very likely not limited to the transmission of the Ferrari dossier discovered at Coughlan’s home on 3 July 2007. This conclusion is corroborated in the e-mails exchanged between McLaren’s drivers (see above).
:::
The WMSC does not have evidence that any complete Ferrari design was copied and subsequently wholly incorporated into the McLaren car as a result of Coughlan passing confidential from Stepney to McLaren. However, it is difficult to accept that the secret Ferrari information that was within Coughlan’s knowledge never influenced his judgement in the performance of his duties. It is not necessary for McLaren to have copied a complete Ferrari design for it to have benefited from Coughlan’s knowledge. For example, the secret Ferrari information cannot but have informed the views Coughlan expressed to others in the McLaren design department, for example regarding which design projects to prioritise or which research to pursue. The advantage gained may have been as subtle as Coughlan being in a position to suggest alternative ways of approaching different design challenges.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

checkered

mcdenife wrote:We (on this forum at least) are discussion of the inconsistencies (or unfairness, double standard call it what u will) of the FIA' spygates decisions. Team loyalties aside, Renault and Mclaren should have been found guilty of possesion but nothing more and punished accordingly. However, the FIA went way beyond than its remit.
Well, we on this

forum are engaged in a discussion and this thread is about Renault's dealings with McLaren IP. None of us has a monopoly on the subjects, themes and the content and I have to note that on my part (beyond debating the inconsistencies only) I'm also trying to introduce those aspects that are consistent. There are also those aspects the consistence of which doesn't matter since Renault's doings deserve to be appraised in their own right also and I'm rather desperately trying to consider that as well.

The FIA seems to have taken the view that unauthorised possession of someone else's IP, while a legal offence, isn't in itself punishable by the international sporting code. I suppose this is because the non-sporting ramifications can, and propably will be, assessed in a court of law. Also, material possession alone doesn't signify attempted use of the information. Hence the "I barely looked" defence being so overwhelmingly popular with those who have admitted to possession already. Again, the WMSC listed at least the following considerations as determining the punishability:

access to information
the dissemination of information
the influence of the information
intent to use the information

Beyond individual cases we can discuss whether that constitutes the best possible criteria. Within the individual cases we can examine whether the above standard was adhered to. Between individual cases we can try and determine what constitutes consistency in applying them.

I can also hear the echoes of many a website and discussion board in the statement that the WMSC/FIA has gone "beyond its remit". I haven't considered this too carefully, but I also suspect many who have gone on to repeat that phrase haven't done half as much. The "beyond remit" argument is currently being advocated by those who'd wish to see one or another party to F1 challenge FIA's authority in sporting matters in a civil suit of some sort. Of course I'm very interested if anyone can actually offer some insight into the self regulation of sporting associations vs. their legal environment. Here are the terms of reference of the WMSC, of which I suppose the WMSC has tried to act within the first four in this case:
1 ) To see to the enforcement of the Statutes and the International Sporting Code.
2 ) To settle any sporting question which the General Assembly has forwarded to be dealt with.
3 ) To settle any question which cannot await the General Assembly of the FIA to be dealt with subject to the rights of the Committee and of the Senate expressed in these Statutes.
4 ) To take the decisions required by the Direction of the FIA in the sporting domains which are not reserved to the General Assembly, Committee or Senate.
5 ) To manage the funds provided for in the budget for the operation of the sport.
6) To distribute to the Sporting Commissions the tasks they are to execute, to take decisions concerning the reports of these Commissions, and forward them to the Members of the FIA.
7 ) To present to the General Assembly its recommendations for the admission and the striking off the rolls or expelling of FIA Members, as well as for any sanctions which might be imposed.
8 ) To study the International Sporting Code with a view to identifying any possible modification to be proposed to the General Assembly.
9 ) To approve the Regulations and the list of races counting for the FIA Championships, Cups, Challenges and Trophies, and to recognize their results.
10 ) To propose to the General Assembly the personalities to whom the title of "Président d'Honneur", "Vice-Président d'Honneur" or "Membre d'Honneur" of the FIA or of its Commissions should be conferred.
11 ) To ensure that all records submitted under its jurisdiction be recognized as rapidly as possible.
12 ) To establish and obtain approval by the General Assembly of the Internal Regulations of the FIA concerning sporting activities.
13 ) To propose to the General Assembly the Members of the Sporting Commissions; to appoint the Presidents of the Commissions.
14 ) To make regular reports to the FIA Annual General Assembly on the activities of the World Motor Sport Council.
15 ) The World Motor Sport Council, if it deems it necessary, may include persons representative of certain categories or international corporative bodies concerned with motor sport in certain Sporting Commissions, after having proposed their membership to the General Assembly. These persons will be present in an advisory (but non-voting) capacity, after prior agreement of the ACN or ASN of the country concerned.
16 ) The World Motor Sport Council may, in the framework of the sport, constitute when necessary special geographical structures for organising, developing and controlling regional sporting activities. Each one of these structures must include at least one representative on the World Motor Sport Council elected under the conditions set down in the Internal Regulations of the FIA
17 ) The World Motor Sport Council shall meet when convened by the President of the FIA as often as he deems it necessary and no less than 3 times a year.
18 ) Should the World Motor Sport Council consider that the sporting interests of the FIA are not adequately defended in a particular country or a specific territory, the Council may, after consulting the organization affiliated to the FIA if any, take such steps as are in the opinion of the Council necessary and desirable to give effective representation to that country or territory in the various bodies of the FIA.
mcdenife wrote:... Please re-read De la Rosa questioning and his answers. He also aluded of what he thought was the source of Mike c' info and what is common practice/knowledge among F1 engineering/design officionadoes (for lack of a better word) in terms of info exchange etc. and methods used to obtaining info from observations of competitors cars etc. Of the witnessess, he came across as one of the most articulate, intelligent and credible. In short nothing was confirmed or admitted and afterward the same suspicions etc remained. Put another way, nothing was proved either way regarding whether Maclaren came clean or not (whether or not you think they came clean is not enough to crucify someone. Proving it either way, however, is). Note, of MCL's drivers, De la Rosa was the only one to testify. The others simply gave written statements, the contents of which were not revealed in the transcripts.
I remember de la Rosa's questioning quite well. His testimony didn't change the published content of the text messages, the confirmed trail of those text messages, nor the sources/quality/amount of IP information that wasn't supposed to be found nor applied withing McLaren in any manner or form. In Renault's case there was no need to request affidavits from the team's drivers nor question them, so I'm wondering what the relevance of de la Rosa's statements here in this context is in the first place? There's no comparison to make there and de la Rosa's statements as such made no reference to Renault.

Beyond this, of course, as I stated before, in the context of sporting regulations and enforcing them, valid suspicions that could be examined on will remaining unresolved doesn't work in one's favour. It hardly makes your case if you state that suspicions remain because things weren't admitted to or confirmed, especially whereas it's in someone's power to disprove suspicions that have rational enough grounds to land in front of the WMSC to consider. In McLaren/Ferrari's case the FIA chose not to examine or make distinctions between a team's leadership sincerely trying to co-operate but failing and a team's leadersip failing to co-operate for some other reason.

The WMSC seemed to choose to ignore this in part because there were already grounds to consider exclusion, the heaviest penalty. My criticisms of the FIA with regard to McLaren/Ferrari's case have to do with FIA's actions possibly reducing or impeding McLaren's chances of succeeding in its co-operation (as in complete openness and willingness to find out everything that happened) to begin with, a level of openness the FIA on the other hand seemed to require of McLaren.

The schedules imposed (especially before the first hearing) were very tight, the immunity provided to the drivers seemingly put McLaren's leadership in an almost impossible position (and as far as remits go, Frank Williams went as far as cautiously stating he didn't remember what part of the presidents statute actually enabled him to offer the drivers immunity), and so on. As a layman, I would've challenged the process on those grounds, but I guess McLaren has reasons why it hasn't done so.

Any comparisons with another case seem like an unnecessary detour if one wants McLaren's case somehow re-examined still. Doubtless McLaren's representation, if asked, will dismiss suggestions that a possible re-examination of their own previous case motivated them in part in taking Renault through the same process as they had endured, instead of challenging Renault's IP misappropriation in a court of law (suggested by Ecclestone, I think). And as has been stated, insofar as it was in McLaren's interest to find out what Renault had done, other considerations beyond that wouldn't have added to the validity of their immediate concerns.

This of course doesn't prevent many in the media and numerous messageboard posters from seeing McLaren/Renault vs. Ferrari/McLaren in the very context of completely challenging the earlier case, its end result and ramifications.
mcdenife wrote:"Knowingly breach the rules"? Put simply, who did? That is they key question. Was it ever established in any of the first 2 hearings?
You ask me this and then proceed to quote a WMSC meeting document that in its opening lines goes on to state "Neither Ferrari nor McLaren have ever disputed (whether at the 26 July WMSC meeting or since) that confidential Ferrari information was passed from Stepney to Coughlan during the period in question."? Furthermore I used that word in the context of trying to explain that holding a company responsible for its employees' actions is a commonplace legal principle all over the World.

Furthermore, as ignorance of rules doesn't generally constitute a valid defence of braking them, I used the term "knowingly" because at the very least it implies that there are certain things that quite naturally should be suspected of running foul of rules. Common sense would have it that receiving current data from a competing firm should raise such suspicions, following from "knowing", if not specifically, that there are rules about such things. But this is semantics, even if I did enjoy Bill Clinton debating the meaning of word "is" with regard to the nature of his relationship with one Ms. Lewinsky.

Bill Clinton and the Meaning of "Is" - link, Slate

But what was this thread about, again? Oh right, Renault being in unauthorised possession of McLaren IP.

ben_watkins

Yeah and i bet that the FIA find 1 screw that is similar to Ferrari on the McLaren 2008 car and exclude them from the WCC.. :evil:

Rob W

If the punishment was this - for the entire next season - I bet teams would think twice..

[IMG:600:300]http://i4.tinypic.com/6ybg32o.jpg[/img]

[IMG:600:300]http://i5.tinypic.com/86462z5.jpg[/img]

R

allan

lool or write: "We are cheaters" on the rear wing :D

Rob W

Further to my post on the previous page about Renault's use of the information they got from McLaren. I am still adamant that it's flawed legally and morally to view them in a more lenient light because they didn't make any use of the McLaren designs they obtained.

They didn't know the designs were useless until they'd studied them. THAT is the point I think the WMC/FIA have wrong. What if the design info they'd got was really useful?.. At what point do you start saying: "it was xx useful, therefore the punishment will be xx"? Again, possession alone is the bar set in the rules - so they are guilty.

On other details, Martin Brundle, was quoted today as saying:
"I accept there was an element of 'live' transfer of unpublished information over three months between Stepney of Ferrari and Coughlan of McLaren, but it seems the actual proof of information within the Renault team was significantly more damning."
(Full article: http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954, ... 14,00.html)

Legally and morally I agree with him. Renault's base fraud is worse than McLaren's in some ways. They received the info from someone who brought it into the design department with the sole intention of using it to gain advantage. It was disseminated throughout members of the design department. The fact that it wasn't of much use (which could be disputed on many levels) should be irrelevant.

Something fishy has gone on here. A significant rule breach (not to mention crime) was committed and I don't see much finger-pointing happening at Renault, either at Phil Mackereth or at the other staff who had access, on their own network, to the info for a whole year. None of them owned up to or started the mandatory process of reporting any activities of this kind with an eye to absolving the team of involvement/liability. The admission of all of this only came about because they were worried about McLaren's knowledge of it all - so they pre-empted it by saying they've come clean. Even then, they held the secret long enough and saw what happened to McLaren - so isn't it highly possible they got their ducks in a row, removed the really damning stuff and then came clean? A competent IT guy could make things go away forever no problems given the task and enough time.

I also don't like the fact that Bernie sat on the panel when he is involved in a large business venture with Flavio (they co-own the Queens Park Rangers).

R

checkered

Rob W wrote: Further to my post on the previous page about Renault's use of the information they got from McLaren. I am still adamant that it's flawed legally and morally to view them in a more lenient light because they didn't make any use of the McLaren designs they obtained.
Were they in

fact viewed in a more lenient light? They got exactly the same benefit of a doubt that McLaren got, with the same exceptions. Legal considerations are for the courts and if McLaren takes the case of possession there (they are, aren’t they?), I’m pretty confident they’ll get compensation. The sporting side falls to FIA’s self regulation and not law, so I gather that if you think there are “legal flaws” they must have something to do with FIA’s regulations/actions and law being incompatible? And that in turn would be consistent with challenging FIA’s authority, standing or actions in sporting matters, right? Then do you want to argue that the flaws had only to do with McLaren, or is there a universal quality to these flaws? There are pretty significant ramifications depending on that alone.
Rob W wrote:They didn't know the designs were useless until they'd studied them. THAT is the point I think the WMC/FIA have wrong. What if the design info they'd got was really useful?.. At what point do you start saying: "it was xx useful, therefore the punishment will be xx"? Again, possession alone is the bar set in the rules - so they are guilty.
One can argue ”what if” indefinitely, especially if there’s scant evidence in any direction. I don’t think you’d get anywhere with that, let alone resolve a single case. But yes, as I wrote earlier, I think that Renault could’ve been punished on sporting grounds – only it’s doubtful that such a thing can happen with the WMSC’s criteria (see above) as I’ve understood those. My own logic (and morals) state that since four designers in senior positions (Densham, Osgood, Allison, Duffy) got to see at least one design each and they let Mackereth come and destroy any and all photocopies they had (Upon Mackereth learning that a former Renault employee who had moved to McLaren had apparently informed them of the designs?), it incriminates the team as a whole by the managers failing to prevent an act that in itself embodies guilt with regard of running foul of rules.

But then again, McLaren would’ve been equally punished on those grounds as well. Coughlan held, copied, disseminated and destroyed IP which was immensely more comprehensive than what Mackereth ever had. (Even by Coughlan’s first affidavit, on which the first McLaren decision was largely based.) The amount may not matter legally, but as long as the legal ramifications can’t be compared, it has to be said that in a moral and sporting sense there’s a huge difference. I can’t fault the FIA for not wanting to deal with possession as that is the sole domain of the legal system, but that does put the association in an ill defined position when it comes to IP matters as a sporting issue.
Rob W wrote:Renault's base fraud is worse than McLaren's in some ways. They received the info from someone who brought it into the design department with the sole intention of using it to gain advantage. It was disseminated throughout members of the design department. The fact that it wasn't of much use (which could be disputed on many levels) should be irrelevant.
Legally, it’s easy to agree with Brundle. And in time, we’ll see how the legal matters turn out with regard to possession of IP, so we might just as well wait it out. But it’s an impossible stretch of imagination that what happened at Renault was (and what a beautifully comprehensive and emotive term it is) “worse”. That argument is devalued by the mere fact that Renault’s sole role in that comparison is to have people focus on McLaren, preferrably in the role of being on the receiving end of some fanciful retrospective injustice. How unfair is that towards Renault, who had nothing to do with McLaren’s endeavors with Ferrari? Not to mention for the apparent need to continually come up with new rationalisations after first deciding about the “worseness” of Renault’s behaviour. That impression was only strengthened by the “corrections” McLaren themselves had to hastily issue before the hearing took place. We heard the “worse” argument right off the bat as McLaren took the case to the WMSC.

And there has been no letoff since, no matter what has been known (or supposed) at the time. If I wanted to challenge the FIA, I wouldn’t go there, it’s an immensely weak argument in all. But perhaps this is just a PR effort, blowing off steam and not in any sense a serious effort to examine in depth what can be learned from this and what must be changed as a result. I quite understand that to get perspective on these things, some months or years between the event and the observer will help in distinguishing between important and insignificant things.

The use of the four drawings (plus the “screen grab”) was actually well established. The damper drawings were employed in trying to get technology banned, just as McLaren did with the floor bib issue. A fuel system schematic and a longitudinal cross section of a gearbox’s gear cluster doesn’t get one very far without a significant effort, something that wasn’t undertaken.
Rob W wrote:Something fishy has gone on here. A significant rule breach (not to mention crime) was committed and I don't see much finger-pointing happening at Renault, either at Phil Mackereth or at the other staff who had access, on their own network, to the info for a whole year. None of them owned up to or started the mandatory process of reporting any activities of this kind with an eye to absolving the team of involvement/liability. The admission of all of this only came about because they were worried about McLaren's knowledge of it all - so they pre-empted it by saying they've come clean. Even then, they held the secret long enough and saw what happened to McLaren - so isn't it highly possible they got their ducks in a row, removed the really damning stuff and then came clean? A competent IT guy could make things go away forever no problems given the task and enough time.
The level of access to Renault, by both the FIA and its technical representative and McLaren and Kroll OnTrack (a security firm they hired to weed through Renault’s systems, including the backup files from which information is indelible to the degree that McLaren and Renault have had to agree on special arrangements since there’s no way the files and their history can be deleted from there), has evidently been comprehensive and thorough.

No doubt there’s a “fishy” side to getting one’s hands on competitor’s IP. That goes without saying. It’s not a great legal argument, though. I hope juries (or public opinion) aren’t too easily persuaded by “fishiness”, nor some subjective “badness” of things. There are ample facts to consider, after all and if not that, at least the obvious lack of those and the reasons behind the lack of facts to consider.

How can Formula One justify blatant double standards? – Martin Brundle, The Times Online

Brundle has written an article, weighed arguments with great care and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some legal counselling as well. The FIA is extremely unlikely to succeed in its suit, that much is clear. Still, despite Brundle’s assurances that he has no “issues” with McLaren or Renault, I very much doubt the people at Renault are very happy at digesting the rest of his characterisations.

Rob W

checkered wrote:Were they in fact viewed in a more lenient light? They got exactly the same benefit of a doubt that McLaren got, with the same exceptions. Legal considerations are for the courts and if McLaren takes the case of possession there...
etc...

Fair calls on all of those points. As I said, the consistency and onus of proving innocence etc is turning out to be a pretty roll-the-dice kind of thing in F1.

I am still of the mindset that it doesn't matter that Renault made no use of the info they got, nor that they came clean. They did this a year after the fact, and weren't in a position to know whether the info was useful prior to passing it around to look at. The tried to cheat, they did everything needed to cheat, but since it wasn't any use - they've been let off.

The president of this is you can use other people's info as long as you can prove later you didn't use it. :lol:

R

Ciro Pabón

ben_watkins wrote:The FIA and the WMSC need to do something very, very simple.

Well, I can give you several consistent rules and their monetary equivalent, in what you could call "The Provisional Official FIA Rule Book on Exact Penalties":

- 100 million: phoning 174, or so, times your adversary chief designer.
- 0 million and your car designs for everybody to see: hiring someone of the "other factory" with a bunch of plans (NOTE: almost everybody has a bunch of plans, so beware. You must only hire people who has no access to a CD burner or a computer).
- 0 million and no slap on the wrist: flexing your floor.
- Civil court case: walking around with your pockets dirty.
- Priceless: losing the championship in the last 2 races by one point.
- Extra priceless: the "rookie driver" wins the WDC in his first attempt with the team, against all odds (curiously throwing all bets in the world toward The House :twisted:), but you decide to use the "older guy", that lost the WDC twice in a row, to do your car testing, to prove... to prove what?
- 500 million (per year): trying to get 8th position in the WCC using japanese bosses.
- 15 million (per year) and no seat before Christmas: receiving data of your competitor on tire pressures from your test driver.

I'm sure these rules could (should?) be amended by other people in the forum. Slowly, FIA is moving into the world of "buy your way out of that penalty". ;)
Ciro

checkered

Rob W wrote:The president of this is you can use other people's info as long as you can prove later you didn't use it. :lol:
Ciro Pabón wrote:Well, I can give you several consistent rules and their monetary equivalent, in what you could call "The Provisional Official FIA Rule Book on Exact Penalties": ...

I'm sure these rules could (should?) be amended by other people in the forum. Slowly, FIA is moving into the world of "buy your way out of that penalty".
;)
I agree, that

is worrisome. The lack of applicable standards is something that should've been recognised as the amounts of money within the sport started to grow. Before, people were disinclined to care too much, rightly or wrongly. F1 also has a troubled past of managing technological advances (some of the best ideas being summarily banned, technologies eating into budgets rather than adding value). Furthermore, I believe F1's "costs" are pretty fictional. The biggest teams have technology partners in the defence industries etc. and the technologies and services they exchange are arbitrarily priced at best.

I don't think it's the correct signal if attempted cheating is tacitly approved because "everybody does it". Rather, we need to deflate the rationale for cheating - and not by turning F1 into a spec series either. I'd support anyone who comes up with a rational plan to do this as the next FIA president. Ciro makes excellent points with his list - suddenly people don't know what is valuable in F1 anymore. (Except for us in F1T, who have 20/20 vision :lol: ) People don't seem to know how to extract value from F1, either, as if downsizing was the only way to protect the profit margin. All this is reflected in how breaches in rules are appraised. This supports the case for changes of leadership in the sport.

It's not that they've done a good or a bad job previously, it just follows naturally from being too intimately involved with something for too long - one loses the capability to make distinctions and everything becomes relative. Clearly there's now a drive to challenge the current leadership in earnest. And there's a history of controversies preceding leadership changes in F1. I only hope that the change doesn't begin, or rather end, with a biased position. Change is one thing, change for the better is another.

Belatti

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna